Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HAs anyone done a dually conversion using the factory 2500 axle housing? From what I found from research I figured that I could just swap the rear hubs and axles out to make up for the offset, but I would like to find out if someone on here has done this before. Thanks

·
Registered
327 Posts
you'd be better off switchin the full axle out I think the axles are different width... plus if you find someone sitchin the other way y'all can switch boxes too! Ten you only have to paint.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dually conversion

I have the wheels the box and the paint and I have a paint area set up in my shop so thats no big deal. I just wanted to know what all would need to be changed cause I cant find a dually axle withen 600 miles of kansas city and thoes they want over a grand for.

http://www.southwestwheel.com/chevyconversion.htm

Has anyone used these spacers? How do you think they would hold up? Im running a 30ft gooseneck fully loaded weighs about 22k-24k. Im guessing thats about 7k on the rear axle depending on the load.

·
Registered
124 Posts
if you swap the rear end make sure that the spring mounts on the dually axle are identical to the ones on your stock axle... some trucks bend in or out at the rear...

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yeah the stock GM frame actually tapers in before the rear axle but if you swap a GM 3500HD dually rear axle into a GM 2500HD you should be alright

·
Registered
992 Posts
http://www.wheelspacer.com/ go into this site, some good looking parts. I wouldnt fear using spacers, the housing is plenty strong, not like adding spacers to a half ton axle or anything.

·
Banned
720 Posts
if you find someone that has converted the dually to singles you may be able to do a swap a good dually rear end for a grand is cheap around here they are 1600 and up depending on the model

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dually comversion went smooth, well for the most part. I was installing the dually bed and the B&W Turnover Ball hitch was right in the way of onw of the bed supports. I had to cut out the support. The biggest problem I had was that I ordered the spacers from {T A W MANUFACTURING CO. or T.E.A Manufacturing or chromewheel.com} and they never showed up, I called them and they said there was a shipping proble so I waited and they wouldnt give me a tracking number and they stopped answering their phone. Yea I never got my spacers from them I had to dispute the charge and file with the bbb. Whatch out if you ever order from them. But besides that problem the truck looks nice and I plan on painting the bed in about 2 weeks. Thanks for everyones help.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
:nopics:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got the spacers they fit perfect and they look verry solid. So far they hold up I roller accross the scales at 32,000 last week going to Green River wy. Held up great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts