Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently puechased 2" spacers for the rear of my 05 dually. question is: when you pull the outer wheel off, you slide the spacer on the studs, you run the provided lug nuts up and tighten them and they self align the spacer because of their acorn shape right? now when you slide the stock wheel onto your new spacer the holes in the wheel are slightly bigger than the studs on the spacer. with the stock GM lug nuts there is no way to get the wheel centered perfectly. could I have bought spacers for a 2500 HD SINCE THEY HAVE ACORN LUG NUTS, ANY HELP?

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
When you install the spacers, use the nuts provided with the spacer to hold it tight to the inner wheel, then use the stock lug nuts to hold the outer wheel to the spacer. If the spacers were machined properly the hub does the centering not the lug nuts. That's how mine are anyways.
JP

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Your spacer should fit the hub on the axle that centers the inside wheel and the spacer should have a ring to center the outer wheel if it does not throw them in the trash and contact: www.wheeladapter.com

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
Your spacer should fit the hub on the axle that centers the inside wheel and the spacer should have a ring to center the outer wheel if it does not throw them in the trash and contact: www.wheeladapter.com
Carhauler,
What ring are you talkin' about? I got my spacers from Fred and there was no ring, or are you talkin' about the little machined lip the protrudes from the spacer?
JP

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Heartbeat , Yes it is the hubcentric ring machined into the spacer ,(lip) a good portion of the spacers out there are just a aluminum slug with lugs and holes a "fit all" spacer , I had Fred do mine for the weld wheels ,I don't know if most aftermarket wheels have the same bore the Weld wheel is about 1/8 bigger than the GM Hub, the way it smoothed the ride was unreal , I got hubcentric ring for the front from Weld and I could feel the difference at 20MPH .

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
Heartbeat , Yes it is the hubcentric ring machined into the spacer ,(lip) a good portion of the spacers out there are just a aluminum slug with lugs and holes a "fit all" spacer ,
Whew! I thought that's what you were talkin' about, but I was little nervous for a second.:D

...a good portion of the spacers out there are just a aluminum slug with lugs and holes a "fit all" spacer,...
Yeah, that's exactly why I got mine Fred also.
JP

·
Registered
55 Posts
no ring = trash

Got mine from Fred also. If it isn't machined concentric with the lip/ring/centralizer you are asking for problems that you don't want to PAY for after the trash is installed.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Fred did mine as well. The little lip is on them. Mine fit snug and it has worked out awesome. If you did not get your adapters from Wheeladapter then you got screwed. Na, just a plug for Fred. But on a seriouse note, they are the best.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dooley

I also purchased my wheel spacers from Fred they are excellent, but acorn lug nuts did not feel comfortable when torqued even to 120 ft. lbs. I purchased new lug nuts at napa much better! Factory torque is 140 ft. lbs. I torqued my spacer lut nuts to 130 ft. lbs. due to the acorn style seating on aluminum and factory outer wheel lug nuts to 140 ft. lbs. Napa part# 641-2137 $1.99 ea. and same size socket fits outer factory lug stud. These nuts have more "meat" outside of studs and a tiny bit more length of thread contact

·
Registered
98 Posts
HEY GUYS I'M NEW HERE I'M GETTING READY TO BUY A DUALLY AND WAS WONDERING WHAT EXACTLY ARE THE SPACERS FOR?:eek:fftopic:

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
HEY GUYS I'M NEW HERE I'M GETTING READY TO BUY A DUALLY AND WAS WONDERING WHAT EXACTLY ARE THE SPACERS FOR?:eek:fftopic:
Yeah, what ROLLOFFHILL said. There isn't much clearance between the two rear tires on a dually, so when you add wider tires that clearance goes away. This allows the two rear tires to rub, causing heat and possible premature failure. This only gets worse when towing as the side walls flex and put more pressure on the tires. Even though the tires may not be touching, once loaded the extra weight will make those side walls flex and they can still rub. Hence, wheel spacers (usually 2") push the outer wheel out away from the inner wheel for extra clearance.

Also, if you look at a truck (single rear wheel) the front wheels stick out more than the rear wheels, the front has a wider track. Using wheel spacers on the rear pushes the rear wheels out to almost the same width as the front and allows for better tracking and stability.
JP

·
Registered
355 Posts
if you are running larger than stock tires, it prevents them from touching each other. touching = heat = tire failure.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Anyone have side pictures of their wheels with the 2" spacers and larger tires? Any comments on Alcoa wheels on the 05 Dually trucks are welcomed also.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
Anyone have side pictures of their wheels with the 2" spacers and larger tires? Any comments on Alcoa wheels on the 05 Dually trucks are welcomed also.
Well if you are going to run aftermarket wheels (Alcoa) and you are gonna run reasonably wider tires, i.e. 235/85/16's then you probably won't need spacers due to the offset and wheel thickness of the Alcoas. You might even get away with 245/75/16's on the Alcoas, but any wider and you'll still need spacers. Sorry no pics.
JP

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
This is one of the members trucks (or maybe it was his dad's). It looked cool so I saved the pics. Don't know what post I got it from, but I think he said it was the 2" spacers.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
Wow! That is a lot of clearance I wonder what size tires those are.....maybe 265's? ALso, I doubt the spacers could be wider than 2" since that takes up practically all of the remaining hub space. Good pics though, thanks for posting.
JP

·
Registered
9,314 Posts
Wow! That is a lot of clearance I wonder what size tires those are.....maybe 265's? ALso, I doubt the spacers could be wider than 2" since that takes up practically all of the remaining hub space. Good pics though, thanks for posting.
JP
Those are 35 inch tall tires. And if I remember correct they are on 17 in rims.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Duh...repeat post! It would have helped if I read the second page!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts