Diesel Place banner
981 - 1000 of 1017 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Yes Longhorse
just google 2003 durakon DuraBurb its a Twin LBZ in a 2003 GMC, as a side not we are building a 2016 LML 3500 Suburban now with twins, S366 64mm in the valley and a S480 billet compound, 10mm stroker CP3 and 60 over injectors. Should be good for a de-rated honest 750HP/1500TQ

E30Dmax

No you can not use your NPG behind a LMM, the 07 suv was a crossover and the NPG (new process gear) is a left over from the GMT800 platform, you will need a MP (magnapower) T case and you will need to rewire your TCCM plugs to match 2007.5+ TCCMs

you can get the diagrams on alldatadiy cheap and blend them together:cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes Longhorse
just google 2003 durakon DuraBurb its a Twin LBZ in a 2003 GMC, as a side not we are building a 2016 LML 3500 Suburban now with twins, S366 64mm in the valley and a S480 billet compound, 10mm stroker CP3 and 60 over injectors. Should be good for a de-rated honest 750HP/1500TQ

E30Dmax

No you can not use your NPG behind a LMM, the 07 suv was a crossover and the NPG (new process gear) is a left over from the GMT800 platform, you will need a MP (magnapower) T case and you will need to rewire your TCCM plugs to match 2007.5+ TCCMs

you can get the diagrams on alldatadiy cheap and blend them together:cool:
Thanks for the info TDIguy! Is there any reason that I couldn't use the manual shift T-case?(assuming I would need to cut a hole in the floor)

·
Registered
579 Posts
Stopped in to say HI.....Sure is quiet around here these days.

Skippie

Reactions: testdrive and 96Sub

·
Registered
68 Posts
Two of us here today, and both from north of 49.
BTYW do you recall how you vented your fuel tanks. I am seriously considering re-doing the undersized vents on my 2000. Looking for other ideas.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Stopped in to say HI.....Sure is quiet around here these days.

Skippie
Hey skippie, long time no hear...
still here at times and still driving the Suburban...almost 340K miles and still puts a smile on my face. Seven time to Alaska and many times across the north America. Stopped in at Duraburb last March, said hi to Eric.
Anyway better luck in the next year, this one has been a *****. We've stayed healthy, but so many have fallen victims to the Covid. Stay healthy

Reactions: skippie

·
Registered
579 Posts
Two of us here today, and both from north of 49.
BTYW do you recall how you vented your fuel tanks. I am seriously considering re-doing the undersized vents on my 2000. Looking for other ideas.
Depends on which sender you used. I usually always use the 01-02 sender which has a 5/8" vent connection. I run that up to the filler neck and weld in a fitting to accept it

Skippie

Reactions: 96Sub

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #990 ·
Nice to see you guys around. We still drive ours when towing or going out with the family. After 13 years still no regrets making that decision and putting the work. No plans to sell it either. Good luck out there.
Boisebiker

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I could not ask for a better tow rig, It still gets the job done gracefully, whether at sea level or 15K feet up in the Colorado Rockies. Your build was a early inspiration to me.
Happy Trails to you

·
Registered
68 Posts
Depends on which sender you used. I usually always use the 01-02 sender which has a 5/8" vent connection. I run that up to the filler neck and weld in a fitting to accept it

Skippie
Initially for the main tank we re-used the original gas fuel sender with the tiny vent. Saying it is 3/8" vent line would be complimentary, closer to 5/16 - 1/4". When I ordered a diesel fuel module it looked the same as the gasser, just with the pump guts removed so we didn't use that.
At the other end of the tank near the rear axle, the factory 3/4" vent line to the filler tube was tee'd into for the bypass return line of the FASS pump, which eliminates any venting at that location by having fuel in the line; helpful friends did this for me and I wasn't aware until very recently so a separation of functions is coming as soon as warmer weather arrives.
The auxiliary tank currently also re-uses the tiny original gasser vent tubes, which are clearly inadequate will only equalize pressure between the two tanks regardless. I need to add some large vent to the auxiliary tank, but not having much luck in finding any add-on fittings that I like. I might tap into the rear fuel module with an AN fitting ?!? and run a big vent line to the filler tube, but curious what others have done. The current setup has worked for over ten years but fill-ups are painfully slow as you can imagine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2008 currently.
Deleted, EFI Live, Dual 45gal tank, Allison has upgraded clutches, new pump , Perfect convertor billet single disc convertor, Transgo Jr shift kit , Kodiak deep pan. Originally a Louisiana State Police 2wd 6.2 truck. Was told the conversion was done by Dylan Stormont in Ohio. Still has some odds and ends to work out (rear AC and reprogram truck cluster mainly) but overall been super happy with it. Getting ~12.5 towing my 20ft enclosed car hauler in the mountains, and ~20 Highway cruising.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2008 currently.
Deleted, EFI Live, Dual 45gal tank, Allison has upgraded clutches, new pump , Perfect convertor billet single disc convertor, Transgo Jr shift kit , Kodiak deep pan. Originally a Louisiana State Police 2wd 6.2 truck. Was told the conversion was done by Dylan Stormont in Ohio. Still has some odds and ends to work out (rear AC and reprogram truck cluster mainly) but overall been super happy with it. Getting ~12.5 towing my 20ft enclosed car hauler in the mountains, and ~20 Highway cruising.

View attachment 640887
Nice truck, can you provide more details on the dual 45 gallon tanks?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Brotherhood!

First post from a longtime reader. I really appreciate and enjoy reading what you guys post. I've learned quite a bit in the process.

I am hoping to start my conversion this summer. I have acquired my LBZ donor for a 2003 Quadrasteer suburban. I was hoping someone could help walk me through the process of titling/registering this thing in central VA. Do I leave the title as a gas burner and get it inspected or ask DMV to change it to Diesel? Do I need paperwork from the donor?

With the EPA cracking down on emissions and such, I'm hoping these conversions are still allowed.

·
Registered
67 Posts
In California I had to take it to a CA state smog referee. They scanned the ecm to ensure it was running 100% factory issues programming as well as verified that all original smog equipment from the donor was installed (egr, cat, turbo, etc). Once that all checked out and passed a snap test ( full throttle for 2-3 seconds looking for excessive smoke) they printed out a BAR label for the firewall which directs the smog check shop to smog it as if it were the donor vehicle.

Again that’s in California where we smog all diesels after 97 model year.

YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hello Brotherhood!

First post from a longtime reader. I really appreciate and enjoy reading what you guys post. I've learned quite a bit in the process.

I am hoping to start my conversion this summer. I have acquired my LBZ donor for a 2003 Quadrasteer suburban. I was hoping someone could help walk me through the process of titling/registering this thing in central VA. Do I leave the title as a gas burner and get it inspected or ask DMV to change it to Diesel? Do I need paperwork from the donor?

With the EPA cracking down on emissions and such, I'm hoping these conversions are still allowed.
I don't have emissions testing where I live, so I can't be of any help on that.

Good luck with the build! My truck is the same, LBZ/2003 Quadrasteer

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't have emissions testing where I live, so I can't be of any help on that.

Good luck with the build! My truck is the same, LBZ/2003 Quadrasteer
Thanks. My 2003 is white also, although with a lot more rust, unfortunately.

I must say your technical document on the conversion has been my handbook up to this point. Fantastic work putting that together.

981 - 1000 of 1017 Posts