Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find the link to the site that tells you if all the upgrades have been performed on your truck.Anyone remember what it is? Thanks

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some reason I can't get that link to work.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Baloo

The updates depend on driveability issues. Eg. My tranny was shifting between lower ranges too often, I think they call it shift busyness? Mine was done under warranty but I believe you have to state to the service writer there actually is a driveability issue. I had them load all available updates in, but keep in mind once updated there's no going back. It did make a difference, smoother shifting and stayed in the proper ranges longer.

Bullseye54

Are you having problems accessing the site or with entering the info (VIN)??

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TC Dmax,

I can't get the site to load,I had it bookmarked but its gone too.

·
Registered
233 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TC Dmax

I can get in now,but when I click vci it says it can't show page.I'm at work now so maybe its a "big brother"thing.I'll try tomorrow at home thanks....

·
Registered
994 Posts
Baloo/Bullseye,

I'll second what TC Dmax says. I have an early '02 truck. Just had ECM and TCM reflashed about a month ago. I was actually surprised at the difference when towing a trailer. It holds 5th gear much better when going up hill. There is no extra engine power, just the tranny trying to stay in 5th gear instead of shifting into 4th so quickly.

They will not just update the ECM/TCM for you. You have to address/complain about some form of driveability issue. Even then, they may be reluctant since as TC Dmax indicates, there is no going back once it is updated.

I would recommend anyone with an '01 and an '02 built before Feb, '02 to have this update performed.

Reference the following link:

http://service.gm.com:8083/gmtechlink/arcv_pdf/7_02_e.pdf

See page 6 for the article. See page 8 for the Under Transmission/TransAxle (02-07-030-020) for the update.

AlanEdited by: OC_DMAX

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
FWIW,

My take on this is that it is only a list of AVAILABLE programming, and not a representation of what is loaded to the vehicle.

My general recommendation is to have any/all updates done as to date, all have been improvements to address issues with the earlier programs.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Can any Chevy dealer do it? Im assuming they will charge?

All the dealerships in my area can do it. If your still under the 3yr/36k warranty you will be OK. Outside of the warranty period, then you will have to discuss the cost with the dealer. FWIW, I checked the invoice and they billed 0.4 hours to reprogram the ECM and 0.6 to reprogram the TCM which included a "fast learn" test (according to the invoice). My truck is still under warranty, so it was billed to GM.

When you get your ECM updated, you will get all the previous listed changes. So they itemize the changes over time, but when you get the most recent update installed you get a summation of all listed changes.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
When your truck is in for service make sure they check the campaign eligibility section in GMVIS for any system software upgrade bulletins. Dealers are to perform any software upgrades listed in the campaign section at no charge to the customer. All vehicles are supposed to be checked in GMVIS when the come in for service, make sure yours does.

I can check vin#s if anybody wants.

·
Registered
212 Posts
GMCSID-- I PM you with my VIN # could you please check it for me? I am about to run out of warranty and am taking it in for the steering rattle, and problem with the seat cover, and It would be nice to have all updates done before warranty runs out. My dealer won't look unless I tell him what to look for. Thanks for any help. Edited by: TX-DMAX

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
TX-DMAX, you don't have any system program update bulletins and according to the calibrations website there are several updates available since your truck was new. The only way to find out if they were loaded into your truck is using a Tech 2. The latest cals are:

<TABLE width="80%" align=center border=1>
<T>
<TR>
<TH>Selected #</TH>
<TH>Description</TH></TR>
<TR></TR>
<TR></TR>
<TR></TR>
<TR></TR>
<TR>
<TD>15188873</TD>
<TD>NEW SOFTWARE TO CORRECT FALSE SETTING OF DTCS P0116 AND P0181</TD></TR>
<TR></TR>
<TR></TR>
<TR></TR>
<TR></TR>
<TR></TR>
<TR>
<TD>15097103</TD>
<TD>NEW CALIBRATION TO ADDRESS EXCESSIVE SHIFTING WITH CRUISE ON AND IDLE SURGE</TD></TR>
<TR></TR>
<TR></TR>
<TR></TR>
<TR></TR>
<TR>
<TD>15097105</TD>
<TD>NEW CALIBRATION TO CORRECT SETTING OF FALSE DTC P0236</TD></TR>
<TR></TR>
<TR></TR>
<TR>
<TD>15189542</TD>
<TD>NEW CALIBRATION TO CORRECT FALSE SETTING OF DTCS P0116 AND P0181</TD></TR>
<TR></TR>
<TR></TR>
<TR></TR>
<TR>
<TD>15097112</TD>
<TD>NEW CALIBRATION FOR IMPROVED POWER IN REVERSE WHEN IN 4WD LOW</TD></TR>
<TR></TR>
<TR>
<TD>15063401</TD>
<TD>NEW CALIBRATION TO ADDRESS DRIVEABILITY AND EMISSIONS. COMPLIANCE ISSUES.</TD></TR></T></TABLE>

http://calid.gm.com:8082/VINEntryPre.doEdited by: GMCSID

·
Registered
994 Posts
I complained about "shift busyness" and "2-1 Downshift Harshness" (which occurs when doing a slight rolling stop on hills). The dealer researched the available info and on the invoice they indicated that they applied bulletin 020730020, which is in the link I supplied above on Page 8.. My truck had never had an update since I purchased it in 11/06/01.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Thank You GMCSID. I'll take this to the dealer and have him look at the updates and check my truck to see if they are in there. I will also have them look at the Service 4WD light while I am in there. You were a great help.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts