Diesel Place banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator Mister, your truck's smoking...
11,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
Just installed a new Edge Insight CTS3. Does anyone know how the Edge backup camera hooks up to the new Edge Insight? I'm trying to understand how they can possibly justify charging $200+ for a license-plate backup camera that - based on reviews I've read - provides a low-quality small image. If there's some way to hook some other camera to the Insight, at least I could do that for a fraction of the cost.

Since my truck is old enough to not have a factory backup camera option, it's either sorting out a solution for the Insight, or adding yet another screen for a backup camera. Maybe a wireless camera or some sort of wired RV backup camera is an option... I'd rather have a higher-quality solution if the $$ is even with the Edge.

·
Administrator
19,707 Posts
Hey,
Just installed a new Edge Insight CTS3. Does anyone know how the Edge backup camera hooks up to the new Edge Insight? I'm trying to understand how they can possibly justify charging $200+ for a license-plate backup camera that - based on reviews I've read - provides a low-quality small image. If there's some way to hook some other camera to the Insight, at least I could do that for a fraction of the cost.

Since my truck is old enough to not have a factory backup camera option, it's either sorting out a solution for the Insight, or adding yet another screen for a backup camera. Maybe a wireless camera or some sort of wired RV backup camera is an option... I'd rather have a higher-quality solution if the $$ is even with the Edge.
This older video may shed some light on the install process to help you figure out the wiring setup to hook up a camera

·
Administrator Mister, your truck's smoking...
11,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This older video may shed some light on the install process to help you figure out the wiring setup to hook up a camera
On the old CTS systems, they had a yellow RCA connector on the back of the unit, along with two proprietary connectors, one that ran down to the OBD-2 port, and one out to any EAS sensors out on the engine, such as a pyro probe. With these, you could run any old backup camera to the RCA connector and you were good.

On the new system, the cable running from the OBD-2 port converts to HDMI, and there is only 1 port on the back of the unit... HDMI. The EAS devices plug into a single proprietary port in the middle of the cable. There appears to be no way to plug anything else into the unit, hence my questions.

Interestingly, I bought my Insight from Thoroughbred Diesel, as they have a good inventory and they are only 30-ish miles from me. I may have to call them and see if I can get anything out of them...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts