Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, since getting my Dmax, one thing I want to do in a hurry is get a pre- or post OEM fuel filter. I'm trying to research this, and its pretty confusing, to say the least, with all the options that seem to be available, and all the debate over whether pre or post OEM is better, and the different kits and different filters, mounts, etc.

So, here's what I guess is a dumb question, or everybody would already be doing it: why doesn't somebody just make one of the better filters, that will filter out the small enough particles and everything, that just fits on the stock filter mount?

Wouldn't that solve everybody's problem, and make all the extra frame mounted, under bed mounted, and under airbox mounted, etc. filters unnecessary?

Is anything like this around? If so, why do people do all the other stuff?Edited by: Brake_Torq

·
Registered
704 Posts
Patent Infringement

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
I doubt it has anything to do with a patent infringement. Since the new fuel filter would have better filtration properties it should not infringe on the patent at all. With that being said, I have no idea why no one offers a better filter. Perhaps other manufacturers such as fram etc can not manufacture a filter as cheap as Racor will sell it to them.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I'm just guessing, because there is alot of money to be made by the first company that can make 2u absolute filter for the Duramax, but perhaps it is the head mount that is patented.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heck, you mean that's the only reason? I thought about that, but I dismissed it. It seems like all that would have to be the same would be the threads and diameter of the seal. How do they patent that? There are lots of brands of oil filters for almost any vehicle. Why is a fuel filter different?

So, are there no replacement filters, other than OEM?

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Amric said:
I'm just guessing, because there is a lot of money to be made by the first company that can make 2u absolute filter for the Duramax, but perhaps it is the head mount that is patented.

I think part of the reason is that there isn't really enough room for a bigger filter. A 2u absolute filter would plug up pretty quick at the stock size. Although the head could easily be spaced out from the bracket to accommodate a longer filter. So as I said before, I still don't know.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Seems I recall someone was going to make an adapter to do just that. I don't know what became of it. In the meantime, instead of pondering and ruminating endlessly, something to which I am prone, I decided to go with Nick's filter many thousands of miles ago and haven't given it another thought.

TC

1 - 7 of 7 Posts