Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe this is posted somewhere already but i can't seem to find it.

I have a 2002 2500hd silverado crew cab w/duramax/allison and from here on I want to do my own service.What fluids do i need to change on a regular basis and at what intervals? I have had the engine oil changed about every 10,000 KM at the dealer.The tranny was not touched for the first 80,000 KM and at that time it was drained from plug and replaced with transyn along with the filter.Diff.have not been touched.

Engine ,fuel filter and tranny done at 80,000km and now have 104000 KM on with a trip to Alaska planned for May 11/04--so i want to have everything in top shape before then.

I use this truck as my every day vehicle-mostly highway and I DO NOT TOW or carry excessive weight.

Any and all advice appreciated

Thanks

·
Registered
233 Posts
Here's my scheduled maintenance. Please note I'm not a tech, some may say this schedule is excessive, I consider it cheap insurance!!!

Engine Oil(dino)-5000KM also lube 11 zerk points

Fuel Filter-15,000KM "I don't have a secondary filtration unit"

Transmission Filter-25,000KM

Tranny oil "OEM pan" (Transynd)-pan drained-48,000KM

Transfer Case-40,000KM

Front Diff-40,000KM

Rear Diff-50,000KM

Drive Shaft Splines-50,000KM

Rad Flush-50,000KM

Air Filter-20,000KM "Visual check"

Tire Rotation-12,000-15,000KM

Edited by: TC Dmax

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks TC DMAX.

Do you do this yourself?This DIY stuff is new to me but i got the time and physical ability so i'm trying to learn all i can and get some good advice.

What are drive shaft splines and what maint. do you do with them?

Do you drain front and rear diff''s?

Do you lube your own zerks and if so what do you use?(I have the writeup and pics for this from a post found here)

Rad flush yourself and if so how is this done?

I'm gearin' up for a LONG Alaska trip departing May 9 or 11 and want to make sure my "Pepe" is well dressed

Havn't touched my brakes.They feel ok.Do you have an opinion on them with 100600 km on them?

Thanks again for your kind reply.

·
Registered
233 Posts
burntb4

I do most of my own maintenance, I won't do brakes. I assume you have a 4X4 and if so you will eventually have to lube both driveshafts. There is a special grease for this, ( I have a good relationship with my dealer, they have in the past given me a small container of it instead of buying a whole tube of it. You lube the splines where the shafts enter the transfer case, front and rear. There are no zerks, you have to remove both driveshafts.(Make sure wheels are blocked to prevent rolling, you are disconnecting the driveshafts). Front and rear diffs are drained and re-filled with synthetic 75W90 gear lube, (I switched the front diff over to synthetic, will need the white vent cap to do this though). If you stay with dino in the front diff use 85W90. I get my gear lube from the dealer, I pay $16.00CDN per 946ml =1U.S. quart, and a bit cheaper if I purchase a dozen bottles at a time. I have the Mag Hytech rear diff cover which takes 8 bottles alone and the rest I'll dump in the front and carry the rest with me in the truck. Transfer case I use Transynd also. Chassis lube I use synthetic, it seems a bit stickier than the non synthetic- 11 zerks to do. Rad flush- I had the dealer do this for me when my block heater was replaced. Fairly simple, I believe if you do a search you will find the process. As for brakes I usually have them checked for me before going on a long road trip.

I usually carry a spare fuel,oil,and tranny filter sealed in a zip lock bag with a dessicant pak with me just in case. Also I carry a large and small strap wrench+channel locks in case you need to make a quick fuel filter change on the side of the highway. Hope this explains a few things, have a safe trip!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts