Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my '02 D/A in late 09/01. I'm not sure of the actual build date.

The only repair I have ever had was the keyless entry receiver replaced when I first bought the truck.

Should I have the ECM/TCM reflashed with all possible updates at the dealer, and will they be likely to do this since I am not experiencing any problems at present? I would like to install an OD/LO switch at some point and since my 3/36 warranty will expire in a few months, I like to get the TCM update so it will work.

If they do agree to give me that update, will I get all applicable updates at the same time, or will they limit the update to that one thing?

Thanks,

Kevin

Edited by: Fireman

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Maybe you ought to see if one of the Mods will move this to the tech section.

It's my understanding the stealers will not do anything except to address a problem. Perhaps one of the techs could suggest an appropriate "malady"? Or at least tell you how you might get it done.Edited by: Zeeb

·
Registered
534 Posts
Kevin,

Fireman,

I too have an 2002 D/A with a birthdate of 12/10/01 and  was coming
up on my 36,000 mark. The truck had never been to the
dealer and I went into my dealer about a "busy tranny"
between 4th and 5th gear.

They could not do the TCM update until I had the OD/LO
switch installed.

The service manager agreed to do the install for next to nothing
so I took him up on it to get the upgrade. It goes into the shop
next week. I've known this service manager for years and I know he gave me a special deal.

Several guys on the Forums have had their dealers do the install and
upgrade for free before the 36,000 milestone. Others have had
to pay the freight $300-$400 for the work.

I think it would be worth asking your dealer.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Fireman. I installed the ODLO last week. Have an appt tomorrow to have the TCM reflashed. Dealer told me it will cost 1 hour labor (out of warranty). Dealer and others (on this site) say all current upgrades will be flashed. We didn't discuss whether or not the ODLO switch had to be installed. Hope they don't requrire it. I installed the ODLO switch next to the Attitude in the overhead console. So... the ODLO switch won't be in the truck tomorrow when I take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Your truck is similar to mine. Mine was built in 10/01. I just had my early (11/06/02 delivery) 2002 DMAX's ECM/TCM reflashed. If your 2002 was built before Mar, 2002 and you have not had the ECM/TCM updated, try to get that done first at the dealer. You need to complain about driveability issues. The dealership I took my truck to wanted to charge me $350 to update the software and install the O/D Lockout switch. I told them just update the software (which they did for free under warranty). It made a difference in holding 5th gear on hills. After the software is updated then test drive it. If you still have issues, you could then install the O/D lockout yourself or pay the dealer. Reference the link below where they talk about the O/D lockout switch in a GM Tech article.

I complained about "shift busyness" and "2-1 Downshift Harshness" (which occurs when doing a slight rolling stop on hills). The dealer researched the available info and on the invoice they indicated that they applied bulletin 020730020, which is in the link I supplied below on Page 8.. My truck had never had an update since I purchased it in 11/06/01.

The bulletin is mentioned at this link:

http://service.gm.com:8083/gmtechlink/arcv_pdf/7_02_e.pdf

If they will reflash it for driveability issues, then it will most likely cost you are 1 hour as mentioned above. On my work order, they billed GM 0.4 hours for the ECM and 0.5 hours for the TCM.

Later,

Alan

·
Registered
534 Posts
OC_DMAX,

With your "shift busyness" and "2-1 Downshift Harshness"
it would be an easy sell for getting the dealer to update the (TCM)
transmission control module....... How did you convince them
to do the (ECM) engine control module?

Can any of the techs on the Forum advise if an ECM upgrade must
be done when a TCM upgrade is called for?

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Well, First of all, I am sure that there are updates for your 01 truck. If you know your service dept well, just ask them to check it out for you. If you dont know them, then you could 'complain' of the symtoms. For the ECM, mention you have a lopey idle concern at times. For the TCM, mention shift business at the 4-5-4 shift. You cant just install a partial update in either module so between those two concerns, you're gonna get the full deal. If its under warr, it shouldnt cost you a dime. Just a side note, Technially the install of the ODLO switch is a non-warranty repair so those of you that have had it done under warranty, consider yourself lucky.

56Nomad.. The modules can be updated independent of each other with no problems unless a particular update calls for updating both. I think the 8.1 had a TCM update for something, but you had to do the ECM too.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Howard,

The main reason I took the truck in was to get the steering intermediate shaft lubricated to get rid of the steering clunk (kludge to fix an incompetent GM design). I was also experiencing the 2-1 shift harshness when doing a rolling stop and accelerating on a hill near my house. So I figured while I had it in, I might as well have them look into this also. While talking to the service writer, I also mentioned the shift busyness while towing my trailer. Originally, they tried to charge me some money for installing an ODLO switch. Said I wasn't interested (for $350). They went ahead and reflahsed the TCM and ECM anyway (for the 2-1 shift harshness). I let them do the research and that was the conclusion they came too.

Alan

PS - camping at Jawbone,,,, near Highway 14 and town of Mohave in SoCal desert?Edited by: OC_DMAX

·
Registered
994 Posts
Same DWP water pipelines!! I was out there about 1 month ago. Camped right along the main access road (that goes by the BLM ranger station) just after it went to dirt (from pavement), on the left side. Some killer hills right at that location. Edited by: OC_DMAX

·
Registered
140 Posts
HEY MY 2002 WAS BUILT 2/19/02 AND WHEN I LOOKED UP VIN HISTORY ON 5/15/02 THE J6355-POWER CONTROLLER WAS REPROGRAMED. DO YOU THINK MY TRUCK HAS CURRENT SOFTWARE OR SHOULD I TAKE IT IN FOR THE ECM AND TCM SOFTWARE UPDATES???

·
Registered
139 Posts
once a new program becomes availible the previous program becomes NON selectible. the newest program has all of the features of the past programs.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Oh and you can request PCM /TCM software updates and Warranty 3y/36k will pay for it. after that it is Customer pay....typical charge 1 hour.

dealer loyalty will pay off......trust me

·
Registered
299 Posts
GMworldclassmaster said:
dealer loyalty will pay off......trust me
More than once

Scott

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a question regarding the update installation of the TCM.

I complained of the harsh down shift on my 2001.

Dearler Ship did it under warranty. This was done with two separate installations. Is this the normal procedure to correct the problem or did I get something else?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
If it was done with two different installations they would have updated the PCM and TCM. If your talking about the Tech going to the vehicle then going to the terminal then back to the vehicle, that's only one install. The TechII must get data from the vehicle under test before the TIS system will load a new calibration onto the tool. Once the Tech II is loaded the tech then downloads it to the vehicle.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts