Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I was showing my K&N Filterto a friend and he pointed outto me several light holes when the filter was held up to the sun. He's a dirt bike rider and told me about UNI filters which are popular with dirt bikers and said they were made for cars and trucks to. So I looked them up on the internet and was impresssed with what I read and ordered one. While waiting for it, I noticed Kennedy carried them so I asked him his opinion and he gave it a thumbs up. Well it came today and I have to say it looks like a first class product. Already put it in the truck.

2033 GMC Duramax/Allison, Pacoific Welder Service powder coated tool box, LINEX Liner,Nicktane Fuel Filter, Uni Air filter,Trail boss powder coated Running Boards, Drawtite Fiver Hitch and Controller and FUMOTO Oil Drain Valve to be installednext oil change.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
i agree that a UNI or Amsoil type foam filter are the way to go.. had an amsoil one on my truck for 20k and intake is still perfectly clean..

·
Registered
307 Posts
I just cleaned/oiled/reinstalled my Amsoil 2 stage filter and the intake was perfectly clean as well.

Nick,

Which do you like better? The Amsoil or the Uni filter?

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
Does the amsoil stage 2 increase turbo whine like the AFE stage 2, im still on the fence between the two.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Yes you will hear the whine. I would go with the Amsoil over the AFE do to the fact it filters better.

Greg

·
Registered
394 Posts
I concur with Nick regarding the Uni Filter. Superb filter quality/manufacturing; much superior to the Amsoil foam from the few models I have used of each. I am the original K&N/oiled gauze naysayer, with about 10 inches of scar tissue on derriere (long story) from oiled gauze..
George Morrison

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
X - only ran the uni on quads/dirt bikes. defintely works great on there. very well made and keep the intake cleans from dust, which we get a lot of in CA in the summer! haven't seen the durmamax UNI in person. i wonder if it fits as snugly as the amsoil one? anyone tried both? Does the UNI have the same metal frame as the amsoil?Edited by: Diesel Power

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nick I tried an AMSOIL from a friends truck and was impressed with it. The Uni fits very good and is maybe a little better filter for less cost. Cost and quality is what turned towards he Uni. Haven't had the truck out on the highway today because its raining but I think the turbo whine is quieter than with the oem and definitley quieter that with the K&N. Anybody in the San Antonio area want to buy the [email protected] give me a holler. I used it for about 1100 mles, its like new.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I also started running the UNI after seeing the holes in my K&N. It is a very high quality filter with a good sealing gasket. It also has dual stage foam.

·
Registered
97 Posts
UNI

·
Registered
227 Posts
So are you guys in agreement that the K&N isn't a wise investment? My sitters husband has a K&N in his 3500 D/A. Anything that works for him always has always got to work for everyone else - NO! He keeps telling me "you've got to get one" and I don't believe that. I've always used the factory AC filters in the past no matter what GM vehicle I've had.

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
I have had both the amsoil and the UNI on my 03. I am currently running the UNI. IMO and my very unscientific testing(actually no testing, the thing just looks better) I like the UNI much better. The UNI looks much better built. Other pluses are that the UNI's wire mesh is much larger(I would thing better flow but who knows?) And the UNI comes with cleaning solution. JMO but the UNI is the best aftermarket filter I have seen for our trucks. Might be other options out there though?

I have contemplated ditching my set up for a UNI cone/AFE tube just because I want to really here the turbo. Finding it hard to swallow setting a perfectly functioning set up and filter I just paid some $$$ for for another set up that I am going to have to buy another filter for and pitch the one that comes with it just to make more noise

·
Registered
361 Posts
I am useing a K&N. After about 50k I see small holes and I am wanting to swap this one out.
Does any one have a web site where the uni is available ?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Installed my UNI Filter today, nice piece of equipment, very good fit. The piece of metal-rubber that covers the holes in the 2002 fender was coming off and blocking part of the air intake hole. I cut the loose part off and covered the holes with duct tape. Is there a better solution???

SteveEdited by: fishdmax

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I am in the process of switching my K&N to a UNI filter(Thanks Maverick
). Why? Because the overall design of the Uni looks much stronger than that of the K&N. I've never had a bad issue with the K&N, but overall consensus points more towards the foam setup passing less dirt than oiled gauze.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am running the UNI from Kennedy.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Fishdmax--I seen a truck with a piece of aluminum cut a little bigger than the size of the hole in the fender and he had pop-rivited to the inside of the fender. It looked neat and this is how I am going to replace that tape on mine.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts