Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting the Duramileage flash tuner, does anyone have any experience with this one?

·
Registered
10,035 Posts
Don't know anything about them. Just that if the same they are a supporting vendor here. I search the site for the name and see what you come up with.

Brian

·
Registered
248 Posts
Do a search in the 3rd or 4th generation (can't remember) electronics and you shall find a thread there that will help you decide if you want the Duramileage or not.

My father was searching on the internet for his LB7 and ran across it. After he told me what it claimed to do mileage wise I said BS, after reading the threads here on it, I was right.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've been running it for a few months now. I read the reviews and went into it fully expecting to not see 4-7 mpg improvements as claimed so in that respect haven't been disappointed with it. The duramileage tune itself has given me a 1.5 to 2.5 mpg increase and driveability is actually pretty good. I only switched it to the 80hp tune a few days ago so can't say much about it yet. Also has a 40 & a 100 that I haven't tried yet either.

·
Registered
259 Posts
sorry krh522 kind of a late post here but i have a buddy that is really interested in this tuner for mileage. what mileage are you getting with it not shown in the truck(DIC) but calculated long hand, highway/city. Also does the chip improve performance much in the 100 hp setting? i figured you would have some good info being you have owned it for some time now. Thanks

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm not running that tuner anymore (switched to EFI Live). My truck got pretty poor mileage stock (15-16) and the 50-80 hp settings on that tuner got me 16-18 mpg. Power wise it was actually pretty decent for the money...not as fast as trucks with a PPE but beat out some with Diablo, Hypertech, and the like. EFI has been much more consistent on mpg and make superior power. The Duramileage really wasn't bad in my opinion but, I would highly recommend to go with an EFI tuner on this site (Duramaxtuner, IdahoRob, Kennedy).

·
Registered
259 Posts
alright thank you my friend has hypertec and was running around upper 16s in town and he took it out to return to stock and his mileage has been going up sense almost 19 yesturday with mild driving. he has 4 in strait pipe. afe inlet tube. banks intake and i believe thats it. he just purchased the duramileage yesturday being there was a big sale on it something around $115 and the sale ended yesturday, but he was concerned that there would be little to no improvments if his truck was gaining mpg with no chip. He does tend to drive very hard so he was hoping the 100hp tune from the duramileage would be a step up from the 80 on hypertec.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Duramileage Update

I run the Duramileage 70 tune on my 06 DMax 4x4 CC LB. Very impressive tune. The truck runs extremely smooth and returns 21 - 23 mpg on the highway and towing our 8200lb camper at 75 mph on rolling hills returns 11 mpg.
My truck rarely ever comes out of 6th gear unless I hit a steep grade. It has improved my power significantly and added 3-4 mpg for my truck.

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I run the Duramileage 70 tune on my 06 DMax 4x4 CC LB. Very impressive tune. The truck runs extremely smooth and returns 21 - 23 mpg on the highway and towing our 8200lb camper at 75 mph on rolling hills returns 11 mpg.
My truck rarely ever comes out of 6th gear unless I hit a steep grade. It has improved my power significantly and added 3-4 mpg for my truck.

Good luck with your search.
Newbie here and this is my first post.

JK Callahan,
One and a half years later, are you still impressed?

Reason I ask is I ordered from Diesel Domination their "EZ tuner" / DURA MILEAGE programmer October 28th 2014 after watching a 1/2 dozen of Steve Shelly's U-Tube videos.

I received a e-mail order confirmation and a thank you.

Today Nov-17 I have it in my hands after 4-5 phone calls to "Arron" requesting a tracking number.

During the order call I mentioned My truck Has a dial on the dash with 5 or 6 positions that change the power from mild to HOLY CRAP! I also said I just bought the rig in August and have no info about the dial.

He said to leave it on the first setting (Meaning stock) and the tunner would read the stock program, Install the EZ tuner programs and work but to leave the dial alone from then on.

I transport R/Vs for Horizon Transport near Elkhart Indiana and can not have this truck setting for optional lengths of time.

Ordering the tuner instead of sending them my ECM for the less exspensive route of having them flash their tunes in and return my ECM over 7-10 days was the motivating factor in laying down my credit card info and shelling out the big bucks. (Hey, If you knew what little we get paid after buying fuel and watching the wear and tear on a faithful old mule, ya might understand how many miles those tires have to roll to pay for this stuff.)

So today I Go off the morning dispatch board and attempt to install,download,flash, YADA,YADA this wonder product.

5 hours later after dozen of attempts to start over as prompted when it could not "Read" my ECM and while making 4-5 calls to Arron at Diesel Domination for help as I watched multiple long run transports disappear from the afternoon dispatch board, I finally get through.
Now after buying and waiting for it, and now as my idle rig is loosing money as a man cave, it turns out that if my ECM (Or whatever it's tech name is) has a nonstock "Flashed" tune installed. Hence the two wires from the dial on the dash that go to the ECM harness next to the drivers side battery.

He then said after consulting his tech Ron, I have 2 options;
1.Take to a chevy dealer and schedule a appointment to have the ECM flashed back to stock. Then take another day off, hang out at the local bow-tie dealer, pay the Chevy dealer happy dance bill, then restart the EZ tuner download/flash.
2. Remove the ECM, box it up, mail it to Diesel Domination and they will clear the tunes and reflash back to stock and then flash their tunes into it and mail it back 7-10 days.

HUH?..........Should some note at anytime in their sales videos or ordering process should it been mentioned that the EZ TUNER is not capable of reading and tuning, around and/or restoring a tuned ECM?

I discussed Option 2 but could not get an answer to a refund for the unneeded tuner because I am going to send the ECM to them which was much cheaper option at the very beginning of this dance.

I then called time-out with Arron and said the six-pack....(Errrrr was it a 12 pack)......... of Miller Lite was wearing off and the red in my country boy neck was starting to glow and I am leaning toward Option # 3; making a refund request on their "Satisfaction" guarantee .
Thanked him and said, "Talk to Y'ALL tomorrow"

Then cracked another Miller Lite and Yahoo searched EZ tuner reviews/issues and I have landed.......here.

Reply's, thoughts, sarcasm, etc welcome.

"Like a lamb to the wolves........"

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm running Duramileage tuner at 60hp

I've got too fill-ups under my belt. Each after a round trip from Seattle to Portland and back. My mileage has gone from 17 - 18 range to well over 21mpg with cruise control set at 65mph for the complete 400 mile round trip.

I'm very pleased. I'm just a guy who didn't want to pay $700 - $800 for a tune. Paid $477 and am super happy.

Free market, entreprenurial, global capitalism lives.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
You did come off a little to strong claiming your not affiliated with the duramilage tuner with these fantastic hard to believe results in such a short time.

But I think it might have been the last guy posting awesome big BS gains caused the post to be deleted.
We’ve dealt with the false duramileage reports in the past, only to find out BS was present when others spent $$$ to try it with nothing even close with mpg gains.

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
Lol what’s well over 21 mpg? 21.1mpg???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
So far only two fill-ups after the tune install. Two round trip 400 mile trips - average mpg have been 21.7 and 21.6.

That said, the truck is a lot louder now. I'm not sure I like it. It sounds a lot mole like an old diesel truck with knocking or detonation? I'm no engineer, so I can't be sure what is going on, but it sounds different.

Time will tell.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You did come off a little to strong claiming your not affiliated with the duramilage tuner with these fantastic hard to believe results in such a short time.

But I think it might have been the last guy posting awesome big BS gains caused the post to be deleted.
We’ve dealt with the false duramileage reports in the past, only to find out BS was present when others spent $$$ to try it with nothing even close with mpg gains.
No harm intended. I wasn't trying to come off to strong at all, just as objective as I could. I don't know the company from Adam. I just bought the product to give it a shot. Frankly, it could have gone either way - send it back or keep it. I was just looking for a good solution to improve my mpg.

So far so good. If it goes south, I'll change tunes or take it off entirely. Time will tell, I guess.

Again, I never want to be a 'taker' on these forums, just trying be a contributor as well. Lord knows, there will come a time when I have an issue and I'll be looking for help.

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
Tuners add timing and fuel pressure to increase mileage. Makes them sound more like a traditional diesel.

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
I just saw you have an lmm I hope you did your research. Depending on what they did it may plug up your DPF.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Want no BS duramileage numbers, I'll give em to ya!
Best tank 20.9
Average 14.8 a lot of around town my wife drives it to work 5 miles one way. Towing, little empty highway, lots of in town combined.
Towing our fifth wheel average 12.0 - 12.5
5,000+ mile trip last year out west we averaged 12.3
Low towing mileage 11
High towing mileage 13
Neither one of those happen often, head wind or mountains for 11, 55 mph roads for 13
70 hp tune
265/75-17 tire's, speedo adjusted, all hand calculated for the past 5 years
I think any well maintained LBZ can do these numbers.
Read the last line in my signature

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
LBZ’s was known for decent mileage, especially compared to the LMM and newer.
So many people include towing mileage but never include how heavy their trailer is and the terrain there’re towing in.
Mostly flats, hills, tailwind.
Towing weight can make a big difference, mines 13,500 lbs 13’ tall, some flats and some grades from 1100’ up to 7,000’ .
Mileage takes a hit going but going back home equals it out.
Averages about 9-10 round trip, about 7-8 going 11-12 returning.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Update - I wrote to the folks that I bought the tune from. (Not to be named here). Bottom line is that I don't like how it sounds, and it doesn't feel linear. Loud noises from motors are generally bad. I got the below response back:

"Try another tune. Some trucks do that... most don't with the same tune. Every tune is a small step up from the other. The dieseling sound is because the pilot injection and main injection are happening 2 close together. Not something I change but environmental factors can cause it. You MAF sensor in the air intake may need to be cleaned?"

I tried a few other tunes and they were better, but the bottom line is I think drivability was suffering. I don't think the motor tune was 'playing well' with the transmission. So I figured I'd run a little experiment. I went back to the stock tune.

My MPG absolutely have tanked. Horrible. I've gone from 21 - 22mpg down to the 17-18 range. BUT, the truck drives A LOT better now.

Again, I'm no engineer, but it seems that tuner D (NOT to be named on this forum) has figured out a way to get an LMM to get great mpg (5 fill ups - 5, 400 round trip journeys to Portland and back - with an average mpg of 21.9mpg @ 65mph with cruise - empty), but cold weather driving sucks, it's noisy, and there is absolutely no harmony between the TCM and the motor tune.

So I'm back at stock until I find a solution.

Half the reason I bough a duramax was for the Allison transmission - love that transmission. Now I need to find a tune and TCM tune that will be very compliant, drivable, and get better mpg.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts