Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

I had a tranny failure this morning
. Locked up in second gear forward and reverse only (default according to manual). I immediately called the customer service center number in the manual and they had a tow truck to me in about an hour with authorized dealer to go to for repair. The message I wanted to post here is the tow driver told me I was the fifth same type vehicle in this month for the same tranny failure. I will advise cause and corrective action when I get my truck back.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yikes...sorry to hear that...

my 03 has 37,000 miles with no tranny problems at all..did the tow truck driver say if all the failures were on the 04's?

hopefully it's nothing serious and you're back on the road soon

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
I'd put money on it being something simple. Just because the trans doesn't work does neccessarily mean it failed internally. There are two computers, sensors and switches all outside of the trans. Typically the problems are not internal with this trans.

I remember way back... couple of years ago now... I got all upset cause the truck fell on it's face going up a hill pulling a trailer. I swore it was the trans. I was wrong. I'm not saying you are wrong.. at all. It's jusy easy to jump to conclusions.

If you notice.... Allison tranny failure forum posting is becoming a rare read.

I've got 62,000 perfect miles on mine. Knock on wood.

Good luck and please let us know the rest of the story when you find out!Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update to tranny failure.

I got the toy back today
and the stealer told me that Detroit told them to tell me the following diagnosis, "The computer got confused".
They will be sending me a complete write up and I will post whatever codes and such they have on it. I for the life of me don't agree with that answer a computer is either on or off. My thoughts are that a programmer got confused as they had the truck patched to a telephone and desk top computer while they were talking to Detrooit some tech line.

As stated above the fix was simple but shouldn't have happened. I know allys I have one on my 1953 M211 its a four speed auto with 2 speed transfer case and has been running 50 years or so. But it has no computers, just bands and hydraulic solenoids.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Glad to here it was nothing major.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts

1 - 6 of 6 Posts