Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A coworker of mine, who has several vehicles, uses duralube in all his vehicles and swears by the stuff. Have you ever heard of this product, and do you have any thoughts about it? Thanks!

Hoss

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
My personal opinion on additives and such is that if you feel you need them, you better find a better oil.. I have seen the infomercials and heard alot of people tell how great it is, this and that... They all have the ball bearing test to show how great there product is.. One thing I dont understand is that the person who has a product to sell always comes out on top of the ball bearing test with the torque wrench loading it up.. Duralube beats Prolong when the duralube guy does it.. vise versa when the prolong guy does it... Who do we believe anymore?????

I suppose they are not harmfull if used by the directions, but I still think that if one thinks he might need it.....

Eric

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
A lot of these products use Chlorides as the anti wear agent and when combined with condensed water in your oil can form hydrochloric acid which will quickly depleat the additive package in the oil. This if not caught in time can lead to problems.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Snake Oil in my opinion. Same for all Teflon additive products. In those the teflon gets caught by the filter and could (if you use too much) cause it to clog and go into bypass. What's left after that is a little bit of teflon and a lot of dirt....

Use a quality CH-4 or CI-4 rated oil a quality filter (no Fram) and change them regularly and you'll be OK..

Later

1 - 4 of 4 Posts