Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did an air pump up grade. These trucks are know for the junk stock air pump. Mine was fine then one day it's started losing air over night, must have had a bad check valve in the pump. Then it would run when I would get in the truck to make up for the empty tank and within only a few time it burned itself out.
So I got a pump, bracket and pressure switch of amazon.
Amazon.com: VIAIR 95900 Compressor Mounting Brackets: Automotive

Viair 90110 Pressure Switch with Relay : Amazon.com : Automotive

Viair 45040 450C Air Compressor Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive

Here is the swap.

Had to trim the bracket and drill 2 holes bigger to get it to mount in the stock spot.

Stock pump in the trash.

Mounted up

Cut the stop plugs off and hooked them up to the pressure switch.

Had to make extenders on the switch and feed sides.

And done! Works awesome pumps right up, holds pressure and no leaks. Just need to put the cover back on.

Reactions: Skipper56

·
Registered
915 Posts
Nicely done. I have Viair sitting here to replace the OEM pump just need to have the time to climb under the truck and do it. I've been taking air from my horn tank thru a home made quick inflation adapter I made from parts laying around.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a very easy job but still took like 4 hours of under the truck, then up and them back under.
My horns are right off this tank and mounted right behind it and under the pump. Then I have a quick connect on the tank for tire fillers or a blow gun I have in the door.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Horns and seat on the same tank? Interesting....maybe I just need to put the feed for my seats on my tank. I was under the assumption the pressure had to be lower for air seats. My horn tank is on at 125 psi and off at 150 psi. I also have a T on that tank with quick release for tools etc, that's where I have been plugging in my home made adapter to fill tank for seats.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have
Seats
Horn
And Jake Brake

All on the same tank.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks so much for the pics and info, I was just about to order a refurbished stock one, now ill get his one. Thanks again for your time on taking pics and posting them.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya this med truck section has a ton of info but most are low on the pics. It helps to see some of these things. Just snap a few while I'm working to to help others when they go to do it.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One thing i didnt get a good pic of was the filter I put on the pump. YOu can kinda see it when the pump is hanging. Its a super small K&N filter Ill get the part number for it.
The pump comes with a plastic filter but i didn't like how it looked and it broke in my hand spinning it on. So i had one of these small K&Ns in the shop from a scooter project where i ordered the wrong ones.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks, the stock filter does suck, I was thinking about how to upgrade that. Did you ever think about replacing the rear air compressor? The one that fills up the rear bags.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No bags on my truck. Just the one tank and pump. Mine wasn't a Monroe conversion, it was a me conversion. Lol

Reactions: Jason_2500

·
Registered
915 Posts
My rear compressors went out at 62k miles or so, just out of warranty. I made the mistake of replacing them with the same ones at something like $750 for the pair OUCH! Those lasted less 60k the 2nd time. 3rd go around, about 120k miles or so on truck I installed 2 Viair 490c's, they are still kicking and solid truck now has about 260,000ish mi. Way less money and much better product. Fills the tank quicker and so far has last me 2 times what the OEM ones did.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Nice write up with photos. This will help others in the future, including me. Thanks for taking the time.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Filter I used. Worked like a dream.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Nice write up on these air systems. I have the same compressor ordered since mine hasn't been working lately. I wanted to get by a couple more weeks before putting the new one on so I took the compressor off the truck pulled the wire terminals and hit the wires with a 12 volt battery and nothing happened. I have a 24 volt battery set up I decided to try and the compressor took off and worked. I put it back on the truck and got another fill out of it. I have 60k miles and the stock one is junk.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Few guys PMed me about this. Pump is still working great. Best upgrade out there.

Reactions: Soundsgreat

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
TTT
Best upgrade you can do on these trucks

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
good winter project

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Few people have been asking about air pumps. So here it is

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bump for the new guys.
Only thing I have changed is I added a switch on the dash to turn the pump off if I want to. Like if the truck sits and I go to start it I don’t need to have the pump run if I do t need it.

Reactions: ronjhall

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ttt

1 - 20 of 28 Posts