Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read some posts here that state that the attitude monitor has serious trouble with reporting true boost #'s.

Yesterday I hooked up a manual guage (100 PSI) to measure Boost.

Took truck on level 2, 3, and 4 run three different times.

The guage on MY truck was off 1-3 PSI.

Are these serious problems?

My boost is showing 22 and actual is 23-26 at most. (when I pulled a 11,000 lb trailer on level 3, my egt's shot up, but the boost was about the same difference.)

I read that the turbo was safe anywhere below 30? So If I'm only at 26 max right now, I should be able to adjust my Big Head to get a little more.

I am curious if anyone else has compared the two, and what are your actual #'s.

Thanks for all the help!
Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone?

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
Yes, you should be good. I'd suggest a lower psi gauge for better resolution.

I'd probably wait until you have your transmission done before you work it up as the Juice will back down providing less boost.

·
Banned
19 Posts
Confused, are you saying you don't trust the Edge or your mechanical? chances are if the gauge in the edge is off I would guess that:

1. possibly a little lag in edges processor (so it's not quite as fast as the mechanical on the rising and falling events.

2. The calibration of the edge might be slightly off (we've had to fine tune our gauge calibrations more than once)

3. the mechanical could be off but i doubt it.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The reason for the post is that I was never aware of a problem with the attitude showing low boost #'s compared to a true mechanical gauge. (There are other posts here that show some concern for this issue).

So I hooked up a mechanical gauge to keep the attitude truthful, and I came up with the above answers.

I just wanted to see how skewed the attitude was before I go cranking on the wastegate.

The only reason I brought it up was that I was little nervous about blowing up something I don't know how to fix):h

Hey Guys, how much will a Level IV, with my goodies increase boost?:ro)

Thanks for the response!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
The edge is not off until it gets above 26 psi, but if you have a stock wastegate you do not need to worry about getting that high.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
There was an assumption that the data bus where the Edge gets it's info does not report over 27. There is another assumption that the stock sensor has trouble above that point. There is another assumption that the Edge does not properly report the higher boost #s.

I would think that Edge would get to the bottom of this and fix it. I see no reason why the Edge couldn't report higher than 27 ---> or as high as you wanted. They just need to fix it.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone!

I don't have any "stacked programming" yet. When I do I'll probably go mechanical.

Thanks for all the insight!

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
The databus seems "optimistic" in it's reporting. This is where Edge gets it's numbers.

The early Juice was not designed with the Attitude in mind so it does not display above 25.6psi. Later models (LLY) read up to about 30. If you want accuracy, I'd suggest a quality mechanical gauge like Isspro.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Ditto on the gauge. Beg, borrow or steal a quality gauge with a max of 40 on the top end. By quality I don't mean the $6 white face industrial version. Later! Frank

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Edge told me that the latest version is good to 35psi. Will need to test it with a mech gauge to see though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts