Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i keep kicking around the idea of 19.5s and am currently trying to figgure out a solution that wolnt cost me 4k. i am wondering if someone could put 235/85r16 on the rear, and 265/75r16 up front.... they have an overall diameter of 31.90 and 31.74.... as far as 4wd goes it would work. but will a 265 mount on a stock, or aftermarket rim? it reccommends a 7" rim... i see guys running 285 and bigger on the pyo rims so i suppose it would work? what im trying to do is put a little more tread up front to float the weight of the beast under the hood.... tends to drop like an anchor in the mud...

·
Registered
252 Posts
I had 235/85-16 on my 01 dually. it really made a big difference in the way it looked. it even rode better. my tires were bridgestone Revos, it did change the tranny shift points a little but not a problem. the biggest concern was how close the rear tires came to each other. they didn,t touch but you had to always maintain air pressure to keep them as far apart as possible, there was no more than 1/4" between them if that. I have seen some others that had more clearance with the same size, so different brands could be different. any way they just look so much better than the stock 215/85-16. the overall tire size is also about 4% greater than the stock tire. the recommended is 3% or less to avoid any ABS issues.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have 255/85R16's without spacers and no problems
Scott

·
Registered
107 Posts
chevmeister said:
i keep kicking around the idea of 19.5s and am currently trying to figgure out a solution that wolnt cost me 4k. i am wondering if someone could put 235/85r16 on the rear, and 265/75r16 up front.... they have an overall diameter of 31.90 and 31.74.... as far as 4wd goes it would work. but will a 265 mount on a stock, or aftermarket rim? it reccommends a 7" rim... i see guys running 285 and bigger on the pyo rims so i suppose it would work? what im trying to do is put a little more tread up front to float the weight of the beast under the hood.... tends to drop like an anchor in the mud...

I looked into these too. I'd love to have some of these. the tires are very expensive, although they supposedly last longer.

It is way too expensive to install 19.5" wheels. I looked into wheel adapters, and priced wheels and tires. Perhaps if you can find some used big rig wheel and polish them up, it might be an option. Perhaps you can find a used tractor rig and replace the wheels with cheap steel wheels. If you have to buy new, then low cost option is clearly to stick with 16" wheels.

I'd like to know what the stock wheels and trim rings weigh compared to the Alcoa aluminium wheels. Since I plan to go with bigger tires, I feel cutting wheel weight would partially offset the extra weight on the outer portion of the wheel. Since the angular momentum is greater on the outer portion of the tire i would be intesting to see what the horsepower loss would where the wheel meets the pavement.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Turfmower...how much space do you have between the rears? What brand? I'm getting close to have to time and I'd sure like to go with 235s, but I'm worried about the spacing since I do tow heavy.Thanks

·
Registered
687 Posts
I know LOTS of guys with dually's and Dump trucks running 235/85's, but......None are NBS GM trucks.

They physically fit our style trucks, but if your dropping more than 4000lbs in the bed, I heard that the sidewalls slightly kiss even at 80 psi.

Why wouldn't a 1/4" spacer do the trick?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts