Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I’ve been reading all the Posts about the performance enhancements available to add a little oomph to an already great performing truck. I guess I’ve almost convinced myself to jump on the wagon. I have a 39.5’ 5th wheel Toy Hauler that weighs between 11,590 and 16,110lbs according to the manufacturer data sticker. I just got back from a trip & the total combined weight was 24,340 lbs with a full tank of fuel. I’m seeing that the addition of a programmer/tuning module will minimize or eliminate the downshift while pulling certain grades. I’m not sure what to go with but I’ve been told that if I stay with the EZ, I won’t have to add the pyrometer or change the exhaust. I would probably add the pyrometer anyway to keep an eye on EGT’s while pulling that much weight. I don’t necessarily want to change the stock exhaust; I like the “quiet ride” that comes with it (unless someone knows of an aftermarket one that is just as quiet of course). I’m not trying to heat the meats at every stoplight, but I would like to make some of the downshifts go away with a minimal amount of modifications. I’d like to hear from people who have tried to achieve the same results with minimum mods, all comments; pros and cons will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
if you just want a little bit more power go with the EZ but i like the J/A because it has more power if you get a trans or want to play and tells you egt and other stuff like that but just get what suits your needs best

·
Registered
629 Posts
NitroFish: See my signature. I was basically in the same boat as you (21k 5er, looking for more power on grades). I recently purchased the Edge EZ, and towed in level 2 from IL to FL... noticable improvement... downshifting was basically eliminated except when I forgot I was towing and trying passing people on slopes, albeit it's not the most mountainous route... but we did hit some mountains/hills in TN and northern GA. I did not notice any major increase in EGT's-- I already have EGT/boost guages. Didn't notice it being any noisier. I would strongly (STRONGLY) suggest that you get gauges IMMEDIATELY... you are really towing heavy! You might be surprised at how easily (and high) your EGTs will climb with that kind of weight! Then, once you get the Edge, monitor your EGTs.... you will probably find that you will want the bigger exhaust! :) Sometimes it pays to buy this stuff all at once-- you might be able to work up a deal with some of the vendors here. I know, I know... you're not made of money. But... if you're planning on doing it any, might as well just knock it off now, and minimize impact to your truck.

Concerning EZ vs Juice/Attitude... I already had guages and wanted them seperate from any tuners, so I didn't need the Attitude, so EZ worked fine for me (see My garage for pics of my guages-- you'll see why I like this arrangement). Some people prefer getting Juice/Attitude rather than buying seperate guages, as it has the following advantages: 1) more power levels than EZ, 2) More info displayed on monitor than just EGT/boost. The disadvantage is 1) that you pay significantly more than EZ, and 2) if you ever want to try a different tuner then you need to get EGT/boost guages again (Attitude display wont work with other tuners). You'll have to decide what works best for you. --Paul.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I don’t necessarily want to change the stock exhaust; I like the “quiet ride” that comes with it (unless someone knows of an aftermarket one that is just as quiet of course). I’m not trying to heat the meats at every stoplight, but I would like to make some of the downshifts go away with a minimal amount of modifications. I’d like to hear from people who have tried to achieve the same results with minimum mods, all comments; pros and cons will be greatly appreciated.
I forgot a few things... 1) The EZ is basically plug-n-play... less than 5 minutes install with NO tools necessary. But I left my toggle switch under the hood... THAT might take an hour or so to run through to the cab, but I don't want to fuss with it, nor do I feel I need to... I always run level 2 when towing, and level 3 solo. 2) A 4" MBRP exhaust is not much louder than stock, and a little deeper in tone. The minimal noise increase will only be experienced when accelerating (the more, the louder), and is not noticeable at all when cruising (99+ % of the time). 3) I run in level 3 when solo... the truck is definitely much peppier... very handy when passing or merging into traffic... drives more like a 7000lb sports car now! :) --Paul.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Paul, did the EZ improve your fuel milage? What kind of EGT's did you experience in the mountain portions of your trip?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
you could get the A2 which has gps and a lot of other stuff with the juice

·
Registered
681 Posts
FWIW, I've come to the conclusion that in the end there's no real difference in price between an EZ and the J/A. Especially towing heavy, you really need gauges, and a good gauge setup is going to cost you just about as much as the increase in price between an EZ and a J/A.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Paul, did the EZ improve your fuel milage? What kind of EGT's did you experience in the mountain portions of your trip?
The EZ did not improve fuel milage-- it was about the same, maybe a little lower than normal. EGTs were in the 1200 range if I remember correctly. But remember, this is in early January-- the cool outside air at this time of year certainly helps (as compared to July/August when it can be 100+ degrees outside towing hills/mountains in Utah, Arizona or So Cal). I got the EZ some time around Nov/Dec, so it hasn't seen any really hot weather yet. So far I'm glad I got it, whether towing or solo. --Paul.

·
Registered
629 Posts
FWIW, I've come to the conclusion that in the end there's no real difference in price between an EZ and the J/A. Especially towing heavy, you really need gauges, and a good gauge setup is going to cost you just about as much as the increase in price between an EZ and a J/A.
Basically what you are saying is true (price wise). But not everyone may want an Attitude monitor. I can unhook my EZ and put it in the glove compartment in less than 3 minutes (the switch is still under the hood). My gauges (which are not part of any tuner setup) do not incriminate me in any way if I have to go to the dealer. But an Attitude monitor only goes with an Edge Juice... and cannot be left under the hood (it would be useless), so it must be undone for a dealer trip. Don't know what that involves (never experienced it), but it's not for me. And, with a nuetral set of gauges, you can get whatever tuner you want, and you still have guages. Not so with Attitude. My preferences... others may have different preferences.

And yes, anyone towing (heavy OR light) should really have gauges! --Paul.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does anyone know if the probe for the Attitude will mate up with a stand alone EGT guage? Are the threads for the probes (between different manufacturers) consistant/standardized? I'm leaning toward getting the J/A and having a back-up EGT gauge so I can throw it in just in case I need a trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I installed Banks gauges and exhaust over 2yrs ago. Later I added edge Juice w/attitude monitor/controller. Want to emphasize the controller function of the attitude. Its more than just another set of gauges.

I continued to use the existing Banks EGT probe hooking the Juice in parallel w/the existing egt gauge. So I've 2 sets of functional indicators and they track very closely. Now, when taken in for dealer service, I'll remove the juice/attitude and leave the probe connected to the analog gauges ~ thereby justifying the presence of the probe.

Again, the attitude also allows automatic control of EGTs and boost plus other goodies. There are indications that some savy dealers look favorably on the combo for its protection features.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
When mine goes in for service I just disconnect the egt probe wire and coil it up around the fuel filter. It has never been asked about. I agree that by the time you get the EZ and gauges you are up to or over the amount of the J/A, I would go for the J/A.

·
Registered
322 Posts
If you like the stock exhaust, then I think you'd love the TTS. I picked mine up from Mike L, and had him do the install. He told me just to leave the stock exhaust and they'd toss it in the dumpster for me. I should have listened to him. The original exhaust sits in the side yard awaiting my sawzall. It is the quietest aftermarket exhaust with a deeper and more pleasant tone than the original. There is LESS drone with this exhaust than the OEM.

On the EZ vs the J/A, I think I would go with the J/A not only for the power and gauges, but the EZ bumps the injection pressure which many believe shortens the life of the somewhat failure prone injectors. The J/A increases power through adjustment in injection timing and increased fuel with no additional pressure. (Check it out on the Edge website)

·
Registered
681 Posts
On the EZ vs the J/A, I think I would go with the J/A not only for the power and gauges, but the EZ bumps the injection pressure which many believe shortens the life of the somewhat failure prone injectors. The J/A increases power through adjustment in injection timing and increased fuel with no additional pressure. (Check it out on the Edge website)
I don't know if this is true or not. Edge's site specifically says the Juice does not increase fuel rail pressure, but does not speak directly to whether the EZ does or does not. The EZ product description talks about an 'econ' level that atomizes fuel better, but doesn't say how this is accomplished (logically, though, it would be with increased pressure) or whether the other power levels include this feature. I'd contact someone with tech services at Edge or one of the site vendors to clarify this issue.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ive been trying to decide between ez or juice myself. I already have gauges and dont want the extra levels the juice offers due to stock trans and not enough willpower to stay out of level 5. I talked to edge a little while back and they told me none of our products raise rail pressure. It would be interesting to see how they tune level 1 to atomize fuel better. Ez also offers trans protection but the features of the juice are tempting.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm just making a post here so that i can track the progress of this thread in the "My Replies" feature.

Pay me no mind. :)

I am debating this issue myself, however. From the way things appear in regards to upgrading a stock truck, i think i'm going to do intake, then exhaust, then the EZ or Juice/Attitude. I'm most concerned with abusing my transmission too much.

Am i correct in thinking that as long as i stay off the level 5 setting of the JA, i shouldn't harm my transmission?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Am i correct in thinking that as long as i stay off the level 5 setting of the JA, i shouldn't harm my transmission?
I think Level 2 is what's advertised as "tow-safe," and most people around here will tell you to stay outta Level 4 and 5 when you're unloaded or risk frying your trans.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'll have to go back and see if Edge changed their website, as I'm positive it did say the EZ raised pressure. They may have changed the wording on their website, or even changed the tuning. I do know that when I first read about it, I was surprised, and reread it to be sure that I read it correctly. Now on the Juice, I have read that they didn't and still don't alter pressure.

·
Registered
123 Posts
If you want the correct information go to Edge web site or call them.
EZ is basicly the same as the Juice, just can't use the Attitude on it and has less power levels.

·
Registered
629 Posts
If you want the correct information go to Edge web site or call them.
EZ is basicly the same as the Juice, just can't use the Attitude on it and has less power levels.
That is what I understood also... and it makes sense (same basic design, minus a few features/levels). --Paul.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts