Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ebrake on the 2001 works but I gotta push it all the way to the floor. I think my ebrake cable is stretched...is there any way to tighten it up or do I need to replace?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Normal condition. I've had a '99 1500 that did the same thing and now my '03 also does it.

I think GM changed the design of the ebrake engagement system to reduce the 'leg size' requirement.

If it holds, it's OK.

Later...

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it won't hold my truck and trailer like it used to. I really have to push it all the way to the floor. And even then it just bearly holds the truck.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
More then likely the cable is fine, but the shoes are out of adjustment. Our trucks use a "drum in hat" style ebrake, meaning that the ebrake is seperate from the main braking system but uses shoes on the hub portion of the rotor, if you remove the rotor, you will see what I mean, there is an adjustment in there similer to the starwheel of days gone by, just give it a few clicks and clean the dust/glaze from the shoes with some course sandpaper, IIRC they are also adjustable through the backing plate. This is also a good time to inspect and make sure those pesky axle seals are not leaking.

Eric

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for reply Eric. I changed the shoes in the rear and one axle seal. I tried to adjust ebrake and did not see adjustment. Maybe I should go back in there and look for the 'wheel' adjuster that you talk about? The cable feels loose when I climb under truck and pull on it.

Maybe I forgot to mention that we are talking about a crew cab dually.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Hmm, Maybe I am thinking of the 1/2 ebrakes with the adjuster..

Just checked my manual for reference..The Park brake pedal contains a self adjuster of sorts, but to be fully effective, the shoes need to be adjusted properly. Turn the adjustment nut on the shoes to adjust, there should be .026" of clearence. Not easily measure with out a gauge, just slip the rotor on and give a spin, should not get any resistance from the ebrake

1 - 6 of 6 Posts