Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question.....

It appears that the outside rear tires are wearing faster
than the inner rears and the fronts....... is this the case?

Most of my 33,000 miles was pulling a 10,000 trailer Edited by: 56Nomad

·
Registered
612 Posts
Have 52,000+ miles on my 3500's original tires ... also pull a 10,000-11,000 lb. trailer and my tires appear to be good for at least another 20,000 miles ... have followed the book recommended 7 tire rotation pattern every 5,000 miles and looking at them, they all appear to have about the same amount of tread left .... you didn't mention tire rotation, with out it, I have no ideal how my tires would look

Jim

·
Registered
29 Posts
56 nomad,

Mines doing the same, it's the curse of the Dually's. I can't rotate my wheels because of my aftermarket aluminum wheels so therefore I'll have to change them out as required.

mowser

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It would seem that the outer rear tires would be more
typically scrubbed upon turning because they are taking
a bigger turning radius then the inner's. That would be my
theory??

Rotation would certainly add to the longevity of our
7 tires.

(However, if you're inclined to stay with stock tires.....)
I think instead of including the spare in the rotation, just
rotate the 6 until they need replacement. Put the best
of the worn 6 to replace the new spare and you'll only
need to buy 5 tires the second time around.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
As Mac has said about Dooley's and tires "rotate, rotate, rotate..."

I've driven Dooleys since '85 and if you don't rotate the tires, you'll buy tires a lot more frequently. That's the reason I gave up on custom wheels and run the stainless steel simulators on my trucks, trying to rotate tires when you have to dismount, re-mount, and re-balance everytime is just not something I want to do.

I've not been real religious about it, I start thinking about rotating them at 5,000 and make sure it's done before 7,000 miles. I've noticed a significant increase in wear problems if I go more than 7,000 without rotating.

YMMV, but that's been my experience with previous 3500's, I plan on following that with the new truck as well.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Zeeb,

It's still the same. I rotate mine on a 6 wheel basis, ocassionally pull around 20,000 or so and have 72,000 on the stock tires. They will go 75,000 but no more.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
This may sound a bit simplistic, but tire pressure differences between inner & outer tires can contribute to excessive tire wear especially when towing. And, tire pressure differences can exsaserbate the turning situtation you mentioned. One other thing, I neglected to rotate my tires for the first 18,000 miles and the result was a $360 tab for two new front tires. Tire pressure and rotate.

JPEdited by: Heartbeat Hauler

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
One other thought, I have read some posts where it was mentioned that the road itself is actually crowned a bit and the outside tire may not fully contact the road as much (or as much weight)as the inner tire. Something to think about

JP

·
Registered
29 Posts
56nomad,

What do your front tires look like? I mean are they wearing or cupping on the inside edges?............Mine are and I'm taking it in to have the alignment checked tomorrow, down here in South Texas. I'm hoping that with around 30,000 miles that I don't have any worn out parts in the front end......I've ordered a set of Bilsteins from our buddy Kennedy and I'm hoping that, that is a solution to the tire wear if the alignment is OKEY-DOKEY.....what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mowser and all,

My stock 2002 tires are Goodyear Wranglers AT/S
They seem to be holding up very well.

Current mileage: 33150

Using a tire guage, my 7 tires show anywhere from
35% to 40% wear.

Here are the intervals that I've rotated my 7 dually tires:

Maybe I'm nit pickin too much, but it appears the greatest
amount of wear on my tires comes off any 2 tires when they
are located on the outside rear postition.

I've had no excessive wear on the front tires

One item which seems contradictory:

Page 3-94 Vol 1 of 5 2001 Helm's manual
Dual wheel nuts 175 lb-ft
Single wheel nuts 140 lb-ft

However our owners manual Page 6-86
C/K 3500 140 lb-ft

·
Registered
107 Posts
I haven't rotated my tires yet. It is a pain in the butt. Of course, I don't particularly care about my stock tires--I want them to wear out so I can replace them with more aggressive, larger diameter tires.

One front tire popped on me recently while parked. I was standing nearby when it happened. It sounded like a rifle shot. Inspection revealed a tear on the inner sidewall. I was unable to avoid hitting a branch in the road a week prior to this, which I suspect caused the tear. I replace this blown tire with the spare and bought a new tire for the other side. Basically I put new tires on both sides in the front.

I was about to make this swap anyway, but had held off debating whether to chuck out all six tires, or the cheaper option buying just one tire. I chose the cheaper option and I'll plan to replace the whole set next year with All-Terrain tires.

I don't much care for rotation. I like to keep "NEW" tires on my steering wheels and rotate by buying new tires for the front. If I need a new tire in the back, I rotate a front tire back there and put a new tire on the front. I think it is a good idea to never let the front tires get below 40% on the tread.

I'm unworried about rear flats. With dual tires back there, I have a spare already mounted. And the noise of rear flat will give me time to pull over under control.

On the other hand, losing a steering tire at high speed, or with a trailer on the back is potentially fatal. That danger can be minimized by keeping new tires mounted on the front.

Some years ago I was sleeping in the back of my 6.2 diesel K5 Blazer when a friend was driving it. Here is what I reconstructed afterwards. The front right tire picked up a screw which did not seal and caused a slow leak. He told me he saw and hit something in the road passing through a town a few miles before the accident. The tire pressure was getting low, and he told me something felt funny just before the accident.

Then while passing, driving too fast, he was spooked by an on-coming vehicle in the other lane, and made too sudden turn to get back in the right lane. This broke the bead on the tire causing the last of the air to escape suddenly. Imagine how I felt when I woke to find the truck about to roll over. He almost killed all three of us. Fortunately we did not roll--barely, and I didn't have to find out if the fiberglass gap would have protected me. All I needed was a new brake disk, tire and wheel.

What would have helped prevent something like this? Obviously road hazards will take out tires. However, a new tire with lots of tread can survive a road hazard better than an older tire.

In one case while inspecting my tires, I found a 1/2" by 6" bolt in a brand new rear tire, and it did not go flat! Judging by the wear on the bolt I didn't spot it right away or even feel it! I spotted it doing a pre-trip inpsection. If it were not a new tire, with lots of rubber, it would have blown out on me on the road. It would not have been too big a deal on a rear tire, but it could have been on a front tire.

So, doesn't it make sense to keep new tires on your steering wheels?

I'd like to find some run-flat tires for my truck. I could not find anything for my dually. Maybe that will change.

By the way, I am very careful with tire inflation.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I need help...do not know where else to ask...been member for years but little posts. I have a chevy ck3500 dually and want to put BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A 235/85/16 on rear, all four. Got a good used tire price. Keep my Dakota Dynasty 235/85/16 on front. Can I put the all terrain tires on rear without spacers please help, any concerns!!!
Dan

·
Registered
44 Posts
Actually just reading about this in the owners manual for my 2014 Denali with aluminum rims and it says to rotate the tires every 12K miles. The drivers front goes to the pass front, pass front goes to the drivers front. Then the drivers duels goes to the pass side (No movement of tires inner to out board) Its just a side to side swap. Inner stays as a inner and the outer stays as a outer. I know old ways was rotation and direction should be maintained. But this is what is in the book. If you want to rotate the spare it says to put that on the inner of the rear duels no set side.

Chuck
PAE

1 - 13 of 13 Posts