Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you all know my new edge broke ( why would I get a good one?) So I took it off and they sent me a new one. Edge is very nice (except for their picture police). I talked for 20 minutes to the edge service guy.

I told him I wanted to keep my truck and maybe (God Willing) put 300k on it. I asked him if the tranny would hold with the edge mounted to it. He himmed and hawed and said "well maybe on level one, maybe." That is the reason Im selling it.

Does anyone here have 2-300k with a stock tranny and juice? What do you guys think about this?
Edited by: problemchild

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hmmm, I don't think the Edge will have much to do with it. It's how you drive it with the Juice mounted. If you drive it like it was still stock, without using the power, I'm sure it would be the same. But if you use the extra power, doing jack rabit starts, hole shots, or even holding speed in OD on 6* grades with 10k; then stands to reason it will likely decrease the longevity of most everything in the drive line to some degree. Then again, if you don't use the power, why buy it? I know I've been using mine.

Not much use, but that's what I think (you asked)
Edited by: BadDog

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
HAVING A STOCK TRANNY AT 200K-300K WITH "STOCK" JUICE IS LIKE HAVING A SISTER THAT HAS FAKE TITS AT THE AGE OF 16 AND NO ONE SEEING THEM????????? WTF?????????? KEEP YOUR FUEL FILTERED PROPERLY AND YOU WILL SEE IT IN YOUR LIFE TIME

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think PC is asking an interesting question. And, in regards to BadDog, if you are not going to use the additional power then, why install it in the first place?

While I percieve that many DieselPlace members are engaged in a neverending quest of insane power and 10 second quarter mile times
, I am willing to bet that some members are simply looking for some additional power while not wanting to modify their tranny.

So, how about it? Has anyone been running a Juice long enough to log a a lot of miles without modifying/repairing the trans?

·
Banned
394 Posts
i dont know bout all that tranny stuff i just wanna meet pnut's sister

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
sloth said:
I am willing to bet that some members are simply looking for some additional power while not wanting to modify their tranny.

So, how about it? Has anyone been running a Juice long enough to log a a lot of miles without modifying/repairing the trans?

I think it's unfortunate that most of the Juice owners only emphasize thrashing and trashing. I dragged my feet for over a year and 36,000 miles before going to the Juice for that reason. The irony is that the Juice on low and medium settings is a real benefit and pleasure and smooths out and wakes up the performance of the trucks in a way that has to be experienced to fully understand! I've run three versions of the Juice now for nearly 45,000 miles and none of them have been "Hot" versions. My current Juice and Attitude I run in level 4 day-to-day and on levels 2 and 3 towing. I've no reason or desire to flog my truck and don't use level 5 for just that reason. I don't want to slip my trans or pay big bucks to upgrade it for a few extra horses or pounds of torque. Nothing against the tire-smokers, racers and pullers, just not my thing!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Sloth said: "And, in regards to BadDog, if you are not going to use the additional power then, why install it in the first place?"

Hmmm, I think I said that. </v:stroke></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:f></v:ulas></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shape></v:imagedata></v:shape>

And I agree 100% with Idle_Chatter (love that name) on all points. And like him, I put off buying the chip due to concerns about hurting my truck and the warranty. I've only recently upgraded my '02 if that tells you something. I have no interest in flogging my truck on the track or anywhere else, but I do enjoy the performance with the Juice, and I must admit that I just had to wring it out a few times "just to see". Now that's out of my system and I run 4 (90 hp) around town with 2 towing. Maybe I can run 3 towing after a muffler upgrade. But I do still expect over 200k out of this truck, we'll have to wait and see if I'm disappointed...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Am I the only one that has had a truck payment for the past 10 years or more? Who cares if the thing is gonna go 300k. I'll put my 60 to 80k on it and then get a new one. So... why not enjoy those miles as much as possible. The thought of actually OWNING a truck that cost almost 40k just to watch it slowly wither and die is not very appealing. Maybe some people dont put 20k a year on thier vehicles and live in FLA and love to wax things. How come I can't seem to find any .. post about this new Edge and how it runs out?

·
Registered
91 Posts
hi y'all. i have a new 04 gmc ccab dually 4x4 with a lly and ally trans. i carry a 10.8 corsair camper and my gvw loaded is about 12000 lbs. also i sometimes tow a suzuki behind with a boat on it(about 2500 lbs) what trans mods ??should i make to insure long life. i drive hard and fast(like i stole it)! i will us a power programmer when they are avail. i am now changing the intake system to a k&n unit. what exh system fits the best on this truck?? flowmaster or banks or magnaflow?? or whatever? cost is not really a problem. thanks for your help!
bubba jim

·
Registered
91 Posts
bubba said:
hi y'all. i have a new 04 gmc ccab dually 4x4 with a lly and ally trans. i carry a 10.8 corsair camper and my gvw loaded is about 12000 lbs. also i sometimes tow a suzuki behind with a boat on it(about 2500 lbs) what trans mods ??should i make to insure long life. i drive hard and fast(like i stole it)! i will us a power programmer when they are avail. i am now changing the intake system to a k&n unit. what exh system fits the best on this truck?? flowmaster or banks or magnaflow?? or whatever? cost is not really a problem. thanks for your help!
bubba jim
hey-wheres the help?????

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
I have a Banks setup and enjoy the throaty sound ....

Try a search on exhaust ,you'll get plenty of reading ....Or you may want to start a topic ,such as,Best Exhaust for a LLY ....

Some people maybe done with this thread and your request is a bit off topic ....

Good luck ..

Mac
Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
926 Posts
PC and Sloth... I am in the same boat you are in... I have the Juice/Attitude and would like to keep this thing running for hundreds of thousands of miles... I definately agree it's the way you drive it. I run mine on level 3/low boost level 3 and never really hammer down on it. The first day I had it I ran in on level 0 and monitored the trans slippage via the edge... each day I increased power by one level. I have not noticed any differences or variations in trans slippage throughout the power ranges when I drive normal. However, even in the stock setting, trans slippage is quite a bit and doesn't seem to increase very much with the different power settings. I usually run in regular tranny mode, not tow haul mode. I don't like the rpm's in tow haul mode. Like a lot of people say on here, I believe it has everything to do with the way you drive it. Drive it like you want it to last and it should probably last... drive it like you stole it and it probably won't last.

Dan

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
The Additude is seeing converter slip .... Set up the screen to view converter lock up on the Additude ....

Mac

·
Registered
184 Posts
Doesn't the Edge have built in protection to keep you from grenading your tranny or from putting you into Limp Mode? If so, wouldnt this ensure your tranny will last?

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
MaineMax said:
Doesn't the Edge have built in protection to keep you from grenading your tranny or from putting you into Limp Mode? If so, wouldnt this ensure your tranny will last?

Yep, the Edge senses slip and will defuel to try and reduce it. However, the slip sensing is not "instantaneous" and there will be slip/damage prior to defuel which can produce cumulative damage on the tranny. The slip may be so severe at high or "hot" programming and WOT that you could get a limp before the Edge can back off. Bottom line is that the higher levels and race programs can and do slip/damage a stock tranny if used unjudiciously. If you are a racer and want to pound out that kind of power and try and put it to the ground you are going to have to beef the tranny or eat the damage.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Mackin said:
The Additude is seeing converter slip .... Set up the screen to view converter lock up on the Additude ....

Mac

I run the "GEAR" info window on my Attitude. The gear number is not important information, but the little "lock" icon comes on with the gear number whenever the torque converter locks. My "normal" slippage when unlocked seems to run between 10 and 20% and you're right that it's only clutch slippage when the TC is locked and not actually friction surface slippage but fluid coupling in the TC until locked. Slip don't mean dip when the TC isn't locked, but I sure don't want to see any slip other than "0.0%" indicated any time that little lock is on!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts