Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the latest and greatest, I have a 2003 crew cab shortbed, Duramax-Allison. I am running a 4.73 Edge Juice with Attitude monitor, AFE intake, 4 inch exhaust with an Aeroturbine diesel muffler,305/70/16 Goodyears. The performance is incredible. My truck hits second gear and howls the tires, first gear goes up in smoke. The truck pulls hard from idle all the way to top speed. The 1/4 mile performance test on #5 setting, 125hp, is alot of fun at the track. My best time to date is 14.8 at 93 mph. I have an oppotunity to upgrade the Edge box to "hot",150hp max power according to Matt at Edge. My concern is limping the tranny, any one with experience or comments, please reply. Also I was wondering how long a stock Allison will hold up being chipped or any other wear problems I may be likely to see.

Also, I am a fleet manager at a GMC dealer in southern Utah. I sell GMC trucks for less! Let me know if anyone needs a Duramax or other GMC, Pontiac,Olds or Buick! I can arrange transport if nessesary.

thanks, RobertW

·
Whipper Snapper
4,490 Posts
I don't think the 150hp will limp your tranny, but I haven't been able to get my hands on one yet to say with certainty. I have a 125hp juice stacked with a 110hp program and it only limped my tranny two times the first day I had the stack. After that, I think the tranny "learned" the new power was there and acts differently now. I have not limped it since and I do a lot of 0-97mph runs, full throttle.

On the full throttle runs, the transmission actually shifts very nicely. One in about ten runs the transmission just doesn't like it and will usually slip or shift a little different, but it's never limped since that first day. My best bet would be that you could use the high hp program without limping the tranny, but I don't know if it would be a wise idea for long term wear and tear. Edge makes a very good product that is usually designed to be as friendly as a program can be to a truck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sp33d, What stack do you have , Juice with Hypertech? What chip overrides the top speed limiter and recalibrates the speedo for larger tires, is their one that does both and will stacking the boxes limp the trans if you use with moderation? thanks RobertW

·
Whipper Snapper
4,490 Posts
Yeah, my stack is a hot oj and hypertech. The hypertech adjusts the speedo for the tires, but won't remove the governor.

The Quadzilla programmer will adjust for both, though I am currently having problems with my Quadzilla tuner. I believe the Predator will also adjust for both, though I may be wrong here.

If used in moderation, stacking the juice and hypertech will not limp the tranny. If all you do is 0-60mph runs full throttle, you likely won't limp the tranny. I do 0-97mph runs fairly often and I don't limp the tranny. I also don't think that my tranny is in the best condition now though. I can't wait to get it apart (when the Suncoast gets here) to see what the clutches look like.

The Allison is a very strong transmission. Add to that a computer that protects it and I think it would take a lot to badly harm this transmission. At the same time, I think if you plan to have the truck for 100,000+ miles, stacking chips probably won't get you as much on a trade in

I don't think stacking boxes is the best idea though. If you use them in moderation, you'll probably be ok. But why stack them if you're going to use in moderation???
You might think you'll use in moderation, until the power is always there!

·
Whipper Snapper
4,490 Posts
I run 13.8 regularly, according to the G-Tech. About 415-425hp. I'm sure the stack would do better with a performance transmission. I've got a bunch of numbers and runs on the G-Tech, but I don't have the software on my computer to look at them, and the G-Tech isn't working right now as I am hardwiring it to my toggle switch panel.

Just a word of caution, if you plan to stack boxes, you'll most likely hurt your transmission. It won't kill it, but it will slowly wear on it. I have anticipated a new transmission for about six months now so I honestly didn't care what happened to the stock tranny.. In fact, I've been pushing it hard to see what the stock tranny will do and what it will handle. My truck is somewhat of a test truck in town. The local "power" house likes to use my truck to test new products, because they know I'm more about the performance of the truck and less about the truck lasting.

I can't stress enough that just because the transmission in my truck isn't limping doesn't mean it's not taking a beating everytime I give it all she's got. Like I said, I am anxious to pull the transmission out and tear it apart to see what has happened to it in the two years of torture.

Just beware if you're gonna stack boxes. The power is great, but the price may not be.

ChadEdited by: sp33d

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
sp33d said:
I run 13.8 regularly, according to the G-Tech. About 415-425hp. I'm sure the stack would do better with a performance transmission. I've got a bunch of numbers and runs on the G-Tech, but I don't have the software on my computer to look at them, and the G-Tech isn't working right now as I am hardwiring it to my toggle switch panel.

Just a word of caution, if you plan to stack boxes, you'll most likely hurt your transmission. It won't kill it, but it will slowly wear on it. I have anticipated a new transmission for about six months now so I honestly didn't care what happened to the stock tranny.. In fact, I've been pushing it hard to see what the stock tranny will do and what it will handle. My truck is somewhat of a test truck in town. The local "power" house likes to use my truck to test new products, because they know I'm more about the performance of the truck and less about the truck lasting.

I can't stress enough that just because the transmission in my truck isn't limping doesn't mean it's not taking a beating everytime I give it all she's got. Like I said, I am anxious to pull the transmission out and tear it apart to see what has happened to it in the two years of torture.

Just beware if you're gonna stack boxes. The power is great, but the price may not be.

Chad

Give it some time.............mine limps with the 135 quad WOT at 70mph.................

SUNCOAST LEVEL 5...........maybe sooner than I think

See what SANTA CLAUS has for me this year.......

T
NY

1 - 7 of 7 Posts