Diesel Place banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
At Dmax Lovers request, I am starting this thread to get a core group of folks to break new ground. Dmaxinaz is lending us his hot running, poor economy vehicle to do some datalogging.

I will make these files available for dissection hoping to brainstorm the analysis , and perhaps make some observations or conclusions. I will also supply his stock tun. As time goes on, we may even try some changes and weigh the impact.

If interested in participating, and feel you have a good grasp of tuning and could make a technical contribution, please just PM me with your email address. I will assemble a contact list of email addresses, to send the data. If I don't reply right away, please don't be offended, the ecm data will NOT be public, dissemination limited to specific members, on request.

though parts of it may end up on display for communication, please feel free to follow along. I do not intend to lead this discussion, I just don't feel competent enough to do that, but I will close the door on trouble and ask for moderator assistance to keep this productive, not another OH thread.

I specifically would like to ask trippin, cit1991, max power, fingers and Kennedy to send me emails if interested. Flashscan, of course also. I know there are others, we really need help from technically qualified individuals who understand tuning cause/effect.

·
Registered
817 Posts
The answser of "Could you make a tune that will stop overheating?" is an unequivocal yes.

Ideas:

1. Shut off EGR. Stops cooling load in the EGR cooler.
2. Beef-up the overheat defuel table. It's already in there, but if you can still make it puke up coolant, then it's not enough.
3. More boost for cooler EGT.
4. Retard timing for shorter exposure time in the cylinder.

Yes, 2 costs power, but it will stop the overheating.

We can change the heat load, but not the heat removal rate.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Can you get an EGT on this truck.
It would be nice to log EGT's. Have you used the Map feature of the software?, you could plot EGT's vs anything just to see what helped lower them.

Cheers,
Ross

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will see if he is willing to tap for EGT. I think he is. I assume the edge type probe would work. Guess I have a lot to do. I agree that using egt as an indicator of work performed on the powerstroke (high egt=less work performed) will be useful.

Thanks for your help.

·
Banned
6,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Going to do a first run today, just to get a basic look. Ross. send me your email address.

Strange, he (Craig-dmaxinaz) said he got diesel in my neighborhood when we met a few days ago, has been getting 16 mpg (was 13) ever since. Will have to see if he is still running hot. His IAT was 120 to 160 (80 degree day), no datalogging then. Mine, by comparison was 90 or 100, with my CAI.

Cit1991, do you have a way to analyze fuel for content, GC, etc? I'm thinking contamination or cetane/heptane/octane diffs. I think everything here is #2,but perhaps not.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Cit1991, do you have a way to analyze fuel for content, GC, etc? I'm thinking contamination or cetane/heptane/octane diffs. I think everything here is #2,but perhaps not.
Not really. Our lab supervisor is really anal. You'd want a D86 test, and make sure the initial point is at least 160F. Much lower than that, and you have gasoline contamination.

Cetane number is an engine test, and would be a bit expensive.

A D2887 (GC method) would also easily show gasoline contamination.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Not to be picky, but here are the parameters to log:

ECT
IAT
EGT (if available)
RPM
Fuel T
MAF
MAP
BARO