Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the experts on the forum. Is the subject filter a full flow filter or does it have an internal bypass valve that allows unfiltered fuel to enter the injection system when the filter is plugged. BG

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
What experts? Did somebody say there are experts here?

No bypass valve for that reason alone. They would rather have the truck stall than send crud through.Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have over 50,000 miles on my 2002 Crew Cab Duramax Diesel, w/ Allison Series 1000 Transmission. I change my fuel filter three times a year. I have had no problems with OE filter, and at changing the filter appears to be in good shape. Change often and run Premium Diesel Fuel and you will have little to worry about. And always remember Real Trucks don't have spark plugs, Drive ON! Edited by: Dustin

·
Registered
132 Posts
I was fueling up the other day and noticed the guy waiting behind me was driving a 2002 DMAX. I just had to ask if he'd had any problems. He said no problems at all! He proudly said he changed his first fuel filter at 30000 miles. His truck had 52000 miles on it and his next filter change would be at 60000 miles. He said this 30000 mile filter change was what GM recomended.??
?? I didn't have the heart to tell him about the discussions we have on this forum.------Phil

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have to agree with Crusher, that changing the fuel filter every 30,000 miles could be disasteris. The mechanic and the guy at the parts place where I get my filters, said that he recommends a minimum of four times a year. One thing about this, you probably can't change it to much. Drive On! Edited by: Dustin

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I guess this is when "ignorance is bliss" comes into the mix.

Or what we do not know will not hurt us.

I'll will not be surprized if nothing ever happens to his engine. It is just how is works

·
Registered
183 Posts
Talked to a guy the other day 2002 Duramax 85,000 miles thinking about changing his second fuel filter
.Says when lack of power time to change O problems go figure. Works for him
sure makes me feel better
I am on filter 3 getting ready to change at 30,000 to 4th and I think I need a secondary.My opinion oil change ,fuel filter change,cheap insurance and a indication of the quality of your fuel.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
for what its worth my first fuel filter was done at 13k. from here on out i intend to change it along with my oil and oil filter as well a allison spin on every 5k.... its cheap enough insurance....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts