Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is not advised....but does anyone here know how deep of water a 2500HD Duramax will run in? Will it run as long as the air intake stays above the water line?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've read somewhere else (not sure where now) that the main limiting factor is the vents on the diffs.

·
Registered
958 Posts
You can submerge your differentials but make sure you flush them and change the oil ASAP when you're done fooling around!

I save myself the trouble and just stay out of the water.

·
Registered
817 Posts
The real question is what are you planning on doing?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chuntag,

Noticed you live in Rowlett? Tell me there is not a couple times a year that you are not required to drive through a little water
. I have always been told that a diesel is not as vulnerable as a gasser going through high water....as this is my first, I was just wondering at what point I would flood out.

·
Registered
369 Posts
older diesels i think were much better in water when they had mechanical fuel injection and no electronics so to speak of compared to today as long as the intake and exhaust were above water they kept on running. These new trucks are ALL electronics. electronic activated injectors and sensors everywhere and computers ETC, as soon as water gets into a few of the connectors you are done IMO... I would not think a dmax would go any deeper than say the same truck with a 6.0 in it would go, could be wrong though?????

·
Registered
817 Posts
The deepest water I have to drive through is on my street.
It used to jump the curb and flood the front yard on a regular basis. They built a housing addition where the field used to be behind the house and muddjacked the street up, so it doesn't get near as bad. We did have pontoons on the mower once.

I had heard the watch for water in the diffs before. Just changed mine for the second time and all was dry inside. Was going to change the wife's, but it had no plug and I didn't feel like scraping.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Water above the level of the vented fuel cap might not stop you mid-stream, but it'll cause a world of problems.

I'm not at all sure the intake will keep water out once the fan hits the surface. . . probably the water sould hang out in the intercooler until the next time you make boost, then hydro-lock a cylinder and you'll be in the market for a D-max in a crate.

I may be a
, but I'll not be getting mine in over its hubs.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Don't forget about the crankcase vent tube. It's kinda low on the engine and I guess you could suck some water into the crankcase. Bad news!!

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
When you get above the center of the wheel you can get water into some of the electrical connections on the trans and front axle. Later! Frank

·
Registered
138 Posts
The vent for the rear diff has a hose on it that terminates clear up by the diesel fuel filler door.

The front vent comes clear up on the firewall just behind the master cylinder.

You'd be doing the breast stoke behind the steering wheel if that's the limiting factor.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I think the limiting factor is he bottom of the door. Once you hit that point, you will have a wet interior.
I would think the electronics upt to that level could handle submersion.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
My friend had his stall out at just around the top of the front wheel..... He was moving through a flooded gravel pit up north trying to cross on a trail thats normally only a half a foot deep..... we pulled him back, let it sit for a beer or two and it started... Ran like sh*t for a week, got better.... and is running strong almost a year later....... He did change all fluids in teh next week after our drunken fun.....

I would think that 3/4 tire is max.......

And I agree with strech...... If it hits the bottom of the door , ur in deep sh*t....

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep....gets to the bottom of the door its time to break out the cooler and fishing poles!
Thanks for the response.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts