Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone tell me the difference between the duramax? (first generation, 2nd.... 3rd... etc)

are any of them better? any of them have major problems? something i should look for?

do all of them have the Allison trannies?

I am in the market for a duramax and want to be informed

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
01-04
LB7
300hp
520lbft

Injector problems but all but 2004's have a 200k mile warranty on injectors
01 lb7 head gasket faliure happens more frequent than 02-04's

04.5-06
LLY
310hp
605lbft
lly's have overheating problems

06-07LBZ
360hp
650lbft
No problems

All automatics are allisons manuals are ZF's

·
Registered
453 Posts
Do the 06 LLYs suffer from the overheating debacle?

Also, the 06 Allison is a bit different from the earlier models. It's a six-speed with another overdrive gear, so unloaded highway mileage is improved a bit. It also has benefitted from some internal mods that make holding power a bit easier.
The 06 LLY is different mechanically from the 04.5-05 LLY from what I've read, differing from the LBZ only in power output.

·
Registered
924 Posts
There are 3 motors LLy Lb7 Lbz and the 2007.5 Lmm.Thats what i know of there could be more or less.Im just kinda new to the duramax myself.I have a 2007 Lbz 3rd gen.Mine says 365hp & 655 torque.From what im told.Others will chime in soon for more good stuff to spend your money on.My goal is to get up to 700hp and a whole bunch of torque.Break out green backs.I have a whole lot of stuff to do and a little at a time.No problems with mime yet,Im running a trippledog Bulldog.And maybe gonna switch to a ppe after my updates and ad ons are right.$45.000 turns into $50.000 awfully quick.Im still learning limp,transgo tranny kit and so on.So much to learn in a short period of time.I get a lot of good ideas here.I blame the dura owners for my addiction.At least thats what i tell the wife.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
chem;1564888; said:
can anyone tell me the difference between the duramax? (first generation, 2nd.... 3rd... etc)

are any of them better? any of them have major problems? something i should look for?

do all of them have the Allison trannies?

I am in the market for a duramax and want to be informed
How much you lookin' to spend?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i am looking to spend mid 20's....

thanks for the info.... any big reason why the big increase in HP came about in 06?

·
Registered
924 Posts
chem;1565240; said:
i am looking to spend mid 20's....

thanks for the info.... any big reason why the big increase in HP came about in 06?
technology and emissions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wouldnt emissions lower power output?

is the turbo pushing more boost? better head flow? more injector?

in other words how can i make an 01 outperform an 06

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
chem;1565505; said:

i assume you are talking about modded ones, and that is because there has been a lot more time for companies to developing add-on parts for them. give the later models some time and youll see the same if not better #'s

·
Registered
924 Posts
chem;1565505; said:

I couldnt tell you that.Im a newbie also.All i know is i have the last of the 3rd gen trucks ,and the new Lmm is gonna be full of emissions stuff.If it werent fer emissions id have a race truck fer sure.Hope you get what your asking for.Im interested also.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
chem;1565505; said:
Do a search here for Nasty Girl and you will see what an LB7 can do.

·
Registered
924 Posts
yup nasty girl over 1000 hp thats awsome.Her truck seems to be full of gauges also.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts