Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a quick question for some of you experts out there:

I'm planning on doing a body swap where I take a late model Diesel (either a 6.5 TD from 94 to 2000, or a Duramax from 2001 and later) drivetrain and chassis and replace the body with a '40's or '50's Chevy 3100.

I'd like to do this to have a late-model drivetrain (reliability, ease of finding parts and service items) under a unique/rare body style.:cool:

I would like to make the swap as simple as possible, so Power Doors/Windows/Air Conditioniing are not a high priority.

What are the minimum components that I would need to leave on the chassis in order to have this swap succeed?

I'm not planning on doing this tomorrow, but in the (relatively) near future. It'l be a nice project, considering I already have the little woman supporting me!:rolleyes:

Any or all answers/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Photo

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
you'll need the BCM wired up and stock steering column/ignition cylinder for PASSLock/security verification. OR...you can buy EFILive and write a custom engine tune that disables VATS (Passlock/security) completely. That way you wont need the Dmax column/ignition cylinder. You might still need the BCM tho. Running a stock instrument cluster would be easiest. Otherwise you're going to be doing a LOT of installing new sensors on the engine. Engine info to the instrument cluster on these trucks is all sent via data...not like the olden days. :)

Ben

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ben,

Thanks for the reply.

Ideally, I'd like to use a Duramax with an Allison transmission so I would also need to run the Transmission Control Module as well.

I'd also like to use the original Instrument panel from the older vehicle rather than the newer one. I don't see a large problem hooking up senders for Oil Pressure, Water Temp and Alternator. Lights should also be fairly simple (and you can wire it so that as many lights come on whenever you want them to!). The Fuel Gauge could be troublesome.

If antone else has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,

Photo

·
Registered
14 Posts
I,m looking to do the same thing, only duramax into a 95 H1 hummer. I have all the drive train components tcm ecm and harness.
But don't know what else I need. Some have told me I don't need the bcm, others say I need it. Probably depends on how much I am willing to mess with system to get it to work. I want to keep the stock instruments and steering collumn. I have about a hundred questions and it seems no one really has the answers, just oppinions. So if anyone can help us with either or both of these projects please do so. Thanks in advance, and if and when I get it running I'll give you a test ride. (Here's an edit, my engine is an LB7)

Rudy

Photo, good luck and lets keep in touch, compare notes.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
I,m looking to do the same thing, only duramax into a 95 H1 hummer. I have all the drive train components tcm ecm and harness.
But don't know what else I need. Some have told me I don't need the bcm, others say I need it. Probably depends on how much I am willing to mess with system to get it to work. I want to keep the stock instruments and steering collumn. I have about a hundred questions and it seems no one really has the answers, just oppinions. So if anyone can help us with either or both of these projects please do so. Thanks in advance, and if and when I get it running I'll give you a test ride. (Here's an edit, my engine is an LB7)

Rudy

Photo, good luck and lets keep in touch, compare notes.
You're going to need to use the stock steering column and ignition switch and BCM unless you can defeat teh PASSLock. My truck will NOT start with the BCM disconnected.

·
Registered
14 Posts
duratothemax,

I've been talking with EFILIVE, they say that there equipment will let you disable the pass lock system, and or run without the BCM. I hope this is true because that would fix a lot of my headaches. But that may be too good to be true. I'll keep questioning these guys and maybe I'll try EFILIVE. They say that they also are almost ready to release a unit that will tune the allison also.

A pretty big project but it will be fun to fab it all together. I don't have a lot of money but I have a lot of time. And I'm not too bad at fabrication. Being a farmer I have to repair a lot of my equipment my self. Not much money for the real fabricators around here.

Thanks for the feedback

1 - 6 of 6 Posts