Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed here earlier but a search did not turn up anything.Had issues with first EZ so Edge sent me a replacement.Problem is the large male connector on truck will not fully engage the locking female connector on the Edge.It only gets to where the pins start to engage.The pins on the truck male connector are good and will fully seat the stock female connector.Read in earlier post that something sticks to one of the connectors and causes the two from seating.Also called Edge tech who said about the same thing.I have looked at both connectors very closely and cannot see what the problem is.Can anyone give a highly detailed picture or drawing as to what I should be looking for?Thanks in advance! Jim

·
Registered
629 Posts
Too cold?

I know this has been discussed here earlier but a search did not turn up anything.Had issues with first EZ so Edge sent me a replacement.Problem is the large male connector on truck will not fully engage the locking female connector on the Edge.It only gets to where the pins start to engage.The pins on the truck male connector are good and will fully seat the stock female connector.Read in earlier post that something sticks to one of the connectors and causes the two from seating.Also called Edge tech who said about the same thing.I have looked at both connectors very closely and cannot see what the problem is.Can anyone give a highly detailed picture or drawing as to what I should be looking for?Thanks in advance! Jim
I notice you are in Wisconsin (cold)... I live in Illinois and connected mine up in December (cold) and it took a little finagling to get it to lock in because of the cold weather. You might want to try a hair drying blowing at highest heat setting on both of the connections which are not locking for about 10 minutes, then try to connect them. Sorry I can't provide anything more technical, but that may solve your problem. --Paul.

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Truck has been sitting in heated shop,have not been driving it much lately.I also had trouble getting the first edge ez to connect up,but after six tries it went in like there was no problem to begin with.Also the stock connectors work just fine,smooth as silk.

·
Registered
488 Posts
SAYWHAT, You may have recieved the bad one I sent back to Edge.
I bought the EZ and the big connector wouldn't plug in so called Edge and they sent a new one and it would not work either.
Called Edge and they told me to go to a local dealer, but I had bought mine from a DP vendor so I was not about to do that.
I just got PO and returned it to the original seller and bought a Predator.
My advise is to call edge and have them send you a new unit and when you recieve it take the two Edge units and try to plug them into each other, if it works then you have a good unit, if not keep making them send you units untill they plug into each other.
Merle

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
I have yet to find one that would not plug in. Sometimes it takes a bit of finesse.

Be sure that the lever is open fully and that you slide it in straight as deep as it wil go before trying to operate the lever. Also watch thet the "pin guide" insert stays in place where it belongs. The pin guide is an internal piece of translucent plastic.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
SAYWHAT,

John's right, the tolerances are tight, but they are also waterproof! The cam over lever has to be 100% open and sometimes the stock wiring length makes it tough to get everything aligned as it's sort of short! Play with it I would be surprised if the actual plug was incorrect. Thej again Edge ahs people building them and you knwo the old saying, "if you got people involved there's gonna be problems"!

Mark @ DPPI

·
Registered
488 Posts
Well, there is a first time for everything, i tried for over an hour to plug it in to no avail.
I even removed the white pin cover piece on the male connector to see if it would help, Nope.
stock parts just fall together,edge stops 3/16" from full depth.
Thats the way it was for me.
Merle

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I would send that back.. you do not want to damage the truck harness!

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As Merle says at about 3/16 of an inch ( or where the pins should start engaging) is where she binds up.Slides in real good to that point,no alignment problem,no lock in wrong place or wires too short holding it back problem.The smaller set of connectors slide right together as do the larger factory connectors.Something wrong here with no one really fessing up to it.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Hang in there SAYWHAT as it is easy to blame you, but I know better cause it happened to me the same way.
One thing you can do is to return it to seller and go up to Kennedy's, get one from him and see if it fits.
Merle

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I sent that one back and finally received a replacement.Guess what!Same exact problem,tried for 45 minutes tonite.Now I gotta figure out how to get my money back and from who.$450.00 plus shipping twice back to Edge Products $20.74.I am holding out my hat,please help me!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Well, I just put one in my truck, and it didn't just "slide" in all nice like. It took some work. Once you get it engaged, try working the connectors back and forth a little. Mine wouldn't go, and I actually pushed one of the pins but it didn't brake the lock, so it reseated ok. I mated the connectors and "worked" them by hand a little before they would seat. The only other thing I can say is check for bent pins. Mine did what you are describing, but eventually did go. I did have to do a litlle "convincing" though.

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have done just as you said Curt.The very first one I had would not go together either but with several attempts it finally slid together as stock connectors do.I do not think it is the rubber boot seal causing this,it hits real solid.One thing for sure, I am not a kwitter but I am fed up with this!

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I called Edge Products informing them of my continuing problem.They said the connectors are factory issue which I believe.I think the female sockets are just too tight for the pins to slide in.I took a real good look at the sockets on the factory harness with a magnifying glass and they definitely look different,like maybe a good grade of spring steel.I am sure GM would not have the assembly line messing around trying to force the connectors together as I have been trying to do,finesse or not!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts