Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been covered and asked a zillion times but whats the current rumor and gossip?

·
Registered
262 Posts
>>I know this has been covered and asked a zillion times but whats >>the current rumor and gossip?

The van will have the Duramax in 2006. There are no plans to expand the Duramax to any other platform at this time.

<speculation>This is likely due to changing emissions standards. I base this on the following article.</speculation>

-------------------------------------------------

Lutz: Diesels Are Nonstarters for U.S.

3/20/03

GENEVA — Forget all the hype about diesels, Robert Lutz advises.

U.S. clean-air standards that take effect this year will nullify the advantages everyone thinks the engines will bring to the U.S. market, the General Motors product development vice chairman said in an interview at the Geneva Motor Show.

The Volkswagen Jetta is one of the few passenger cars in the United States that can be equipped with a diesel engine.

“We would like diesels,” Lutz said. “We think diesels are a major part of the solution for better fuel economy and cleaner emissions.

“But Europe has been very intelligent in setting (emissions) standards at a level where diesels are still feasible. In the U.S., we’ve done the opposite. Starting in ’05, we enter a tier of standards so severe that even the cleanest of European diesels with the technology known today are not going to pass.”

Diesels account for more than 40 percent of all new-vehicle sales in Europe, where fuel prices of $4 a gallon and above dictate the need for highly fuel-efficient vehicles. Reflecting their huge investment in the technology, European auto executives (and many journalists) have been pushing diesels as a clean-air and fuel-efficient cure-all for the American market.

The new U.S. emissions rules, known as Tier 2, will be phased in this fall through the 2009 model year. They sharply reduce allowable limits of smog-causing oxides of nitrogen, hydrocarbons and particulates — the sooty particles that have long been associated with diesel engines.

Under today’s rules, a light-duty diesel vehicle is allowed to emit about 1 gram a mile of oxides of nitrogen. Under Tier 2, that limit would be slashed to 0.20 gram a mile for an individual vehicle, but the manufacturer’s entire fleet still would have to average 0.07 gram a mile.

A separate set of rules accompanying Tier 2 drastically cuts the amount of sulfur permitted in diesel fuel from about 500 parts per million now to 15 ppm beginning in 2006. That, in theory, should simplify the auto industry’s task of reducing emissions through engineering.

But even working with cleaner fuel, Lutz said, the industry will not be able to meet Tier 2 tailpipe standards without expensive exhaust add-ons, such as particulate traps.

“Even if achieved, we estimate the fixes would add $2,000 to $3,000 in cost per vehicle in (exhaust treatment), plus some significant loss of improved fuel economy that the diesel is supposed to give you,” Lutz said.

Car buyers already must pay more for a diesel than for a comparable-output gasoline engine, but the upfront premium is offset over time by the engine’s better fuel efficiency.

Without the benefit of lower fuel bills, Lutz said, “At some point, you have to ask yourself if it’s worth it” to try to push diesels into the U.S. vehicle mix.

Reiterating a theme he and other GM executives have raised, Lutz said the best way to curb U.S. energy consumption would be to raise gasoline prices to European levels of about $4 a gallon over the next several years.

Although that obviously would wreck the market for large trucks — the industry’s profit cow — Lutz said, “If we’re really serious about fuel economy and cleaner emissions, the only way we’re going to get there is to use the tax mechanism to curb demand.

“If your kids are eating too much candy, you take their allowance away.

“If you want people to eat less, you raise the price of food. Instead, wh

·
Registered
262 Posts
Wickedsprint:

Personally, I think a 12 second Duramax H2 would be the ultimate commuter vehicle...

·
Registered
490 Posts
Reiterating a theme he and other GM executives have raised, Lutz said the best way to curb U.S. energy consumption would be to raise gasoline prices to European levels of about $4 a gallon over the next several years

Communists!!!!

·
Registered
262 Posts

>>Communists!!!!

Absolutely.

Fuel tax is, however, less extreme than the other solution being promoted our government -- increased CAFE standards. At least with higher gasoline taxes you could still choose to pay the tax and continue to drive a truck or an SUV.

GM would rather see gasoline priced at $4 a gallon than laws making it illegal to sell their products. Had Gore won the election things would likely be quite different today.

Hopefully biodiesel and ethanol catch on and neither of these "communist" solutions are enacted!

·
Registered
276 Posts
This doesn't really have anything to do with the Dmax in a Burb, but for those of you who get Design News magazine, there was an article in this months magazine about Detroit using more diesels, but the Burb wasn't one of them.

It spelled out the reasons that they have "failed" in the past, and why now they are so much better than they were in the past (early 80's).

The article really had some good things to say about diesel vehicles in the near future as a way to curb fuel consumption and pollution, and the article basically predicted that diesel vehicles will gain consumer confidence and popularity in the short time to come.

I don't have digital access, I only get the hard copy version, or I could quote it...

cadman_ks

·
Registered
43 Posts
there still gonna make the V6 duramax as far as i know its just a matter of engineering it to make it work, and if i remember corectly we got the goverment contract for all the military hummers starting in 2005 if thats correct i cant remember..im tired lol 66 hour weeks now:( maybe some 77 hour weeks...stop buying so many diesels lol Edited by: kool

·
Registered
962 Posts
Joe, sadly for both of us, the people the suburban cater to as well as the H2 would never opt for a diesel manual shift 4 door, we'd be the only customers. Edited by: Wickedsprint

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Make that the 3 of us.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Who the f**k is this Lutz? Is he campaigning for the democratic presidential nomination?

"Lutz said higher fuel taxes would provide many benefits other than fuel economy. “Those additional tax revenues could do a lot of good for American society in the form of better schools, roads and health care,” he said."

What a dick.

·
Registered
59 Posts
GM hired LUTZ away from Chrysler. IIRC he was the fellow responsible for getting show prototypes into the consumer's driveway. The Prowler and Viper came to mind. I'm a GM guy, thru and thru. Chrysler was listening to the public and producely cool concept vehicles like the PT cruiser and others. Chrysler had the quickest development team. Thier concept cars became reallity quicker than any other manufactures. Where am I going with this, you ask? Lutz was touted as the savoir for GM. I now a lot of show vehicles are now filtering into the market. How much Lutz was involved, I'm not sure. Some models that come to my mind are the following. The Silverado SS, retro SST pickup,Caddy XLR, Caddy SUV. I am not sticking up for this guy. I'm just sharing what I know. I would be upset if the cost of fuel went up. I am still waiting for these regenerative brakes. Ford was talking about a wind up sping on the rear axle to store energy. Hell we have a place to put 2 PTO's on our trucks. WHy couldn't we have a pump with a one way clutch to store energy on deacceleration. This stored energy could be used on takeoff, lower emissions output. The technology may not be there for Deisel engines, as he stated. But I feel that there are many other solutions, so we use our engines less. Why do our torque converters slip past our torque peak? Wy can't we lock out TC's at 1500 and use that massive amount of torque? Anyone who has driven a diesel with a manual behind it, nows how much torque is available. I crave new technology. I just don't beleive Lutz is telling the whole truth. Well, thats my 2 cents!

·
Registered
262 Posts
>> Who the f**k is this Lutz? Is he campaigning for the democratic >>presidential nomination?

Vice-Chairman of Product Development at GM or something like that. Basically he is the top engineer/product guy who determines what GM builds and sells -- basically "god" as far as the GM product line is concerned...

I don't think he's a Democrat (or at least I hope not). The guy drives a Shelby Cobra and flys a Mig -- he can't be all bad. I hope his support for a fuel tax is just a desparate attempt at eliminating CAFE standards. If not, he is delusional.

As I posted above, there are people that are trying to make it illegal to produce large "inefficient" vehicles. Faced with certain extinction, higher fuel taxes probably sound pretty good...

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So ummm...is there going to be a duramax suburban soon?

·
Registered
262 Posts
So ummm...is there going to be a duramax suburban soon?

No. I appologize if that wasn't clear in my first post.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts