Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

Called Chevy today. Need to stock serpentine belts, For our fleet.. This guy told me there are 3 sizes for the Duramax
How can that be.. What brand does GM use ???

Does anyone make a high end or better serpentine belt, for
the Duramax's.. If so please post the part numbers and brand .. We have all 2003's

From steve

·
Registered
217 Posts
I know there are at least two...if you have dual alternators it takes a different belt than a single alternator. Not sure what the third variant is for.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just what combinations can there be? I can understand the California model might have some additional equipment on them, like air pumps that simply add air to the exhaust to dilute the concentrations of burnt fuel. They must all have air conditioning compressors (well, maybe not), and altenators, power steering pumps. Strange, very strange.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yep, definately a different one for dual alternators.

I seem to recall someone posting that there was one of a slightly different length (single alternator) that helped get rid of the shutdown belt squeak. <= This is due to the fact that with the high compression, the engine stops so quickly on shutdown that the alternator tries to keep on rotating and "CHIRP!"

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I just looked at the sticker under the hood that shows how to route the belt. It shows three options. Standard, with two alternators and one with a vacuum pump. Later! Lone Eagle

·
Registered
96 Posts
Go to Goodyear's web site and see what they have listed for the Gatorback. I just replaced my factory belt with this and it runs smother and don't chirp when you shut it down

Here in Columbia the only one that could get the Gatorback was Auto Zone! Summit Racing also has them.

The Gatorback might run a little more, but think that you will get more service life from them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts