Diesel Place banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to get some thoughts/opinions on a new project of mine. I have a 1960 Jeep FC (forward control) 170 dually. I am putting a duramax/allison combo in it. I am going to use this as a tow rig for my two trail jeeps. First step will be to stretch the cab to make it a 5 seater (2 in front, 3 in back). Then I plan to put a generator, welder, fuel tank, and tool box in/on the bed somehow. Need opinions on what bed would work and look best. Should I put some sort of box bed on and have everything inside and then tow a two car trailer, bumper pull. Or should I just stick with a flat bed style and run a fifth wheel trailer. Just looking for some opinions and thoughts on this. This is planned to be a really cool and one of a kind tow rig. I will post some pictures as soon as I get a chance.

·
Registered
269 Posts
i would go w/ the fifth wheel and a box.. reason for the fifth wheel cause of the two jeeps that would be on the back and the box because for storage purposes when not towing... just my 2 cents... sorry i cant help with the details... i cant wait to see the project pics!!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Do you have pics of what the Jeep looks like now?

·
Registered
170 Posts
X2 on the gooseneck, they pull so much nicer. Wouldn't want to pull a 2 vehicle bumper pull trailer, but that's just me. Could run either box or flatbed with the GN.

Those FCs are ugly as sin but would make for a cool project. Lets see some pics of it currently.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I currently havethe bed and cab off and started working on the frame. I have pics from the start of the project. I will post some good pictures later tonight.

And yes, they are ugly, very ugly, but that is what I like about it. It is almost so odd and ugly that is makes it cool . I have some big plans for it. Everyone I have talked to so far seems to like the idea. I think it will turn out as a really sweet rig.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I really like your idea, it sounds like a big project. I'd have to agree with others about setting it up for a gooseneck with a box for storage. IMO goosenecks are easier to manuver and also tow better going down the road, especially when the trailer is loaded with something heavy (like 2 vehicles).

Where did you get your info on how to make the duramax/allison combo work in an older vehicle? I'd like to do something similar with a standard tranny in an '84 GMC

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think making the D/A combo work will be that hard. I got a wrecked truck with a good engine and trans. (and wiring) Basically take all that and fit it to the frame. It will all fit relatively easy. Then just modify the cab some to fit over the engine. It will be a lot of work, but I always seem to figure something out on these type of projects.

Do you want to put a standard in your GMC? Best bet in my opinion would be to find cltuch pedal assembly and the linkage from a standard truck and swap it into yours. Should be bascially a bolt in procedure (at least hopefully it should). You would also need a different transmission mount I think .

·
Registered
891 Posts
Any pic's yet?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry, not yet. Tried last night but for some reason they wouldn't load.
Hopefully tonight I can get some loaded.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts