Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Years 2001-2004 come with the LB7(8th digit of VIN is 1) motor that produced 300hp and 520ftlbs at the flywheel. The majority of the programmers for this model will not work on later models and vice versa, however the the Quad Stealth2 tuner is now one tuner that works on them all from 01-05. This model may or may not have a catalytic converter depending on where it was sold, but there is no egr or other electronic equipment as far as I know. These are known to provide better mileage and a bit more power with mods.

While the LB7 was still in production throughout most of 2004 we started seeing the arrival of the new LLY(8th digit of VIN is 2) motor that produced 310hp and 590ftlbs at the flywheel in January of 2004. This motor is the first Duramax with equipment from the factory to meet 2007 emissions standards. It has an egr valve, catalytic converter, and a host of other electronic additions and programming. It is referred to as an 04.5 and this motor remained until late 2005 when it was replaced by the 06 LLY. Programmers for 04.5-05 LLY’s will work on each other, but will not work on LB7 or later models.

Year 2006 introduced a newly revised LLY(8th digit of VIN is 2) and a completely new LBZ(8th digit of VIN is D) motor. The 06 LLY has the new Bosch 32-bit computer and torque goes up to 605. The 06 LLY has the same block as the new LBZ, but without the enhancements. The 06 LBZ also has the new Bosch 32-bit computer along with different programming and internal motor enhancements to handle the increased power and torque it is rated at. The 06 LBZ is rated at 360hp and 650ftlbs at the flywheel. Programmers for the 06 LLY will work only for this model due to the new Bosch computer, but rumor has it that programmers will work for both the 06 LLY and 06 LBZ computers since they are the same units just different programming. Programmers for the LLY and LBZ will not work with previous Duramax computers/engines. The 06 LLY and LBZ also come with a 6-speed tranny

Short and sweet

LB7 - 520tq 300hp
04.5 LLY - 590tq 310hp
05 LLY - 605tq 310hp
06 LLY - 605tq 310hp
06 LBZ - 650tq 360hp

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not Promoting

Just to add to you good information. I have used Edge programmers for both my LLY & LB7. Same programmer and part number. Interchanged to do a little troubleshooting

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Just to add to you good information. I have used Edge programmers for both my LLY & LB7. Same programmer and part number. Interchanged to do a little troubleshooting
You must have something old because there not interchangeable now.
This is just one example.
Note: Model #'s
2001 - 2004 LB7 - DURAMAX CHEVY / GMC - 6.6L JUICE WITH ATTITUDE: CS2 Model #21400
2004.5 - 2005 LLY - DURAMAX, CHEVY / GMC - 6.6L JUICE WITH ATTITUDE: CS2 Model #21401

2001 - 2004 LB7 - DURAMAX, CHEVY / GMC - 6.6L JUICE WITH ATTITUDE: CTS2 Model #21500
2004.5 - 2005 LLY - DURAMAX CHEVY / GMC - 6.6L JUICE WITH ATTITUDE: CTS2 Model #21501

·
Registered
3 Posts
They are first gen programmers. Still available and can update via web...
Edge CS Model #85100. One tuner for several manufacturers, years, and engines. Not driveshaft twisters but very good tunes and simple to swap between them. Lots of options too. Speed limiter, tire size, live data, code reader/clear (on the fly). Hey I got mine NIB for $229. Edge has great support too. I will say that I got a bad one for my Dakota SRT and had to have the ECU re-flashed. Edge paid for it some six months later. Like my earlier post said -- I have one each in my LLY & LB7 and love them. Never dyno'd but they say ~100 extra ponies. I do not run mine on the highest level. I hear they can roast stock injectors... I'm not gonna deliberately ruin my truck -- I just expect a reaction when I step on the throttle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts