Diesel Place banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the low down on adding spacers between the dual wheel? I am thinking about putting some 285/75/16 tires on Alcoa Magnum wheels. In 0rder for them to fit I will need spacers. I this a good idea for those of you that used them? Should I use billet or steel. I do not pulling anything heavy.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Let us know how this works. I can't lift my truck,towing, But I want real tires

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
Road Boss,

I posted a few questions to a wheel vendor over on the Page, and he said that using spacers is unsafe. His reasoning was that the wheels are hub centric, which I think means the hub carries some of the weight. If you use a spacer then all of the weight is on the studs. It made sense, but I don't know if he is trying to sell wheels or what. Anyways, you might wanna talk to some wheel shops and see if you can get some Yeah or Nay info.

JP

·
Registered
72 Posts
Road Boss I'm havn't got pics yet. I just ordered a custom 5" tip. The system fit real nice but no tip,just pipe, and the angle behind the mudflap didn't look right.I'll get pics up in acouple weeks.I just noticed you are here in CA. That means you got stuck with a catylitic converter, you can go huge on the exhaust if you keep the cat, it chokes it down to 3.5" and keeps it halfway quiet. after my warranty is up i am sure my cat will fall off and the truck will sound better,louderEdited by: painter

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I guess the guy at this wheel shop wants me buy them cause he says that they are ok if you don't haul a 5 wheel. I have talk with other wheel people and they wouldn't recommend it unless you run empty. I guess I will just save up and go with 19.5. Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
170 Posts
If you go with the 19.5" wheels...won't you STILL need wheel adapters? Won't they still move the wheel outward putting more stress on the wheel bearings, etc.

I want wheels & tires that don't look undersized Too

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Maxxis has some 265/85-16 Buckshot mudders ( great winter tires w/ studs) and 33" height close to same as 285/75-16 and run the 285 on front.

These are a mud type tire and do pretty good on snow too.

Other tire co. make the 255 or 265/85 tire

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Maxxis is the brand name of the tires, maxxis.com.

The higher profile gives u the bigger diameter and since u have duals u'll have the width too.

·
Registered
396 Posts
What is the minimal gap between tires on a dually? I will be towing a 5'er and don't want to rub when loaded. Is the factory spacing on stock tires a little overkill or what? I want to run 265/75/16 Goodyear MTR's.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My factory 225's rubbed unless they were fully inflated, I switched to 235/85's and they are fine.

JohnEdited by: IndigoDually

·
Registered
170 Posts
My 225's- 1 inch of clearance -unloaded

My 235's - 1/2 inch of clearance- unloaded

1 - 15 of 15 Posts