Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Antt,

That's a good link and will probably give you all the numbers you need. In strictly around town driving I generally get 15s in the warm months and 14s in the cold ones. Wednesday, though I had to make an unexpected dash down to Oakland from Sacramento. I drove 80-85 consistently on the way down and because it was late morning I was able to maintain that speed most of the way. On the way back I loafed along at 65-70. I averaged 18.6 mpg for the trip, which included a few city miles as well. I'm impressed.

TC

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
I have got as good as 16.7 town and 20.4 frwy. The worst Ive got is 13.x town and 18 frwy.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I find that if I am doing short trips, and the motor doesn't get up to a good operating temperature, that my city mileage will be lower - sometimes 12.5-13.5. I generally get 14-ish around town and have gotten 19.5 on highway. But truck is still breaking in with 6k miles.

Mileage you get is dependent on where you buy fuel - I take the "buy from a high volume station" advice a little differently than most. I will buy from smaller (not truck stop) stations that are "good brand" - shell or chevron. Right now, I exclusively buy shell. I would buy chevron exclusively - but the station I drive by every morning costs 15 cents more than the shell nearby - I am afraid the fuel sits too long due to the high price...

jeff

Edited by: dmax lover

·
Registered
414 Posts
With the Quad 135 box on the 110 setting: 19-20 in town (pre-box: 18) and 20 highway (no change from pre-box). '02 Crew-cab 4x4 ZF/6 tranny. Sure seems like the Allisons rob a lot of fuel mileage...

Tim

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm not sure about the allison robbing fuel millage and maybe I'm just the exception also. I normally get 19 mpg around town when the temp is above 60 deg. 17 to 18 when below that. I also drive the Pa turnpike to Ohio alot and normally average about 24 MPG no mater what the temp is and I normally don't drive over 68 mph. The highest I have got on that trip is 26 mpg and the lowest 22 mpg. I think most of the mpg differances come from the foot being almost on the floor all the time.

luvthesmellofdiesel said:
With the Quad 135 box on the 110 setting:  19-20 in town (pre-box: 18) and 20 highway (no change from pre-box).  '02 Crew-cab 4x4 ZF/6 tranny.  Sure seems like the Allisons rob a lot of fuel mileage...

Tim

·
Registered
361 Posts
I am getting 14-16 around town ant 18-20 on highway. At 8k miles my total average is 17.4 mpg

·
Registered
490 Posts
On my trip to Florida from Ohio, I averaged 20.3 mpg. This includes one tank of sightseeing around Gainesville. Best tank was 22.77 mpg, and worst was 18.36 mpg

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just put the first 300 miles on my truck driving it home from the dealership yesterday.
. My average econ. was 16.2 almost all highway. I am sure this will improve with breakin. And I'll see what the mileage really is the first time I go to the pump.

·
Registered
248 Posts
City = 14-15 , Hwy = 18-19. Best complete tank ( My last tank ) = 19.3 with 5500 miles on truck. It seems that the DIC is usually lower than hand calculations. Also, bucking high winds seems to really knock the mileage down.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
PoolRebel said:
I'm not sure about the allison robbing fuel millage and maybe I'm just the exception also. I normally get 19 mpg around town when the temp is above 60 deg. 17 to 18 when below that. I also drive the Pa turnpike to Ohio alot and normally average about 24 MPG no mater what the temp is and I normally don't drive over 68 mph. The highest I have got on that trip is 26 mpg and the lowest 22 mpg. I think most of the mpg differances come from the foot being almost on the floor all the time.

luvthesmellofdiesel said:
With the Quad 135 box on the 110 setting: 19-20 in town (pre-box: 18) and 20 highway (no change from pre-box). '02 Crew-cab 4x4 ZF/6 tranny. Sure seems like the Allisons rob a lot of fuel mileage...

Tim

I just read on another forum GMC-Diesel.com, that someone got a call from a 'stealer" about GMC notice regarding low mileage, low power, and noisy turbos. Have any of you heard anything about this?

BTW, I get between 16.9 to 18.2 in the city depending on my foot and the temp. Hwy is 21 to 22.3.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
I wish I knew something about that. My truck gets just over 12, yes I said 12, MPG on AVG! I have yet to see any real MPG. The truck has 28k and 1,400 hours on it. The hours are high because of the "idle time" and I do account for that. I have cleaned the MAF but the mileage stays the same? When I pull my small trailer it really plummits. However, when I'm dragging the Bobcat (12k with trailer) it's only 8 to 10% less than the small trailer? I thought it might be my driving because my 02' got about the same MPG but there is just no way..... Even on cruise the trucks get about the same....what gives?

I hated that %^& *@!! Dodge but the MPG was GREAT!

Burner-------->

·
Registered
433 Posts
I wish I could help you Burner but I can't. I to get around 12 - 13 mpg, but only in the winter time. I do start my truck 20 minutes early every morning before going to work and every afternoon before going back home. Here the temps have been in the low teens and even down to 0 a few times and I am sure you all know how long it takes to warm these things up, especially a crew cab. So, I know why I get poor mileage. Now during the summer or if I am just taking a long trip I will get anywhere from 17 - 19 city and 20 - 22 highway. I have seen it so I know she will get it. Just keeping my foot off that pedal and keeping her moving makes her happy, keeping my foot on the pedal and really moving makes ME happy.

Jeff

·
Banned
394 Posts
bul bull bull my truck must be broke......i have never got over 15.5 and usually around 14....not loaded and never even pulled a trailer just 285's and attitude

·
Registered
541 Posts
I consistantly get 14 in town and combo city highway 16 - 18. Highway only empty 18-20 if I drive 65 in reasonably level terrain. Towing with 8600 pound TT and aux tank tool box combo and another tool box driving interstate in hills and mountains up to 10,500 ft and some back roads over all average is 10.5 and that is consistant on 2 trips for 2000 and 3600 miles each. Best towing was 12 and worst was 8.5. Average 10.5

Tom

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm just glad to see I'm not the only one that don't get good milage.
Mostly 13 or so. Saw 15 once. Worst was 7.5 with the gooseneck on at 75mph. (yes, it will move!)
On the farm around 10-11 or so. But then I do USE the truck.

Just spent $700 on the front end. Tie-rod idler arm was worn and a wheel bearing assambly was out. Like I said, I use the thing to work.

·
Registered
433 Posts
rickles04, How often is your foot to the floor? If you have the attitude, I would assume quite often.
Here in Alaska we have several feet of snow and a lot of ice on the roads, so I am limited on how much pedal I can give it. But come summertime I expect to see the same gas mileage I am getting now because I will be checking out my new Attitude. I just wish I could use it to it's full potential NOW.
This is the time I really miss S. Carolina. But I won't go back there again. TOO HOT and MUGGY. I like the snow. Just pulled out 2 trucks that were in the ditch today. One was a Toyota and the other was a Ford F150 with 4wd. I just put my front hitch in and hooked a tow strap and just let the idle walk him out.
Gotta luv it.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I've already done my mpg estimates from time consuming pump calculations. I always assumed filling to the rim and letting the bubbles settle would be fairly accurate. A couple of recent fills I noticed filling to the rim at the station and driving .5 mile, there is no longer fuel in the fuel neck! The neck looks to hold a few 12 oz bottles of your favorite liquid so maybe bubbles aren't getting up to the fuel neck until driving begins. Anywho, my guestimates are slightly off.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts