Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Sierra with a Duramax and in the last few weeks I have noticed a ticking on it. The truck has only 2800 miles on it so I'm not sure what could be causing it.

Any ideas before I take it into the dealer next week?

Thanks

·
Registered
2020 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Z71
644 Posts
If it kinda sounds like a random typewriter sound, it's normal. Do a search for tick or ticking and you will find all you need to know. You will also find the severity of the 'tick' will vary with dfifferent oils and at different times between changes. The good news is that it will probably go away after a few thousand miles - mine doesn't tick anymore.

Kevin

·
Registered
112 Posts
Search for "tick" or "ticking" here, and on the forum at thedieselpage.com. There is enough info to occupy you for hours.

To sum it up, the ticking sound is normal, and common among diesel engines especially of Japanese make. Because newer engines make less other sounds, the ticking stands out. GM techs are advised not to adress the issue, or compare the sound to other engines.

Most find that the ticking comes and goes, and eventually disappears forever. It also seems that ticking is more common after an oil change, and some theorize that synthetic oil helps to alleviate the sound.

My ticking was loudest in the the first couple of thousand miles, and has not come back since I switched to Delvac 1 motor oil at 5 thousand miles. --SS

·
Registered
391 Posts
I got it too, checked it out...don't worry

·
Registered
85 Posts
Mine did it too at least at first, probably a couple thousand miles. I'd read enough about it and didn't worry. About the same time I stopped being concerned about it, it went away. I'm still using Rotella 15-40 and have not switched to synthetic...yet.

Mike

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the fast responses, it does sound kinda like what you describe. I will see if I can find the articles mentioned and see what they say about it. We had a 2000 Silverado with the 5.3L engine that had that knock on startup that they were famous for too. Being this truck is new I wanted to make sure nothing was wrong with it or else get it fixed while under warranty

·
Registered
962 Posts
Mine used to tick, pretty sure it stopped or I don't hear it anymore, either way I could care less after these kind folks showed me it's not serious.

·
Registered
157 Posts
It's probably still good to get it documented at the dealer just to cover your backside. At 10,000 miles, I hardly ever hear mine ticking anymore.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all for the info regarding it. That makes me feel a little better that it is probably nothing but will take it in to the dealer and let them know and document it too "just in case".

·
Registered
692 Posts
yes take it in and note it to gm. thia is a normal noise and gm has a tech note not bulliten just a note to all tech regarding this noise.i have headr it hundreads of times. the advisor i hope will listen and try to have the diesel tech listen and note it. just in case who knows 100k miles and 5 years or 7 years gm may issue a fix . have the tech note it not the advisor

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I took it in this AM and they listened to it and said it was normal and gave me the printout on it (guess it is that common). He did note that I was in about it tho.

Thanks Again for all the info on it and the reassurance that it is nothing to worry about

1 - 11 of 11 Posts