Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got to take a long run today, from SE WI to The RV capital to pick up my Fifth wheel from KZ, truck runs great empty just like here at home, loaded truck still runs great, avg 11.2 mpg and spent most of my time in 4 x 4 due to the snow. Noticed when ever I worked the truck IE up hill or into a STRONG head wind the edge would flash red and say torque warning and show the ftlb's, anything over 600 that is. I can't find an adjustment to increase this, anyone know? Otherwise very happy, running the tow tune in LVL 2.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've never seen that even on level 3. Keep us posted on what you find.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was odd, I would work the truck going up hill, 6th gear, 587 ft#, then bam 600+, evo flashing red..no loss of power. Truck pulls like a freight train, took a Friend along as the Wife didn't want to ride for 12 hours, He was about coming unglued with the power the truck had, we could hit a hill at 70 and never drop out of 6th, crest it at 70, was cool. Just got the stupid warning..

·
Registered
62 Posts
towing

I was told that you could not tow that heavy on level 2,I have a 16K fifth wheel that i'll be towing this spring and would sure like to know if you can use level 1 and 2 without harming anything.. thanks ****

·
Registered
549 Posts
blizzardplowman;1563337; said:
Was odd, I would work the truck going up hill, 6th gear, 587 ft#, then bam 600+, evo flashing red..no loss of power. Truck pulls like a freight train, took a Friend along as the Wife didn't want to ride for 12 hours, He was about coming unglued with the power the truck had, we could hit a hill at 70 and never drop out of 6th, crest it at 70, was cool. Just got the stupid warning..

What version is loaded in the EVO you have? I thought an earilier version this was not adjustable and either they made it adjustable or removed it but I can't remember

·
Registered
471 Posts
retiredalaskan;1563362; said:
I was told that you could not tow that heavy on level 2,I have a 16K fifth wheel that i'll be towing this spring and would sure like to know if you can use level 1 and 2 without harming anything.. thanks ****
After hauling 10K today on level 2 , I'd be surprised if you can't haul your 16K behind it without any problems. Long hills might pose some issues if you don't know how to handle them with a programmer though. You can hear the super heated air flow that melts the turbo's, if you back off, you'll be ok. I guess that's why they have guages. I run with nothing.

·
Registered
380 Posts
That feature was only on the Beta units. They originally had in the engine torque PID but it did not calculate properly. You get it to read 650 ft-lbs in the stock setting if you have a big enough trailer to load the motor. They originally made a change to increase the alert limit so that you could set it high enough to not go off but then they realized that it really wasn't an accurate number anymore because it was not account for the increased fueling of the evo. Edge then removed this from the Alerts and PIDs. Update your programmer. You have a really old version. The newer tunes are much smoother. The old ones I think had a bit more power but were not very smooth.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Coghlin;1564770; said:
That feature was only on the Beta units. They originally had in the engine torque PID but it did not calculate properly. You get it to read 650 ft-lbs in the stock setting if you have a big enough trailer to load the motor. They originally made a change to increase the alert limit so that you could set it high enough to not go off but then they realized that it really wasn't an accurate number anymore because it was not account for the increased fueling of the evo. Edge then removed this from the Alerts and PIDs. Update your programmer. You have a really old version. The newer tunes are much smoother. The old ones I think had a bit more power but were not very smooth.

Thank you! I was just about to call Edge and complain about not having the TQ PID.
It's kind of a shame that they still advertise the EVO on their website saying it has this PID feature.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I still wish the "Economy" tune was just that. I don't even care if it 10 HP less just make it an economy tune.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Coghlin;1565409; said:
I still wish the "Economy" tune was just that. I don't even care if it 10 HP less just make it an economy tune.
:exactly:

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Consider the economy tune being worked on as we speak and will let you guys know when it will be released. I hope we can make this the best programmer for you guys.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thank You Edge Products for working on this.

I am a little frustrated with the 'economy" of the "economy tune"!!!

·
Registered
781 Posts
blemoine02;1565570; said:
Consider the economy tune being worked on as we speak and will let you guys know when it will be released. I hope we can make this the best programmer for you guys.
:ro) :thankyou2

·
Registered
380 Posts
I am not even worried about power as long as we have the option of a tune for economy would be great. I guess this topic has got a bit off course. Everybody running an evolution programmer should take advantage of the internet update feature and update theirs periodically.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mine was updated about 3 weeks ago, guess I'll check over the weekend to see whats new. The unit is/was beta, I have done updates twice.....I like the power on lvl2, trans in updated a bit, soon the have the full tilt SC 4. Promised the Wife I would leave it alone untill I hit 24k or it limped ):h

1 - 16 of 16 Posts