Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I appreciate you all having patience with what may be a silly question.

My truck (the Chassis that is, because that's about all that's original) is a '75 GMC. The vin plate gives a 6,800 lb GVWR rating, which makes me think it was originally a half ton truck. When I bought the truck a few years ago it had a 14 bolt rear end and what looks like about a one ton suspension (eight leaf springs on each side) I've hauled 3,000+ lbs in the bed with no problems. I'm hinking of putting on a dump bed and dual rear wheels in hopes of regularly hauling 2+ tons.

My questions are:
Can the chassis/frame handle this kind of weight?
Can I put dual rear wheels on the existing 14 bolt rear end?
Am I begging for trouble if I get pulled over carrying a couple tons of material in a 6,800 lb GVWR vehicle?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
thumbsmasher;1595154; said:
I appreciate you all having patience with what may be a silly question.

My truck (the Chassis that is, because that's about all that's original) is a '75 GMC. The vin plate gives a 6,800 lb GVWR rating, which makes me think it was originally a half ton truck. When I bought the truck a few years ago it had a 14 bolt rear end and what looks like about a one ton suspension (eight leaf springs on each side) I've hauled 3,000+ lbs in the bed with no problems. I'm hinking of putting on a dump bed and dual rear wheels in hopes of regularly hauling 2+ tons.

My questions are:
Can the chassis/frame handle this kind of weight?
Can I put dual rear wheels on the existing 14 bolt rear end?
Am I begging for trouble if I get pulled over carrying a couple tons of material in a 6,800 lb GVWR vehicle?

Thanks for the help

yes, but i dont know for how long it can handle it.
yes, but i believe a single rear wheel 14b is wider than a dually 14b when measured from wheel mount to wheel mount.
yes, if you plate it for 6800lbs. get some 10k plates and roll on.

i have hauled 2+ tons of rock on an old dually dump truck like you have or are trying to build. they will do it, but it sucks when your driving it...

·
Registered
63 Posts
1/2 ton trucks would have been 5200# GVWR approximately. You have at least a 3/4 ton truck chassis. The GVWR of 3/4 tons varies from around 6200-7500# in those older trucks.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I had a 92 2500 loaded to weigh 12500, it wasn't too bad. The weakest link is probably the trans.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts