Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to replace the thermostats on my 2006 LBZ. Can any of y'all point me in the right direction on which kind to get and where..? I'm guessing Ac Delco brand, unless y'all have another brand that works as well?

Found these but I don't know about them..

https://www.xtremediesel.com/mishimo...gaAqb7EALw_wcB

I just want the plain jane ones.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Reactions: TiredFarmer

·
Registered
238 Posts
Ordered mine through gmpartsdirect.com

97241129 & 97241130

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I got mine from merchant great guys to deal with each and Everytime. (I'm in no way shape or form affiliated with them just a satisfied customer). Buy I will probably try low temp thermostats next time, truck still never seems to get 110% fully hot.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks guys. From my research, it says the thermostats should be 185 degrees, but from the limited amount I do know about these trucks, aren't they supposed to run at 210? (Please excuse my ignorance if what I said wasn't right.. Lol)

Also, found these on Rock Auto for $17.. Something doesn't seem right considering they are Ac Delco brand and cheaper than the off brand's I've looked at.. Second opinions? They are the ones for $17. 12T99D and 12T100D

2006 CHEVROLET SILVERADO 2500 6.6L V8 DIESEL Turbocharged Thermostat | RockAuto

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Thanks guys. From my research, it says the thermostats should be 185 degrees, but from the limited amount I do know about these trucks, aren't they supposed to run at 210? (Please excuse my ignorance if what I said wasn't right.. Lol)

Also, found these on Rock Auto for $17.. Something doesn't seem right considering they are Ac Delco brand and cheaper than the off brand's I've looked at.. Second opinions? They are the ones for $17. 12T99D and 12T100D

2006 CHEVROLET SILVERADO 2500 6.6L V8 DIESEL Turbocharged Thermostat | RockAuto
Look at the Alternate Part numbers. They don’t correlate with GM Part :97241129, GM Part :97241130
DO NOT BUY. If you need extra $$$$ PM me.
ACDelco 12T99D Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): 19137277
ACDelco 12T100D Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): 19137278

Cooling Cycle (6.6L Diesel Engine)

Coolant is drawn from the radiator outlet and into the water pump inlet by the water pump. The coolant flows to the heater core while the engine is running. This provides the passenger compartment with heat and defrost.
Coolant is then pumped through the water pump outlet and through the coolant pipe to the engine oil cooler. The coolant flows around the oil cooler element and to the rear engine cover. The rear engine cover distributes the coolant flow to both banks of the engine block. In the engine block, the coolant circulates through the water jackets surrounding the cylinders where it absorbs heat.
The coolant is then forced through the cylinder head gasket openings and into the cylinder heads. In the cylinder heads, the coolant flows through the water jackets surrounding the combustion chambers and valve seats, where it absorbs additional heat.
Coolant is also directed to the turbocharger. There it circulates through passages in the center housing. During engine warm-up cycle the bypass valve located in the turbocharger inlet hose at the outlet pipe prevents coolant flow. During normal operating temperatures, the coolant assists in keeping the turbocharger cool.
From the cylinder heads, the coolant flows to the thermostats. The coolant flows from the thermostat housing to the water pump through the bypass pipe until the enginereaches 85°C (185°F).
Operation of the cooling system requires proper functioning of all cooling system components. The cooling system consists of the following components:

Thermostats (6.6L Diesel Engine)

The thermostats are coolant flow control components. The purpose of the thermostats are to regulate the correct operating temperature of the engine. The thermostats utilizes a temperature sensitive wax-pellet element. The element connects to a valve through a piston. When the element is heated, it expands and exerts pressure against a rubber piston. This pressure forces the valve to open. As the element is cooled, it contracts. This contraction allows a spring to push the valve closed.
The 6.6L diesel engine requires two thermostats for correct coolant flow. The front thermostat is a dual purpose thermostat. The front thermostat controls the coolant flow to the bypass port and to the water outlet. The rear thermostat only controls the coolant flow to the water outlet.
When the coolant temperature is below the rated thermostat opening temperature, the front thermostat valve remains closed to the water outlet and is opened to the bypass port. The bottom portion of the thermostat is raised off of the bypass port while at the same time the top portion closes the coolant flow to the water outlet. The rear thermostat also is closed to the water outlet during engine warm-up. This prevents circulation of the coolant to the radiator and allows the engine to warm up quickly. After the coolant temperature reaches 82°C (180°F) the front thermostat primary valve opening temperature, the front thermostat primary valve will start to open. The coolant is then allowed to circulate through the thermostat to the radiator where the engine heat is dissipated to the atmosphere. As the engine coolant reaches 85°C (185°F) and more coolant demand is required the front thermostat secondary valve begins to close the bypass port and the rear thermostat begins to open coolant flow to the water outlet. The thermostats will continue to control the coolant flow by opening and closing. The front thermostat will be fully open when the coolant temperature reaches 95°C (203°F) the rear thermostat will be fully open when the coolant temperature reaches 100°C (212°F). The thermostat also provides a restriction in the cooling system, even after the it has opened. This restriction creates a pressure difference which prevents cavitation at the water pump and forces coolant to circulate through the engine block

Engine Oil Cooler (6.6L Diesel Engine)

The engine oil cooler is a heat exchanger. The engine oil cooler is mounted to the left lower corner of the engine. The oil filter is attached to the oil cooler housing. The engine coolant flows around the oil cooler element. The oil cooler element is a series of plates. The engine oil temperature is regulated by the temperature of the engine coolant that surrounds the oil cooler as the engine oil passes through the cooler.
The engine oil pump, pumps the oil through the engine oil feed line to the oil cooler. The oil then flows down through the cooler while the engine coolant absorbs heat from the oil. The oil is then pumped through the oil return line, to the oil filter, then to the main engine oil passage.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
You do not need that gasket. The ac delco #s listed are the same part as the GM #s, just packaged differently. Do not know where G2GBY came up with the AC delco #s131-163 and 131-131, no reference for them.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
You do not need that gasket. The ac delco #s listed are the same part as the GM #s, just packaged differently. Do not know where G2GBY came up with the AC delco #s131-163 and 131-131, no reference for them.
Have you ever looked in your owners manual? It list some Parts with GM part with ACDelco Part.

The Blue/White ACDelco box the thermostats come in will be packaged ACDelco with the GM part number on them plus the ACDelco part number.
GM 97241130 ACDELCO 131-131
GM 97241129 ACDELCO 131-163
Just like glow plugs, filters etc.. Packaged ACDelco with there part number along with GM part number.
Garentee if you order the GM Part number it will be packaged ACDelco but your going to pay almost twice the price. Your paying for the name.
If you order the ACDelco part it will be packaged ACDelco and have the GM Part number on it but you pay a lot less.

http://dirtyhookerdiesel.com/c-1014778-cooling-system-thermostat-related.html

Example
https://www.amazon.com/General-Motors-THERMOSTAT-97241130/dp/B008Y9J7KS
https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-131-131-Original-Equipment-Thermostat/dp/B000C9829A
Same place same part but $10 less

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Noticed AC- Delco also has OEM grade and professional grade for the thermostats listed for the duramax. The 131-131 is oem grade and has a squared edge on the rubber gasket. The 19137277 is professional grade and has a rounded edge on the gasket.

Reactions: TiredFarmer

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
If you get a thermostat from the Dealer you will get the ACDELCO GM ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT. Not a ACDELCO PROFESSIONAL

GM Part :97241129 ACDelco 131-163
G M Part :97241130 ACDelco 131-131

ACDELCO GM ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT

Engine Coolant Thermostat
Part Number: 131-197
Product Notes:
All; 185 DEG; VIN: D, Eng Code: LBZ*
Per Vehicle: 1; Years: 2007-2007

Engine Coolant Thermostat Kit
Part Number: 131-131
Product Notes:
Engine Coolant Thermostat Kit
All; 180 DEG; VIN: D, Eng Code: LBZ*

ACDELCO PROFESSIONAL

Part Number: 12T100D
Product Notes:
All; Rear; Temperature: 180F; Incld Components: Incls seal; OEM Recommended Temp; Std

Part Number: 12T99D
Product Notes:
All; Front; Temperature: 185F; Incld Components: Incls seal; OEM Recommended Temp; Std

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Few more questions guys..

Looked up the thermostat replacement process. I see that you have to drain the coolant first. Problem is, from the video I watched, apparently the 2006-newer trucks don't have a valve/plug to drain the coolant? I assume the only way to do this is by unhooking the lower radiator hose?

And when I fill it back up, what do I dump in it? I see folks are saying Dexcool but will any other coolant work as well?

·
Registered
234 Posts
That 1 inch hose at the bottom of the radiator,,just above the big radiator hose,,,,,,cut it in half. Splice in a T-Fitting with a couple of hose barbs and a shutoff valve or pipe plug. Get the stuff at Lowes or Home Depot. You might get wet this time, but never again.

·
Registered
238 Posts

Looked up the thermostat replacement process. I see that you have to drain the coolant first. Problem is, from the video I watched, apparently the 2006-newer trucks don't have a valve/plug to drain the coolant? I assume the only way to do this is by unhooking the lower radiator hose?

And when I fill it back up, what do I dump in it? I see folks are saying Dexcool but will any other coolant work as well?
If it has dexcool in it use dexcool, you don't want to mix the orange stuff with the green stuff!

Did my 05 thermostats yesterday. Didn't bother draining fluid out though, I just pulled the housing and let whatever fluid was there run out, swapped thermostats, installed the housing, loosened the bleeder screw and revved up the engine a few times till water was seeping out around the bleeder, tightened it up, put more fluid in the degas tank then raced it round town for a bit. Working great but I should have washed the engine bay down before heading out, once the engine was warm you could defiantly smell the hot coolant that was on it. :whistle:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts

This is for an LLY but might help. Also there lots of good YouTube videos.
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/71-information-place/19-do-yourself-useful-articles-product-reviews/399856-diy-lly-thermostat-replacement.html

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If it has dexcool in it use dexcool, you don't want to mix the orange stuff with the green stuff!

Did my 05 thermostats yesterday. Didn't bother draining fluid out though, I just pulled the housing and let whatever fluid was there run out, swapped thermostats, installed the housing, loosened the bleeder screw and revved up the engine a few times till water was seeping out around the bleeder, tightened it up, put more fluid in the degas tank then raced it round town for a bit. Working great but I should have washed the engine bay down before heading out, once the engine was warm you could defiantly smell the hot coolant that was on it. :whistle:
I'm not sure what kind of coolant is in it. I just got the truck in September and haven't put coolant in it. All I know is that it's red

·
Registered
156 Posts
Rock Auto Parts is not bad on price.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts