Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a copy of a post made to RV.NET forum in response to a question about the reliability of the DMax/Allison combo....Don't know how factual it may be, but interesting reading anyway...

The company I work for buys around 50 or so each year. They carry around 6000# with them all the time( ambulance module). 1700 employees company wide and lots of different driving habits and believe me we are hard on them. Since the first year we purchased we have sent around 20% of them back to the dealer for fuel injector pump/injector problems. Most of them around 100,000 miles and less than 2 years old. At a cost of $5000 for replacement of injector pump(parts and labor) and $256 per injector it would cost alot if not for the 100,000 mile war.! Furthermore 37% of them return for similar problems within the next 3-6 months. I believe this problem is mostly an in house one due to the nature of the business and the fact they are cranked and flying down the road within 30secs, also they are idling for long periods of time. Hope this helps you. On a liter note, having driven diesels for about 13 years- from the old fords to the powerstroke and from the 6.5 to the duramax, it is the strongest engine I have ever driven in a 3/4 ton vehicle and if they would put it in the Yukon I would buy it! just get the extended war.

mjababaconner
Moss Bluff, La
5 kids;3-girls, 2-boys
2001 3/4 yukonxl 4x4, 8.1
liter v8 with 3:73

·
Registered
183 Posts
Rollin' Thunder-

I posted some questions to this guy on the same thread. I think it would be beneficial for him to disclose where they buy their fuel..how often they change fuel filters..have they added secondary filtration. My guess is that there is something else at work beyond his outright claim of a 20% failure rate. Furthermore, with all that he posted, he still says he'd love to have one in a Yukon or 'Burb.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Yea, that failure rate is a bit high. But I suppose commercially used vehicles get more abuse, carry more load, and see more fuel through the nozzle.

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
I bought my truck specificaly for work. It was even purchaced under my buisnesname. I drive to several locations a day towing a 2500LB. trailer. I am usually in a hurry. ( Time is money) I do not think my vehicle is in any type of severe duty situation. If I wanted to pussyfoot my truck I would of bought a 1/2 ton gasser. If my truck can not hold up to normal work situations, then they should not advertise this truck with a guy driving up a ski slope towing some huge gigantic load( T.V. commercial). You guys that just drive your trucks to the grocery store are actually the ones not using the trucks as designed!!! Quit trying to sell me added filtration and premium fuel. The manual specifically stated these things are not nessacary. TRUTH IN ADVERTISING!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts