Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody tell me what is the best LISLE filter tool to use for removal of the fuel filter. Earlier some people discussed one that appeared to be the LISLE tool, part no. 635000. It consists of a square tube with a strap loop fastened near one end and and has pressure put on it with either a 1/2" rachet or a 3/4 open end. Apperently this tool is used from the top of engine after removing the wire connection on the bottom of the filter. Appreciate any commentss on this tool or others. Riight now that filter looks like a bear to take out. LISLE tools are pictured on thier web. Bill

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had a hech of a time getting my filter off. I unpluged the wires to the bottom and used a oil filter wrench to get it off from the top. I later found that the inner wheel wel panal on the passanger side can be removed for easy access to the filter. Good luck and get ready to smell like a diesel pump.
You can buy a filter wrench at any parts store like Napa or Pep Boys.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I have the same strap wrench and have changed my filter from the top a couple of times with it. I also have riv-nuts for the liner so I can pull out the line in about 30 seconds. Either way works, but neither way is spill proof.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Guess I was lucky. Wore latex gloves, drained a little water (actually fuel) out of the bottom, detached the leades, took the fill cap off, reached down and gave it a twist and it broke loose without a problem The latex gloves really helped grip the filter though. Spills? yah

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have the same strap wrench and have used it from top and thru fender well. I always use caution on re-install, since I have problems gripping the filter with my hand, is to be sure the bar is against the top lip of the filter to prevent crushing the can. I use the strap just to put a little oomp on the filter to be sure it is snugged up. Haven't had a problem doing this.

The hardest part for me is the electrical connector because I have to do it one handed. I take the wire harness out of the clip on the head. I wish they would use a connector without the lock on it or make the wire a little longer. A small guy can get into the wheel well on top of the tire and do it but not me at 6'2" and 280.

Tom

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm kinda partial to this one. Got it at NAPA. It has K-D Tools etched on the chrome piece. You can use 3/8" or 1/2" square drive on opposite ends of the chrome piece. The nylon strap is two inches wide and you could pull a Duramax with it. It handled the original oil filter just fine with a two foot long torque handle.

I change the fuel filter from the top. Don't touch anything.

Hmm, that didn't work very well. Ok, we'll paste in a link.

Cool Toolhttp://mywebpages.comcast.net/gwmayes/DCP_0455.JPG

Edited by: gwmayes

·
Registered
514 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
chuntag95 said:
I have the same strap wrench and have changed my filter from the top a couple of times with it. I also have riv-nuts for the liner so I can pull out the line in about 30 seconds. Either way works, but neither way is spill proof.

What are RV- nuts, where do I get them? I'm 75, 6', 240 lbs, a little stiffand numb fingered so taking out that side panel sounds like the way for me to go. Don't mind a little clean dirt like off the wheel or diesel oil. My wife says it takes 2-3 washings of my clothes to get the smell out.

·
Registered
540 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
So far I've been able to do all (7 I think) by hand with latex gloves.(except for the first one of course). I open the bleeder screw and drain the filter first so there is no spill. BTW I attach about a three ft piece of windshield washer hose to the drain so if I ever have to drain it on the side of the road I would get no fuel on the frame and strip off the undercoating. I've also not been able to drain my filters without opening the bleeder screw to break the suction. I also use an O-ring assembly lube on the O-rings, maybe thats why I can get them off easily?

·
Banned
6,541 Posts
Bill Gisse said:
chuntag95 said:

What are RV- nuts, where do I get them? I'm 75, 6', 240 lbs, a little stiffand numb fingered so taking out that side panel sounds like the way for me to go. Don't mind a little clean dirt like off the wheel or diesel oil. My wife says it takes 2-3 washings of my clothes to get the smell out.
Here's my picture album of RivNuts...

Remember you can pick the pictures and they will enlarge. Also note the navigation arrows above the pictures...

RivNuts

·
Registered
71 Posts
I haven't found any easy way to get them off, but a good little tip is to put a big zip lock bag over the filter. When you do spill (and you will) it wont drip all over. And diesel spills will cause rust.

·
Registered
106 Posts
hello all

The fuel filter is real easy to pull out from the top.. We use a strap wrench .. We have change 12 so far in our fleet
takes about 20mins .. Not so bad

From steve

1 - 13 of 13 Posts