Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<H1 style="MARGIN: 12pt 0in 3pt">Dynomax 4” Exhaust System Install</H1>
I chose the Dynomax system. I had Dynomax systems before and liked the sound. I chose the Ultra-flow muffler. It is louder than the Turbo, but still not harsh, a nice powerful sound, slightly muffled but authoritative. The 4” pipes are huge but fit nicely, clearing everything.

The system is custom fit for the different configurations. The hangers align PERFECT. It took us a ½ hour remove the old and install the new.
<TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%; mso-cellspacing: 1.5pt" cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=1><T><T>
<T>
<TR>
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e1e0d2; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #e1e0d2; PADDING-LEFT: 0.75pt; BACKGROUND: #e6e600; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER-LEFT: #e1e0d2; WIDTH: 100%; PADDING-TOP: 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e1e0d2" width="100%" colSpan=3>
2001 - 2003 DURAMAX DIESEL SILVERADO/SIERRA HD 2500/3500 W/ 6.6L DIESEL</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e1e0d2; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #e1e0d2; PADDING-LEFT: 0.75pt; BACKGROUND: black; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER-LEFT: #e1e0d2; WIDTH: 10%; PADDING-TOP: 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e1e0d2" width="10%">
19362</TD>
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e1e0d2; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #e1e0d2; PADDING-LEFT: 0.75pt; BACKGROUND: black; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER-LEFT: #e1e0d2; WIDTH: 80%; PADDING-TOP: 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e1e0d2" width="80%">
Dynomax Ultra-Flo Welded Cat Back 4" Aluminized System 133" Wheel Base</TD>
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e1e0d2; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #e1e0d2; PADDING-LEFT: 0.75pt; BACKGROUND: black; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER-LEFT: #e1e0d2; WIDTH: 10%; PADDING-TOP: 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e1e0d2" width="10%">
</TD></TR>
<TR>
19364</TD>
<TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e1e0d2; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #e1e0d2; PADDING-LEFT: 0.75pt; BACKGROUND: black; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER-LEFT: #e1e0d2; WIDTH: 80%; PADDING-TOP: 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e1e0d2" width="80%">
Dynomax Ultra-Flo Welded Cat Back 4" Aluminized System 143.5" Wheel Base</TD>
<FON

·
Registered
6 Posts
Seems like a reasonably easy install. Anyone have have any exp. with other systems? I would like to get some new exhaust but wasn't real hot on the idea because of install challenges. Now I'm smilin'

Any suggestions on a little quieter system?

Thank Guys

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Scottese said:
Any suggestions on a little quieter system?

Thank Guys

Dynomax makes the Super Turbo model. I had this on my previous truck. It's quieter the the Ultra Flo. Yet louder than stock. Has a nice sound. I really liked it, but I wanted a little louder.

The flowmaster 40 DeltaFlow is a nice mild mufler. The 50 series is also quieter.

The Magnaflow is also quieter than the Ultra flo, but with a nice sound.

There are many others out there, if you do some searching the manufacturer's web sites give you a good idea of the sound level.

Maybe some members can comment on their systems to give you a better idea.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Thanks for the install details and pics......makes me think I can do it even without the lift!! LOL Gotta get off the pot and make a decision, go full ahead with my '01 or go for a late '04.

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
JohnnyO,

is that rust on the muffler ?

I installed the banks monster SS exhaust and it is very nice. easy to install and great sounding, not loud. new dual wall tip stays looking nice and does not "yellow" with the heat plus it is easy to clean. The muffler is also polished, thoug I do not look at much unless I am under the truck
hangers are exactly like stock. very satisfied with the banks.

no need to pry if you use wd-40 on the hangers.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
JonnyO

Great job on the install pics!

I was wondering about the sound...Does the V8 with this muffler make it sound like the Ford going down the road? I know we do not do these things to our trucks for sound rather that performence. A few of my friends were taking about the sound, more of a V8 thing vs. a I6 thing.

Great Job!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ski1 said:
JohnnyO,

is that rust on the muffler ?I

No, It was some kind of coating. It came off with some laquer thinner. I then sprayed the system with silver high temp paint.Edited by: JohnnyO

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NoWake200 said:
JonnyO

I was wondering about the sound...Does the V8 with this muffler make it sound like the Ford going down the road?

It's loud and very deep, slightly muffled in sound. It's a much deeper sound than what you hear on a gasser. It's a definite big bore V8 sound, not a V6 sound. At idle not too bad. but when you accelerate it sound great. Sounds fantastic with the windows down and under fast acceleration, it doesn't even have to be WOT.

It sounds real good from the outside. (I get to hear from the outside when my wife uses it.)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hi guys!

I am definitely going to install a four inch exhaust system on my soon to be '04 Durmax / Allison.

I want the four incher to enhance overall performance and I absolutely want a nice authoritative deep throaty sound.

Therefore, I am wondering should I go for the duals, or will the single exhaust give me the same sound at better bang for my buck?

This morning, I listened to a ford power stroke with a single (large 4") aftermarket exhaust system and was not impressed with the sound. It sounded more like a hissing / blowing sound, not deep and throaty.

It did not have the V8 sound as I am use to on gas engines. I guess I am looking for the sound of something like the Mustang 5.0 I think they sound fantastic, unlike my Grand National Buick which sounds funky but, runs like a scalded cat.
I suppose, I am more interested in deep throaty sound than anything else.
Edited by: Melvin Hatcher

·
Registered
428 Posts
I just installed a magnaflow xl system and it sounds great. I get rumble and yet it still sounds like a diesel, i guess it sounds like a big rig. You can definately hear the exhaust inside the cab, but it sounds good. I'm glad to have a little of the pros of a gas on my dmax, i surely missed my exhaust. Performance wise haven't driven it enough. I give it two thumbs up.

·
Registered
6,210 Posts
Chevysrus said:
Thanks for the install details and pics......makes me think I can do it even without the lift!! LOL Gotta get off the pot and make a decision, go full ahead with my '01 or go for a late '04.

Thanks again

I put the Banks on in my driveway. I was amazed how easy it was with just one person. Remember to jack up the truck and let the rear wheels hang at max droop. Then the stock one will come out much easier. Pics of the two side by side in my sig.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Melvin Hatcher, it's nice to know theres someone else in the area. If you would like to here mine, maybe we could meet, and you could get a listen. Just pm me if interested.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Scottese,

We have aluminized, T-409 and T-304 systems available in both single and dual designs. We have T-409 stainless systems as low as $422.00, and the current systems we have in stock even include the front pipe, that other brands do not include forward of the 4 bolt flange by the transmission, while the current inventory lasts. We use our Spiral Flow muffler that is packed with 4 inches of ceramic blanket and stainless steel wool to keep the sound levels under control too. Call us at 866-455-7788 if we can help you with any questions etc.

Mark @ DPPI

1 - 14 of 14 Posts