Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I blew head gasket in my 05 2500 lly. I bought a wrecked truck and decided to just swap engines. They both ran but the guy I got the good engine from said he thought the cp3 may be acting up it had died a few times or whatever but still ran. I drive my truck into garage and changed engines. But I changed the cp3 when I had engine out just to be safe. He said injectors and head gaskets and studs only had about 8000 miles on them and studs all looked like recently done. Anyways I get it in and can’t get it to prime the rails. Fuel just trickles out. I rebuilt primer changed cp3 again and still the same no pressure. I got pissed unhooked glow plugs and sprayed it. It started and I happened to have the crossover fuel line to passenger side rail cracked and when it started fuel sprayed like crazy like finally I thought it busted that air or whatever out and finally primed. Try to start it again with no spray and same crap fuel hardly trickles out of injector line. I even thought it wasn’t spinning fast enough so I got a new starter and two new batteries. I’m so lost I can’t figure this out. Any ideas?? I’m desperate it is my plow truck and it’s supposed to snow tomorrow I really need my truck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’d check the fuel lines on the FICM. I was having the same problem with my LLY and it ended up being a loose banjo bolt. It’s worth a check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’d check the fuel lines on the FICM. I was having the same problem with my LLY and it ended up being a loose banjo bolt. It’s worth a check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I changed it thinking that may be the problem Thank you tho

·
Premium Member
18,002 Posts
Is the ground wire from the driver's cylinder head rear connected to the firewall?

Reactions: OkDually

·
Administrator
17,759 Posts
I changed it thinking that may be the problem Thank you tho
Welcome to DieselPlace

I would start by inspecting all fuel hoses to make sure there are no kinks, dry rot rubber, cracks, etc..
I would then pump up the primer and let it sit (preferably overnight) recheck the primer and if it is soft you have an air intrusion/leak you need to hunt down..
Go through and check fuses, and grounds.
You're going to need a scanner that can read live data. You'll need to see what actual vs desired fuel pressures are.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the ground wire from the driver's cylinder head rear
The only thing I can’t really figure out is that ground is going from head to firewall but there is a spot for another ground real close to that one on firewall and I haven’t found that yet. Good is still off I was thinking may be something from that?? It does hold pressure overnight also. Can you recommend a good computer program to use to get the live data? I’ve been looking but can’t figure out what to get. Would like to be reasonably price but i understand you get what you pay for.

·
Premium Member
18,002 Posts
That other stud is for ground strap to hood, to improve AM radio reception.

·
Administrator
17,759 Posts
The only thing I can’t really figure out is that ground is going from head to firewall but there is a spot for another ground real close to that one on firewall and I haven’t found that yet. Good is still off I was thinking may be something from that?? It does hold pressure overnight also. Can you recommend a good computer program to use to get the live data? I’ve been looking but can’t figure out what to get. Would like to be reasonably price but i understand you get what you pay for.
You can go as simple as getting the TorquePro app on your phone and a good ELM 327 adapter or you can find mid priced scanners on the market .
If you look around on eBay/amazon you can find Tech II clones reasonably priced.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Did you get it running?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts