Diesel Place banner

21 - 40 of 979 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Count me in. I'm on my phone or I'd look up my first build.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Welcome to the club

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Welcome to the club cdn111. Would be great to see some pics in your garage or right here.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Since this is a place for guys who have build a duramax SUV or for guys that want to, I thought it would be good to talk about some of the issues that come up with a normal build. There are many issues that we find when doing an engine swap, and it seems there are almost as many solutions. To start off I would like to know how every one dealt with the fuel system.
For myself I build the pickup/level sender out of a combination of the original Yukon XL, the Silverado, and some Ford parts. I retained the fuel cooler mounted horizontaly next to the transmission. I used all new flexible fuel lines up to where the steel lines come off of the transmission. I modified the fuel tanks to allow gravity flow from the rear tank to the front tank. And finnaly the fuel guage only works off of the front tank, so for the first 200 or so miles the guage reads full.
So tell us about your fuel system and some different solutions you came up with. Then we can discuss exhaust, body lift, electrical, ect.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I'm acually right in the middle of doing my fuel system ringht now. I used both the burban and the pickup sending unit and made 1 out of 2. Mine where in bad shape (rust) but I thing i was about to get it good, (going to install them this weekend) With your direction, I too am using a gravity feed system, I used bulk heads from a race car fuel cell, for fitting in the tank, I was thinking i needed a large hose to feed the front tank, so I used #16 fittings, very expensive, but I already had them lying around from my drag car... can afford the #16 line to go from fitting to fitting, so i'm going to use 1 1/4" fuel hose...hoping to have this all done this weekend, I'll update some pics of what i did on the build page next weeek

Skippie

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
Mine was a bit different, but I used my stock fuel tank assembly and sender. I used the old feed line as my new return line since it was 3/8", and bent it so it would return the fuel away from the pick-up tube. I then went and removed and unsoldered my old 5/16" return line and opened the hole up in the assembly to accept a piece of the old 1/2" hard line from my donor truck and installed it into the assembly and put a sock on teh bottom of it to prefilter. I then used some diesel grade wrapped fuel line that is flexible but uses a hard nylon inner line and ran that up to the engine by the turbo as the stock fuel lines that went from the engine back down by the trans to the frame would not clear my steering arrangement how I'd liked it to. I installed a KENNEDY single lift pump inline to help keep it filled with fuel on the top end. Since I already had a 42 gallon single tank in the back, no need for anything else.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I really liked the tank setup on the 90's suburbans, that single 42 gal tank sure was nice for long trips. How do you like the Kennedy pump? I keep thinking that this will become one of my future upgrades since I really don't like pushing on that primer button.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Skippie,
I used a 1/2" line for the gravity feed from the rear to the front tank. The fuel transfer at such a slow rate when running that this line has been plenty big. I also retained the original large line across the tops of the tanks for filling purposes. The tanks fill all the way from empty in one try without topping off more than once.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Yes I still kept the factory fill plumbing as well, I might look into a smaller transfer line. I still havnt drilled any holes. Hmmmm.

Skippie

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
I really liked the tank setup on the 90's suburbans, that single 42 gal tank sure was nice for long trips. How do you like the Kennedy pump? I keep thinking that this will become one of my future upgrades since I really don't like pushing on that primer button.
I really like the KENNEDY pump as it is SUPER quiet, and has had no problems supplying fuel even when I tried out a race tune. The downside is though it is not a self priming pump, so if you run it out of fuel you will still be out there pumping on the primer until you at least get fuel up to the filter head.

·
Registered
242 Posts
got a question. i have 3.73's right now and its great in the city at the strip and ok on the highway. with 33 in tires and the 6 speed auto could i go down to 3.23's and not lose a lot of performance. remember i use this truck at the track so i need to get out the hole. i want to drop my rpm on the highway. push come to show ill just install a gear venders overdrive unit call it a day and turn it into a 7 speed. i want everyone's opinion on this so butt in please... maybe 4.10's and a gear venders unit... we will see

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
got a question. i have 3.73's right now and its great in the city at the strip and ok on the highway. with 33 in tires and the 6 speed auto could i go down to 3.23's and not lose a lot of performance. remember i use this truck at the track so i need to get out the hole. i want to drop my rpm on the highway. push come to show ill just install a gear venders overdrive unit call it a day and turn it into a 7 speed. i want everyone's opinion on this so butt in please... maybe 4.10's and a gear venders unit... we will see
Well the Gear vendors and the ALLISON is a no no pretty much. The ALLISON uses a true lock-up clutch system that holds 100% in forward as well as reverse, and the GEAR VENDOR unit can handle alot of torque being applied to it under power but will self destruct under engine braking. For this reason teh folks at GEAR VENDORS highly reccomend not installing one of there units behind one as the ALLISON's grade braking is always active and cannot be turned off which could result in severe damage to the unit. With 3.73's and a 6 speed, you already have teh best of both worlds. I wouldn't change it one bit as you may end up losing economy by keeping it lugged down and shifting all the time trying to keep it in it's torque band. I have 3.42 gears, but I'm running 30" tall tires and only have a 5 speed. I really wish now I would have went to 3.73 gears as the 3.42 just put it out of it's torque band to much while towing.

·
Registered
242 Posts
well then 3.73s are staying... i was figuring the gear ratio was a little low for the tire size... but i will pickup a set of street slick's maybe 28" with steel rims for the track... thanks for the info...

·
Registered
619 Posts
Im bout to join in too

I have the 00 Yukon XL and Im gonna pluck out the 01 Twin Turbo number form my blazer. I plan to get going on the blazer now that it runs it needs to be built right. The burbs plans Incl 35"to 38" tires not sure yet, a D60 Front axle, and upgraded AAM rear axle, Im thinking a Winch type bumper front and matching rear, roof rack with tools, and wel see what else as time goes.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Madspeed, this thread is for any SUV powered by a duramax so you already qualify. If you want on the list just say so. That Blazer would be quite the sleeper but for comfort and utility a suburban is hard to beat.

·
Registered
619 Posts
ya know ur right

Ha Im not to good but im awful slow.
Count me in brothers.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Welcome to the club Maxspeed... that is one impressive blazer you have there... runs like a scalded dog!!!

·
Registered
575 Posts
well Boisebiker, I ended up ordering #8 (1/2") fitting for my transfer line. Got it all installed today, going to post some new pics in my thread.......

Skippie

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
You may want to post what the fuel fittings are and where you can get them. It looks to be a easier install than the weld in fittings I used, and replaceable/repairable.
I am sure there are other solutions to the fuel tank/fuel line issue, please let us know if you did something different.

21 - 40 of 979 Posts