Diesel Place banner

Duramax - Won’t Start

2K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  Pick 
#1 ·
I own a ‘02 Duramax. GMC HD 2500. I recently was on my way to Boise ID and topped off my tank with Diesel. I then tried to start the rig and it was a very prolonged start, didn’t think it was going to start. Never had that problem before. Took it to the dealership, they said it was the fuel filter. They changed the filter, still did not start right. So I siphoned all the fuel out of the rig, replaced the filter again myself this time. Thought it had to be fuel. Still had prolonged start. Took the truck to another mechanic and had the fuel tank steam cleaned. Lots and Lots of sludge, shale, etc ... bad. Truck did start for them at first. Drove the truck home, now it will not start at all. I have less than 40K on the truck. Anyone have any ideas? Pump? Electronic? The dealership here will probably not have a clue either, had the truck towed there today, not exactly Diesel pro’s. Can you help?

See less See more
#2 ·
WOW! No codes?

I have thrown a code on occassion if the fuel cap is not on tight, but the truck never shut off, just an emissions code set.

From the sound of it there are several things that could be wrong. Assume it was running fine before the fueling and everything started after the fuel was added.

Couple of simple checks if you have not already done them....

1. Can you see if the fuel filter is filling up....might indicate if the pump is working or not.

2. If you are getting fuel from the pump into the filter then you might disconnect the out fuel line to be sure fuel is getting past the filter and the head.

3. Assume you have bleed the sucker repeatedly to get rid of any air.

4. If the fuel was crap, it might have clogged the injectors and no fuel getting into the cyl.

If you have done most of the above it is dealer issue to solve hopefully under warranty....but if bad fuel was introduced they may not cover it.

Wish I could suggest more, but that's about it for me.

Good Luck and wish your truck a "speedy recovery" and an inexpensive one too!Edited by: Chevysrus

#4 ·
Ordinarily it sounds like air is getting into the system somewhere and on start up it's not getting enough fuel to fire. Once started the pump keeps up.

Maybe the glow plugs are covered in crap from the bad fuel and can't generate enough heat to fire the motor.

Since it all started with the last fueling, kinda makes you focus on the fuel issues, but could be something entirely different and just a coincidence it happened at the same time as the fueling.

Hopefully the dealer will figure it out. Once they tell you something you can bounce it off of DMAXALLI for the straight scoop. You might want to repeat the question in the ASK DMAXALLI section and hopefully he can give you some clues.

Good Luck and let us know what happens.

Regards,

#5 ·
#6 ·
Yep, same thing happened to me as what happened to Shaydog.

Pump the primer on the fuel filter about a hundred times or however many it takes for it to get solid feeling, and give it a shot. If it fires you know you're getting air into the system somewhere.

#7 ·
check to make sure your bleeder screw is tightened down as well.

#9 ·
When you get it fired, run the piss out of it.

#10 ·
TwinRiver:

I have the exact same problem as you! I'm just happy I'm not the only one (sorry for that). I'm taking mine to the dealer on Wed. Dec 3rd. They seem to think the same thing. (air leak). I hope it's not the injectors that I hear so much about.

I have an 03' Dmax with 33,000 miles on it. My last truck was a 98' chev with a 350, 181,00 miles on it. (NO problems ever) Lucky?

You tell me, GAS or DIESEL?

#11 ·
Towed on the rollup this morning,
it started at 5:30am but at 7:30am all it would do is crank? I also have 33,400 miles on it. The dealer just called me and said the rear battery is bad. (Yes it's under warranty) The mech said the truck doesn't have enough battery amps on 1 battery to start. They replace the battery and it started and ran perfect!

TommJr, I also had a 97 GMC Yukon that I sold with 186,500 miles on and it ran perfect when sold. These will last with the correct maintance.

#13 ·
I have an 04 Dmax, Sat nite wife and I were in Boise for dinner, came out and truck would not start, would crank but no fire, after about 5-6 minutes of trying she fired right up, stopped at Hastings went inside came out and same thing, what the heck, drove truck into Boise Sunday, came out same thing, but this time it thru a code, drove truck to my lube shop and pulled a code of crankshaft position sensor, called dealer and they will take care of it. Just my experience and something to look for. HTH.

Ron

#14 ·
Ok,

I had the same problem with my 03 when I changed the filter. If you don't get that top oring on just right the filter will suck air and effectivly deprime the system. When you screw the filter in go slow and make SURE the oring is seating properly. I had to keep pushing the oring in with a scribe while seating the filter. Try it it just might work.

PS: This is a real crappy filter design.

Mike

#15 ·
Not sure if this is applicable to the Dmax, but my dad always told me the 6.2's needed to turn at least 100 rpm to start. I would think that it would start with one battery if the engine was warm, I would think it would only need two if it was cold and engine oil was thick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.