Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you diesel officianatos think like bikers: "Instant bikers still s*ck"?

Hope not! I just picked up my '03 Silverado 2500HD LT 4x4 LB. I paid way too much but I really like driving it. I will be towing, at least for now, a 32' Jayco TT.

You guys are a wealth of information. The dealership really stank. They didn't even know the proper procedure for starting the engine.

That being said, what information should a newbie know?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
130 Posts
#1 Start looking for a good diesel mechanic at a local GM dealer. If you have a problem with the engine in your truck you do not want just anybody who can read a manual trying to work on your truck. If they do you will be back time and time again (that is what I am reading) trying to get it fixed. I bet this is the number one mistake of newbies

#2 Do the maintenance on the fuel filter well before it is due. I replaced mine at 8k well below the recomended 30k. (I will decide if it was necessary when I cut open the filter and see what % of life it had left. I would hope to tget 15k but I am not taking chances.

#3 Research aftermarket suplimental fuel filtration on this website. You need it. Once you decided what you want to go with talk to your Service advisor at the GM dealer of choice and get their signoff on this not voiding your waranty. (even if it means they need to do the install) out of waranty injector replacment could run you $3-$5k. I don't mean to scare you but GM missed the boat on this one. I will add mine after XMAS.

#4 Buy good diesel from a high turnover kind of location like truckstops. Look for filters on the pump hoses where you buy diesel.

#5 Use a fuel additive that does not contain alcohol for the control of water. My understand is there are 2 basic types. A) displaces the water from the fuel making it collect in the bottom of you fuel tank and filter (promoting rust) GM recomends this kind! and B) One that emulsifies (breaks the water down in to very small particles and encapsulates it where it can be passed through your fuel pump and enjectors without causing harm. (I use the GM recomended version but don't like the idea much. I take a sample from my fuel filter once every week or two to see if there is any water in the fuel.

# 6 Grease the front end ASAP. They only need a hit or two but there is no guarantee that it was done at the factor or as part of delivery prep.

#7 Maintnenace. There is a link at the top of the froum about recomended maintenance it is a very good start.

#8 Start practicing your lines on your wife / girlfriend. Like I need X so I can make sure my truck last as long as it should. Or my favorite. Hey it is $500 bucks but it could keep me from having to replace my tuck before 200k miles. (My wife is just dying for me to add the spray in bed liner and I thik I got her worried about needing a juice with attitude (since we pull a travel trailer and I want to monitor the EGT's and stuff.)

Have fun and enjoy the truck! Oh yea be careful on rain slick roads. more than once I have had to pull my foot out of it because the back end thought it was a drackster

·
Registered
514 Posts
Cruz_Man, In the Diesel Supplement for the 2002 Duramax it shows the fuel filter service interval is 15,000 Miles. The Owner's Manual which has the maintenance schedule for the gassers shows the 30,000 mile interval. Maybe it's different for a 2003, but the maintenance schedule in the Owner's Manual is for gas engines. The diesel specific maintenance requirements are in the Duarmax Diesel Suppliment, an additional book to the Owner's Manual.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Cruz_man, this sounds like really good sound advice.

I can talk with some authority about sprayed in liners. I traded a '99 Dodge 1500 Quad Cab w/360.

I put in a Speed Liner sprayed in Chili Red liner and loved it! In '99 it cost about $460. I really liked it and prefer it to my plastic bedliner. It was shiny, great looking, and stuff didn't slide around in the bed. I didn't have a cover over the bed and the liner made the whole truck quieter. Rhino brand has a lower durometer and quickly shows damage at the bottom of the gate after using it a couple of times.

You can do it on a new or old truck since the whole bed is sanded and primed prior to spraying. I loaded very heavy loads of pellet stoves, pellets, etc. and the liner looked as good as new.

It is well worth the money.

But, from my experience, if you try to sneak it past the wife, don't park it in the garage with the garage doors closed. The "new paint" smell will give you away! I told my wife I spilled chemicles on the garage floor. She bought it and only noticed the liner several months later when she was looking into her mirror!

·
Registered
130 Posts
You were right about the filter change interval. So perhaps I will push it to 10k. I didn't get a chance to cut the one I replace yesterday so perhaps tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
JTrate,

Welcome to the word of diesel!
Once you have one you'll never want any other engine. This is my third one and unless they(manufacturuers) do something stupid I will always drive them. This is my first Duramax and so far I love the engine and trans combo. The part about your dealer not knowing how to start her made me laugh. When we picked our truck up he went over the radio, power seats, mirrors, ext....but when I asked him how to drain water from the filter if I get a "Water in Fuel" light he had no idea.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was sitting in the drivers seat with my sales WOMEN next to me. When I asked if there was anything special I needed to do to start the engine she leaned toward me and reached into the back seat for a manual.

Did I mention she had a very low cut top on?

Got my motor running but didn't answer my question!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts