Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to add a power box to give me that extra umph while towing, stopping the downshift crap. My boat and trailer is about 9k. Is the EZ good enough, or do I need the whole Juice/attitude set up. I don't want to hot rod around and will never (well, probably never) use the higher settings. I don't plan on a new exhaust, I like my vehicles as quiet as possible. Changing settings on the fly isn't important to me either, and I don't think I need guages, since I usually tow at 65 or less. Maybe just a hypertech will fit the bill for me?

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
The EZ is all you need. No need to even mount the switch. Just leave it under the hood. Gauges advised, but many run without. I wouldn't waste my (your) money on a Hypertech.

·
Registered
36 Posts
sf jakey;
I have the exact option as you. I don't want to "Hot Rod" my truck but would like a little more power when I tow my 10K fifth wheel. I just ordered an EZ (should get it today) and plan on not mounting the switch like Kennedy stated above. I'm gong to leave it on the 60 setting and be done with it. I'm going to get guages though just to be shure of the EGT's. I didn't want the Juice with Attitude for several reasons (wouldn't use levels 4&5, and reading all the problems with the display, I don't want to deal with). I also don't want a differerent exhust due to I like it at quite as possible.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Warden,

The EZ is perfect for both of you, easy to install and remove as well as plenty of HP for what you mentioned. I would reccomend at least getting a Pyro, it's not really expensive and cheap insurance too! Call us if you have any questions etc, we'll be glad to help.

Mark @ DPPI

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have used the EZ for almost 2 years now, with no exhaust mods, to tow my 12K fifth wheel. I have been very pleased with the performance. I definitely recommend that you at least get a pyro gauge. I was amazed at how quickly the EGT ran up towards 1300 deg (or higher unless I took some action) when fighting a strong headwind or pulling up a steep grade (actually it didn't have to be all that steep).

I just leave the switch set to level 2 for towing and leave it under the hood. Has really been easy to remove when I needed to take it to the dealer for service.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Can you add the attitude to the edge EZ? To get the pyro temps?

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Can you add the attitude to the edge EZ? To get the pyro temps?

Thanks,
Jeff
No, you can't. you'd have to upgrade to an Edge box to get the attitude.
It's actually cheaper to just get the EZ and a seperate analog EGT guage instead of Edge/ATT in my opinion.

For what you guys want and need this would be perfect.

good luck

·
Registered
22,680 Posts
I have the J/A and I really like the Attitude monitor. It's also a cinch to take out and it looks real cool in the Trippin mount. I don't hot rod my truck. I bought it to haul my boat and Lance camper. I leave it in the 4 screen split with Boost, EGT, Engine temp and % trans slip. If I had it to do over again I would still get the Attitude simply because I like playing with it and the gauges are all wrapped up in one deal. Switch on the fly power settings..........:pimp: you never know when you might have the urge to hot rod):h

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the ez and love it. I mounted the switch at the bottom of the dash because the holes are already there and its easy to do. I leave mine in level one for better mileage and it has much more power than you would think. Installed isspro egt gauge to be on the safe side and I believe it to be accurate.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I've done the same you have Mike. Level one is 30hp and 120ft/lbs but feels like much more. My milage hasn't gone up much, 0.5 mpg so far. But it's winter and I haul alot of firewood this time of year. I just bumped it up to level two, 50hp and 150ft/lbs to see if this gains me better milage. I like the EZ so far.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I have used the EZ for almost 2 years now, with no exhaust mods, to tow my 12K fifth wheel. I have been very pleased with the performance. I definitely recommend that you at least get a pyro gauge. I was amazed at how quickly the EGT ran up towards 1300 deg (or higher unless I took some action) when fighting a strong headwind or pulling up a steep grade (actually it didn't have to be all that steep).

I just leave the switch set to level 2 for towing and leave it under the hood. Has really been easy to remove when I needed to take it to the dealer for service.
:exactly:

I agree with everything above, also leave switch under the hood, and leave it in level 2 for towing (3 for solo). However, I do have an exhaust mod (4" MBRP) and it helps with EGTs. My 5er is 14k loaded. You won't regret getting the EZ-- very noticeable improvement, yet relatively mild (safe). Still, be SURE to get the pyrometer! --Paul.

·
Registered
177 Posts
ok so how much is this ez going for? I see how a few people are looking at it the way I'm looking at it. I only want it for towing, I have a toy hauler that at times it may tip in at 11k. I hate what prices of fuel have gone up to so I want more mpg!!! Who has this and what kinda price can they get me? Thanks

·
Registered
544 Posts
I bought my on ebay new for $359. I don't remember who I bought it from.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Can someone tell me why the EZ would be better than a reprogramer like the BD Intimidator. I only want a small bump in performance for towing, like you guys. The Intimidator can be set at 55hp and reprogram the speedometer for my 285's too. A local shop will get me one for $425

Am I overlooking something?

Thanks,
Steve
'04 CC, Centerlines, 285's, Solaire Sunroof

·
Registered
30 Posts
A reprogramer will leave a footprint. Dealer can void your warrenty if they find out. Ez is Ez to remove and wont leave a footprint. Also you can change power levels with a switch on the ez . A reprogramer has a slight chance of not loading and loosing your factory settings and truck wont run but this is a very small chance, has happened. You can buy ez for less money than that also just call around. Also look at torque numbers, this is true power for towing. Ez only adds 60 hp but the torque is 180ft which puts you at the limit for a stock trans.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just FYI, I bought a brand new Juice/Attitude from an eBay store for $597 shipped. He had two more but they are gone.

Love the guages in the Attitude. Manufacture date was 12/22/05. 200+ miles on 3/3 and loving it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
FWIW

I've been running the EZ for some months and at least 5k miles, combo towing, around town and highway, all on level 1. I like the power but disappointed in fuel economy @ 13.2 all around (actual, hand checked EVERY tank since new- no DIC). Funny though, I got 13mpg pulling my 4000# car + trailer 450 miles from Vegas @ 75mph and 11mpg with camp trailer and golf cart in the bed @ 70mph. Running unloaded with only the heavy LEAR shell gets the 13.2. And no, I don't rod the truck; I have a 12-sec. car for that.

I just pulled the EZ out at 10k miles to experiment with the stock setup a bit more and see if my fuel mileage might go up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The EZ is all you need. No need to even mount the switch. Just leave it under the hood. Gauges advised, but many run without. I wouldn't waste my (your) money on a Hypertech.
why would you call the hypertech a waste of money? from what I see the hypertech has the least amount of problems, and a guy I know has one and loves it.
What kind of mileage are you guys getting with the EZ I see that one guys went down. I dont want that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I average just under 20 mpg combined driving and around 22-23 highway with ez level one. This is figured by hand. Its pretty flat where I live, Im sure that helps.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I went back and forth deciding between the EZ and Juice for my LB7. I wanted a little more umph but don't want to tear things up. I prefer analog gauges over digital, so the EZ fit my needs the best. I have been very happy with it so far. Fuel milage on level 1 is virtually the same as stock. (20.5-21 mpg highway under 65 mph). When I want to play a little, I simply flip the switch to level 3 but it would be foolish to check mpg at these times. I know sure as I'm sitting here that if I had the Juice, the tempation would be too great and would play on level 5--- until I tore something up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts