Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is probly a tough comparison cuz there is so many variables but i want some honest opinions. Will my truck a 2005 6.6L DMAX with everything in my sig including the power loader, beat my dads truck in the 1/8 mile?
His truck is a 1970 chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 that is currently being fully restored including, a fully built 350 turbo automatic, and a 383 engine burning E85 with a low to mid roller cam, 10.5to1 pistons, holley 4 barrel carb, dart heads, maybe headers, and stock block. It will be tuned on an engine dyno before it goes into the truck. Any honest opinion is welcome as i am really curious and since i have never done much racing i really am clueless:eek::.

P.S. my truck weighs around 6800 pounds.
I dont know how much my dads truck weighs its a reg. cab long box.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Maybe until you get that programmer. He will most likely have 4.10s which will make him pretty quick off the line. I have one just about like what he's building in my shop that I had in a 83 1/2 ton 4x4 with 3.08 gears with a 4 speed tranny. I've got a 72 right now with a 427 that runs dang good but the only way it would get that half ton with the 383 was off the line...after that no way. Those 383s have some really good mid to top in power, with the 3.08 gears I could run 20 or 90 in third gear. It had 31x10.50 BFGs and with the 3.08s it would fly top end....I pegged it and and let off at 4800rpm..got skeered. Dang I think maybe I need to build another one.

·
Registered
506 Posts
You will take him if you have your programmer. If it was in a 2wd shortbox maybe but not in a 3/4 ton.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Yep you're gonna need the programmer.. if you were close by I'd say borrow my buddy's programmer and whip him quick.. PPE rocks

·
Registered
87 Posts
what's done to his heads? are they iron eagles? also what is your definition of a low-mid cam, to me that's like 260 @ .050 duration, to others a low-mid sized cam is like a 230.
either way, I'd most likely put my money on you (unless they are full ported Darts with a mechanical roller). I got a built 383 in my '70 K5, and I know my truck would smoke it.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dont know yet on the cam, its still in in the planning stages. As far as the heads they are however dart sells them from the factory. I really am not sure about a lot of this stuff mainly because he hasnt decided for sure what parts he is going to use. He is now talking about just using a set of bowtie heads.
The main reason i asked this in the first place is he is convinced he will blow my doors off! But from what you guys are saying i might have a chance or at very least it will be close. Correct??

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh one more thing on the heads, they are aluminum. Im sure there are lots of different styles, im sorry i dont have more details.:(

·
Registered
121 Posts
IOWA LLY;1579299; said:
I know this is probly a tough comparison cuz there is so many variables but i want some honest opinions. Will my truck a 2005 6.6L DMAX with everything in my sig including the power loader, beat my dads truck in the 1/8 mile?
His truck is a 1970 chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 that is currently being fully restored including, a fully built 350 turbo automatic, and a 383 engine burning E85 with a low to mid roller cam, 10.5to1 pistons, holley 4 barrel carb, dart heads, maybe headers, and stock block. It will be tuned on an engine dyno before it goes into the truck. Any honest opinion is welcome as i am really curious and since i have never done much racing i really am clueless:eek::.

P.S. my truck weighs around 6800 pounds.
I dont know how much my dads truck weighs its a reg. cab long box.
Don't know if you know much about E85 but it has less BTU's than gasoline....you have to add typically 25-30% more fuel to get the same level of performance out of it.

The advantage of E85 is it's very high octane rating....i.e, you can run really advanced timing, comp. ratios, etc without "knocking".

If he's running "only" 10.5 to 1 comp. ratio with E85, its like he's running 9.1 with gasoline unless he has a power adder.

Bet him for money, you'll walk all over him:cool:

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
My opinion of a 383 is -:t A good 355 with the same stuff will run circles around a 383, been there done that.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I would think you'd take him pretty easy.

·
Registered
371 Posts
[quote='03duramax;158211;9]what's done to his heads? are they iron eagles? also what is your definition of a low-mid cam, to me that's like 260 @ .050 duration, to others a low-mid sized cam is like a 230.
either way, I'd most likely put my money on you (unless they are full ported Darts with a mechanical roller). I got a built 383 in my '70 K5, and I know my truck would smoke it.[/quote]

Your definition of a low-mid duration on a cam is 260 @.050 for a street driven car????!!!!!!My mustang that runs high 9s has a 258 I 264 E @.050 and is a track mostly car. My god what is your definition of a large cam??
Being that its a truck and 383 a good cam for his application would somewhere in the range of 220-230 @ .050. In heavy applications you need the low end tq and mid range much more than the top-end a cam 240 and up would provide. More than likely if the person who built the engine knows a little about building gas rigs thats where he will be the 220 mark on the cam duration. Mechanical roller not likely to happen on a daily driven street rig unless he plans on replacing the springs or cam every 1000miles.

If I were a bettin man I would put money on you with the tts.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My Camaro's bumpstick is a little bigger than that, and yes, I drive it on the street. Big? well that's like 280+ I'll admit I probably lean a bit towards the radical side on cam selection, but everything's a race car to me. And with the proper valvetrain, a moderate mechanical roller should never eat up springs or cam lobes in 1000miles. Also, low end for some people is 1500rpm, others it could be 6000...

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm with F2000Charlie. I dont understand the fuel choice unless hes just trying to have a "green" racer, otherwise he's just loosing power.

·
Registered
121 Posts
For sure....E85 is great on turbocharged, high compression, or supercharged applications.

But so is race gas:)

A lot of guys i know run the E85 because its very cheap and they are able to run more advanced timing and boost pressures....making it a cheap(er) way to use 105 octane fuel (E85) at only $2.00bucks a gallon.

That thing will be dog slow.....but if he really is using E85 i would be very careful. He probably has ( I hope) researched the fuel...dont be surprised if its more like 12.5 to 1 compression:D

·
Registered
445 Posts
Even at that.. unless he really really puts a good bit on it.. PPE programming is gonna at LEAST still keep up. "spool up!!"

·
Registered
371 Posts
[quote='03duramax;158584;8]My Camaro's bumpstick is a little bigger than that, and yes, I drive it on the street. Big? well that's like 280+ I'll admit I probably lean a bit towards the radical side on cam selection, but everything's a race car to me. And with the proper valvetrain, a moderate mechanical roller should never eat up springs or cam lobes in 1000miles. Also, low end for some people is 1500rpm, others it could be 6000...[/quote]

Well I guess everybody has their own interpretation of things, but bigger is not always better especially on a daily driven 4500lb + truck. My fathers 7 sec gto has a 275 duration cam, we are talking @.050 right and not advertised. And low end on a daily driver is not 6000rpm lol. Mechanical rollers are not a logical choice for an everyday street driven cam unless its a diesel :D . I drive my stang on the street also but its not daily driven.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Part of the reason he chose E85 is because he farms. just kinda made sense to him.;) He may end up with 11-1? 10.5-1? 11.5-1? on compression, dont know yet. The shop doing the work is still planning it. They thought 10.5-1 would still be driveable and u get away running a tank of pump gas now and then. By the way E85 is around $1.50 around here.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Acoombs;1584493; said:
Your definition of a low-mid duration on a cam is 260 @.050 for a street driven car????!!!!!!My mustang that runs high 9s has a 258 I 264 E @.050 and is a track mostly car. My god what is your definition of a large cam??
Being that its a truck and 383 a good cam for his application would somewhere in the range of 220-230 @ .050. In heavy applications you need the low end tq and mid range much more than the top-end a cam 240 and up would provide. More than likely if the person who built the engine knows a little about building gas rigs thats where he will be the 220 mark on the cam duration. Mechanical roller not likely to happen on a daily driven street rig unless he plans on replacing the springs or cam every 1000miles.

If I were a bettin man I would put money on you with the tts.
I also agree, I run a 234/244 hyd flat tappet w/ 114 LS in a supercharged 355, run great. I ran a 244 single pattern cam in a nat. aspirated motor and was terrible off the line. But I guess size is relative, after all, 2.2L honda engines are considered big blocks in import circles. :D

See my sig, also. I run a 2wd 69 C-10 at the ET below. Truck wgt. is only about 3800 w/ me. That is the factory weight, no aluminum, or removed panels or anything. Those numbers are with 28" x 9" slicks. I would figure the 4wd to weight between 4500-5000 if I had to guess.

·
Registered
121 Posts
IOWA LLY;1587693; said:
Part of the reason he chose E85 is because he farms. just kinda made sense to him.;) He may end up with 11-1? 10.5-1? 11.5-1? on compression, dont know yet. The shop doing the work is still planning it. They thought 10.5-1 would still be driveable and u get away running a tank of pump gas now and then. By the way E85 is around $1.50 around here.

$1.50...damn! Thats awesome:D

Yea, 10.5 would allow it to use the occasional tank of gas....
Cool concept, E85 is definately a great fuel, especially at that price.
I assume he'll jet it 30% richer...so it should still make some power if not more if he's running the timing advanced

·
Registered
38 Posts
Acoombs;1587668; said:
Well I guess everybody has their own interpretation of things, but bigger is not always better especially on a daily driven 4500lb + truck. My fathers 7 sec gto has a 275 duration cam, we are talking @.050 right and not advertised. And low end on a daily driver is not 6000rpm lol. Mechanical rollers are not a logical choice for an everyday street driven cam unless its a diesel :D . I drive my stang on the street also but its not daily driven.
Runnig a Comp 270 in the Gal in my sig, its plain scary for a 4000+lbs Grandpa car.

:driver:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.