Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dmaxalliTech:

After extensive reasearch on the web regarding the Duramax/Allison, most owners seem more than satisfied. There are also a fair number of owners who appear to have problems. My question boils down to the following. As a certified GM technician who deals with the Duramax/Allison daily, please comment on the following:

How durable is the Duramax/Allison:100,000, 200,00..... miles. Some forums say this is only a 100,000 mile engine

What are the problem areas, if any,in this combination: alum. heads, injectors, leaks engine /tranny? Has GM fixed most of the problems, and please comment on the service 4x4 problems (transfer case) in the 2003 models

As the owner of a new 2004 Sierra 4x4 cc with duramax/allison, I certainly hope I did not purchase a vehicle that is going to give me problems.

Thanks

Larry

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
Larry, first, congrats on your new truck, it will serve you well.

In regards to owner satisfaction with the trucks, most are very happy with the trucks. Lets not forget that forums like these are likely to bring more unhappy customers becuase they are looking for info on what problems they might have.

I think the key to longevity of any vehicle, including our Duramax is proper maint. Just today I serviced a truck for a gentleman in Iowa, 211,000 miles on his 02. He has NEVER had any warrenty concern and commented that his biggest expense has been tires. Some have claimed high mileage of upwards of 400k. I think that there are more of them out there that we dont know about with high mileage.

Problem areas have been, as we all know, injectors. This is by far the most common trouble with these, most of these troubles have been done away with since the hardened injector came into use in mid-02. The heads are holding up very well, The earlier years did have some small leaks devolop from various sources but overall, are very clean.

I will post the tsb for the 4x4 problem tomarrow in the TSB section. It is a good fix and I havent seen repeat problems when vehicle repaired according to tsb.

·
Registered
276 Posts
dmaxalliTech,

I have a 2002.

I was curious if you know the date that the "hardened injector" became the standard in 02?

Thanks for all your GREAT info!!!

cadman_ks

·
Registered
276 Posts
Thanks for the info.

Now I have to check out my build date. I forgot to do that last nite.

cadman_ks

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
dmaxalliTech said:
I really dont know the exact date, but I estimate it to be around 1-6/02 build dates. All of the productions units that are avail for replacement are of the hanrdend design

Are you saying Jan. 06, 2002, or sometime between Jan. and June?

My truck has a build date of May 29-30, 2002. I guess it has got to be good, if it took 2 days to build

·
Registered
941 Posts
Eric,

What is the difference with the "hardened injectors"?? Are any of the new injectors being "sand blasted" with dirt and wearing away at them also?? I don't want to turn this into a fuel filter debate, so hopefully no one will take it further than this..... I just want to know if there is still a need to protect these "hardened injectors".

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
hd, I mean Jan to June.

4x4man. The hardened injectors use a harder needle and seat that are less prone to pitting, As far as the need to protect them also, I run secondary filtration. Need more reasons? LOL, additional filtration is the best thing you can do.

·
Registered
941 Posts
hhehehehehee

Naw, I guess that is reason enough!! Like everyone says you can't have too clean of fuel. I'm just wondering if this falls along the lines of an oil bypass filter. Great to have all the filtration, but is it really necessary.... It's not a question of money that is for sure. It does give me another excuse to pop the hood though....

Thanks again, you are always there to help people and it is appreciated!!

Bob

·
Registered
36 Posts
dmaxalliTech said : "hd, I mean Jan to June."

Eric, I bought a used '02 D/A June this year - has a build date of 01/02 so the injectors are most likely the old style as they would have been manfd some time late '01?
Oh well- I planned on adding Nick's CAT filter anyway - guess I'd better run rather than walk!

Thanks for all the help you give us.

BTW I have owned three other diesel pickups - this is my first diesel TRUCK - sure is a sweet runner - purely stock but I'll work on that given enuf time and $$$$$.

Bill

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
2 Rig Bill ~ and you said you hardly ever post? Was good to meet you and Don last Sat.

I never cud get a handle on the real build dates. The door says 22 Apr 02, the eng says Feb 02 and the Allison will say something else I'm sure.

Nicks pre OEM is in. Runs great, Nick is a very busy fella. Feeling good that I've done the best I cud do to prevent early injector failures.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Thanks dmax! I was of the understanding that a mid year change would be in the Jan-Mar. time frame. The model year build outs are always in late June to early July, Correct?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Morning, Shumdit

I'm going by the door tag as being the final date with components made in some prior time period - which puts my engine assembly probably in latter '01.

Yeah, had a pretty successful get together didn't we.

Cool avatar! Bill

·
Registered
434 Posts
Hey guys... I am new to the dmax stuff. What is the problem with the older injectors? If I end up buying a used 01 or early 02 what kind of miles would I expect to get out of it before having to buy injectors?? I don't want to buy a time bomb if you get my drift
Thanks for the help,

Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts