Diesel Place banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone i am new here has anyone put the 2nd alternator on and is it worthwhile??? I have 8.5 western v plow, halagen reverse lights, whelen 90 watt 6 light strobe, quad light rotator on the roof, plus heated mirrors. Does it make sense for me to invest in the set up???

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I don't plow or have dual alternators, but since no one has replied yet, here's my opinion.
As far as this being worth it, probably depends on you, and how much you're willing to spend. If you're willing to spend a $250-$400, I'm sure you'll be better off and happier.
Our alternators at idle only put out about 40-50% of the rated amps at idle. Duals should give you double that of a single. Dual alternators should run cooler that upgrading to a single bigger alternator. Cool should give you longer life.

Eric sells dual alt kits. If you're trying to cut cost, he probably has a take-off alt that you probably can get for < 1/2 the cost of new. As Eric said, buy an extra belt, because spares might be had to find when you really need it.
http://www.gmdieseltech.com/store2/cart.php?target=category&action=view&category_id=279

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
Dual alt kit is nice, or a single 145 amp unit.

Install kits w and w/o the alt are available. Call or PM for info now, new website will have all the options on it when launched

1 - 3 of 3 Posts