Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran my truck on a dynojet just after getting the tranny upgraded.. I'll be running it on a different dyno again this week to try some different combos.

Edited by: Diesel Power

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
the quad runs better on the road when the torque converter is un locked......might have something to do with the results........I run it stacked with the 145 daily and I also have a lift pump........Nick its amazing how much more power you can get to the road with a built tranny.......isn't it

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
1bad01 said:
Then why is the Hot Juice right on the money?

Ah it's a joke .... You'all need to follow along with these guys busting my nuts about dyno running ....

I got a solid 450 RWHP on the Quad 215 alone ...

Mac

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Nick

It was nice meeting you last week. Hope you enjoy the new toys. Get a lift pump in there and let's step it up a bit more

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
Put it on a load cell dyno, and those nasty "steps" in the curve will likely become even more emphasized...

The big spike is somewhat uncharacteristic of the Dmax though, was the converter unlocking or something. I'd be curious to know what the curves looked like WITHOUT smoothing on max???

·
Registered
909 Posts
Every dyno run seems to need talking points to understand. I thought the baseline improvement after the Trans-go/TTS converter mod would be more than just 10hp. 10hp is probably in the instrumentation noise. But then, the Hot Juice juice looks about right without a tranny improvement, as others have already said. I'm not a dyno-king but transitional spikes would seem to be less reliable and more instrument influenced than good old fashioned steady state portions of the chart. Weird wacky stuff.

Edited by: Ray403Dmax

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Since all the spikes are in same range is it the convertor locking up or did u have it in tow/haul?

Or just something w/ dyno?

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
I'm assuing that the smoothing : 0 notation overrides the smoothing box at the top of the screen which indicates maximum?

RPM would have been nice. Looking at the fuel curve snapshots on the other thread may have some bearing on how things are shaping here also.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
JK - smoothing was at zero, but i had to make it smaller so it wouldn't resize when i people viewed it.. i'll put a link to a larger version so you can see the spikes better.. i did a before and after tranny upgrade run, which i will also post.

since the pre-tranny runs were done w/o tech 2 we did these the same way so that is converter lockup AFAIK. they were also done w/ OD lockout turned on in normal (non-tow/haul) mode. i'm trying to locate a local load cell dyno i can find to re-run the tests this week now that i've got 500+ miles on the new tranny. If anyone knows of once in the Sacramento area that can fit my CC/SB i'd like to know!

sdaver - yes it is amazing.. i never realized how much i was missing.. even driving the truck in stock power its quicker out of the hole! it drive completely normal.. the only time i can tell the tranny different is under full throttle.. shifts are nice and firm. lift pump will become a reality once i find one that works well witht he nicktane kit. i sure was surprised to see my fuel pressure go into the toilet on that tech 2 when running TTS Extreme getting on the freeway!

Steve - definately looking forward to stepping it up.

also after running on the dyno my BALD 285 mud tires were sticky.. perhaps i was spinning them a bit? i'll probably put the stockers back on when i run the next dyno.

I'm quite happy with the tranny. Granted it has very few miles on it but i expected it to shift worse (in the beginning) than it did. if someone had taken the truck from my house in the middle of the night, done the tranny, and put it back i wouldn't never have noticed in normal driving... except for the lack of zing'ing it!

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
The spike that you all are seeing in the middle of the HP is the TTC locking up. That's what it looks like on a DynoJet. If it were on a load dyno you would not see it. The transmission and torque converter upgrade will not add power when the converter is locked up and that is where peak power is. The TTS torque converter adds power before the clutch locks up. Nick can post the runs made before and after the upgrade and you can see the improvement before the TTC locks.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Ltrain said:
Sorry to change the conversation....but what will a LIFT PUMP do?

I was wondering that too especially after reading this

Diesel Power said:
i sure was surprised to see my fuel pressure go into the toilet on that tech 2 when running TTS Extreme getting on the freeway!

Are you saying that having the lift pump, and hence keeping more fuel in the filter keeps the motor from leaning out at WOT, or am I mis-reading this?Edited by: Amric

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
The idea of useing a lift pump is to keep the high pressure pump supplied with fuel. This allows it to not have to suck the fuel all the way from the tank. If the pressure is 10 psi at the inlet to the high pressure pump it starts with that pressure instead of a vacumn. It sort of like compound turbo's, the first turbo raises boost to 20 psi and feeds the second turbo which intern makes 20 psi above what is feed into it, for a total of 40 psi. This way each unit doesnot have to work as hard.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Better not let X hear about all this lift pump talk....

It'll turn into another long winded misquoted diatribe

And to think I let him talk me out of using a lift pump... LOL

Edited by: socaldmax

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Kennedy,

Haven't heard much about your dyno project lately. What's the latest news??????

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.