Diesel Place banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on the freeway. truck empty not even a passenger... about 74-76mph(about 2200rpm with my tires).... had to get over a couple lanes... rolled into the throttle... turbo spooled up... didn't downshift(I rarely push it enough for it to want to downshift)

once the turbo spooled.... started to pick up speed.... BAM truck felt like someone turned off the motor.....( not the 2k limiting either) about 2-3 seconds later got neutral... and motor hit the governor!(hadn't moved my foot yet)... i'm like WTF... just coasting at this point..... then it went back into gear..... but it felt like it was locked out of overdrive... turning about 2900-3100 RPM's and not locked up!! tranny temp started climbing..

stopped at the end of the offramp.... had to rap up the motor to about 2600 to get it to move... was moving but felt horrible.... (i've cooked a few trannys in my racing days)(not d-max) this feels like it burned up bands. So now the truck moves but it feels like its only got third gear.... it will cruise down the road normal(minus locking up) but taking off feels horrible! when you get it going it never shifts... just gets more speed slowly, its putting some serious heat in the tranny.... checked the trans fluid... full, smells OK.
Truck only has 30k on the clock....

so after the story.... two questions

1 anyone ever had a similar thing with the edge?
2 anyone had a similar thing without the edge??

just trying to figure out if the edge caused it(electronic problems) or if the tranny is hurt mechanically!

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
You limped it.

The Alli went into fail safe mode third gear is the only speed you have. Although it should reset and return to normal after having turn the truck off for a few minutes.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
huh... gues it is the typical question.

Sorry guys.... great now i'm going down the road so many of you guys have all gone down previously!! lol Great!!

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I figured it wasn't the case since i pull my 25ft toy box all loaded up over the grape vine on level 3 hammered down and never have a problem.... for it to limp on the freeway with such a light accleration empty led me to believe that it was something different.....

·
Registered
543 Posts
What size tires are you running, I see you have an 11" lift, could tire size maybe be to blame? Towing a 25' toybox and not limping, and limping empty, kinda strange.

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
If you are running extra large tires it's putting added stress on the drive train and makes it easier to limp the trans with power adders. The trans will take some abuse before limping but it's only a matter of time before the clutches can't hold the power anymore.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
rolling into the power in OD limps them quick,I can limp mine now w/ the predator on 40hp and the juice level 1 and it's only the 4th time I've limped it.

I just have to remember to hammer on it so it downshifts and let 4th handle the power.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
I know some day maybe, I keep thinking I'm going to get laid off but it hasn't happened yet.
If I do I'll come up and work for u.

·
Registered
123 Posts
So if I need to accelarate on the highway with the edge on how should I do it? Would installing the ODLO work so I can just switch off OD and downshift then go? What about from a stop. Does the edge a slight delay on the slip monitor?

dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts