Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I had to drive a friend of mines new 6.0 powerstroke. It is a F-350 crewcab 4x4 dually 4:10 gears. I was pulling my 6 horse trailer with it and not to say good about ford but it blew me away with the power. On the side of a hill where my truck would have to redline to pull it
his truck was just cruising in 5th gear.
Even with the air box and hypertech my truck [02 3500 crew cab D/A 4x4] would not be able to stay beside his stock truck.
Please dont hate me I just wanted to share what I seen.
Chevy needs to make the allison put more power on the ground before down shifting and burning the fuel. Have any of you guys drove one of those trucks and what did you think?

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I never drove one, but I was taking a friends trailer home one time (dont ask why I was pulling it
) and on a local 7% hill he mentioned that my DMAX didnt struggle like his 6.0 did.

Of course, he has had nothing but engine problems since he bought it, so he may have a lemon.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I have rode in (but not driven) a friends 6.0 L Ford Super Duty several times and was impressed with the way it ran. Pulled the Cajon Pass in SoCal very nicely (about the same grade you mention with a total elevation gain of 3500 ft). Truck was pulling a Toy Hauler trailer with motorcyles inside, probably 8K in weight. It managed to hang in there up the grade most of the way in 5th. Eventually downshifted to 4th.

All the magazines and on-line sources that have tested the offerings from Ford, GM and Dodge earlier in the year indicated the same. The Ford would out pull the GM products. Ford has had some major issues with the 6.0 engine early on with regard to ECM programming and injectors, but they will work through these issues (maybe they already have).

When running my stock DMAX (8k load) over the same grade, it always downshifts in 4th like you mention. Once below 2000 RPM, the Allison seems to downshift when pulling a grade. Others have posted that by using the Juice (in particular), that the low end power is greatly enhanced.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Do you think that with him having 4.10:1 gears, and you haveing 3.73:1 gears had anything to do with his staying in 5th?

I know for a fact that the 4.10`s and a 1000 rpm higher rev had everything to do with that. The hp and tq is to close for the weight difference of the two trucks to have much if any difference.

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
They do run good. I had one kind of pacing with me on the highway. Too much traffic to play but he was able to out accelerate me in the 65mph range. I don't know what mods he had but he had a full rack of pod gauges and aftermarket exhaust.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I'd agree with hdmax about the 4.10 gears. That alone makes a huge difference with gassers. It would be very interesting to compare DMAX trucks with one having 3.73 and the other with a 4.10 rear. Too bad GM has just the one ratio...
Edited by: Roegs

·
Registered
103 Posts
The neighbor on one side of me has a new Dodge Cummins HO 6-speed that he bought out of state, the neighbor on the other side has a new 6.0 Ford automatic and I've got a GMC 6-speed. Bottom line is they're all sweet trucks. On the highway pulling our trailers no one has to wait up for anyone because we can all do 65 up most any grade. BTW even with my 6 speed I usually drop it down to 5th on the big grades just to go easy on my tranny. One to one generates less heat.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Isn't the redline on a 6.0 PSD much higher than the Dmax ? I don't think 4.10's would work well with the Dmax. It would be screaming down the highway at 75 mph.... Personally I wish GM would have offered 3.50 gears as an option. I would appreciate a lower rpm on the highway which would return better mpg. Good mileage begins to diminsh at 75 - 80 mph cruise speed, at least 2 mpg (18mpg)vs. cruise speed of 65-70 which yeilds 20 mpg.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I got the 4.10 gears in my truck. Found them on Ebay. I got them to compensate for the 35 inch tires i am wearing.

·
Registered
234 Posts
BassinRVer, How do the new gears stack up to 3.73?

Not that I am ever going to do the swap but am curious how much better it tows and what happened to your mileage?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Mileage has been up and down with all the changes and here is how it all went down:

First, with stock truck pulling my 8000 pound trailer my truck would go in and out of overdrive on hills (small Texas Hills). I got about 12 MPG hauling.

Second, Got Hot Juice and guages. Never went out of overdrive. Mileage was same.

Third, I got 35 inch tires. Mileage went to the way side. Started going in and of overdrive again. Gears ratio around 3.50. Towing I got 10 MPG.

Fourth, was to install 4.10's gears and with the bigger tires I am propable still at about the 3.73 ratio. Stopped going out of overdrive on hills (Small Texas Hills). Mileage is still about 10 MPG towing.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
With 35's I'm at an effective 3.30:1 ratio. Haven't lost too much mileage empty but I towed my 4K trailer over the weekend and it doesn't pull near as well. These motors love 2000+ rpm and I don't even hit that at 70 mph. I don't find myself looking for 7th gear near as much but I'd love to find someone with an 8.1 and 4:10's that would like to switch axles.

I've also found that stock my in town mileage wasn't too bad but the bigger tires/lower effective ratio has made it a lot worse.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts